VStrom hand guard question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girevikdavid

Reaction score
I just installed the VStrom hand guards and have a couple of questions to my more mechanical brothers.

Here's the reference for the basic idea. https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30.

1. what the heck are the screws (Suzuki part #02142-06107) and the nuts (08319-21068) for? I couldn't determine a purpose for them on this mod.

2. is it OK for the clutch lever bolt ((57431-06G00) to not be tightened down as far as it was originally with the Yamaha parts? By putting a washer and nut underneath as I hoped was correct to do, the bolt if tightened all the way down would eat right through the plastic of the hand guard. So - as it stands now on my mod, the brake lever is tightened down to pretty much what the original factory nut/bolt was, but the clutch side is a little looser - not sloppy loose but not tight either.

3. with the hand guard throttle side end piece 'clamped' on the bar between the grip and the end weight, the grip end is pinched and produces friction when accelerating/deaccelerating. Prior to cutting off the end lip of the grip that is causing this friction, I thought I'd ask is it safe to just leave it the way it is. I don't see any real obvious problem other than if you take a spill the throttle won't roll back to idle.

What do more mechanical minds think please?

Thanks.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
1 - The only screws I can think of are the chrome ones which go into the top of the shouldered bolt to hold the hand guard in place.

2 - I tightened mine down until it was tight, then put the top of the hand guard over the top and put the screw in to hold it. The clutch side was no problem for me, but on the throttle side I did have to sctretch the hand guard a bt to get it on top of the shoulder of the bolt. I found it worked OK like that but was better after I added about a quarter inch more threads to the shouldered bolt by carefully grinding the shoulder and cutting threads with a 6mm die. The nut on the bottom still cuts into the plastic of the hand guard a bit.

3 - I used my dremel to enlarge the hole in the hand guard where it hooks over the bar end weight so that it fit onto the shoulder of the bar end. I then thinned this part of the hand guard until there was very little friction between the hand guard and the throttle. Later I installed BMW sport grips which are shorter and would clear the hand guard without having to thin the guard.

thank you for your reply but I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you insert the "shouldered" bolt and then put the handguard over it and secure it with a screw into the bolt? I was putting the bolt outside the handguard and then tightening so that the entire bolt head stuck up from the hand guard.

That would explain how to get the bolt back to proper torque I guess.

Am I on the right track now?

How many washers did you use and were they for the top or the bottom of the shouldered bolt - where the 'shoulder' is or where the nut goes.

I'm sorry, but i'm new to all this.

David

thank you for your reply but I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you insert the "shouldered" bolt and then put the handguard over it and secure it with a screw into the bolt? I was putting the bolt outside the handguard and then tightening so that the entire bolt head stuck up from the hand guard.
That would explain how to get the bolt back to proper torque I guess.

Am I on the right track now?

How many washers did you use and were they for the top or the bottom of the shouldered bolt - where the 'shoulder' is or where the nut goes.

I'm sorry, but i'm new to all this.

David
Yes, the shouldered bolt goes on first. The hand guard goes over the top of it. I thought that may have been your problem.

I did not put a washer between the bolt and the top of the lever mount. I used a washer between the first nut and the bottom of the lever mount, then the handguard, then another washer and the second nut. The bottom hole of the handguard got pressed up to where it is actually around the first (upper) nut.

Ah, now I've got it! The extra bolts suggested are to put one between the lever mount and the bottom of the handguard which is then secured by the second nut.

It all begins to make sense!

Thanks much,

David :D

Cool. I find the hand guards make a big difference when the temperatures drop below about 45 F. They also protect your hands from hard rain and bugs and such. I took them off during the hot weather but didn't feel any cooler with them off.

A little help please. Does anyone know...or has anyone done...the V-Strom hand guard install with the Big Bike Parts heated grips installed (they are really for the Goldwing GL1800 but will fit the FJR). I'm concerned that the hand guards won't fit properly with the heated grips since they are longer than the OEM grips.

The Big Bike Parts grip heaters look nice and installed easily on my '06. However, they do not heat up to a temperature that will keep your hands warm in weather below 45 degrees in my opinion. Or, does anyone know how to get the heated grips to warm to a higher temperature? Or, are mine just wimpy and should actually put out more heat? So, assuming there is no way to get more heat from them, I'm looking for a way to block the cold air off the grips which will then make the grip heaters feel warm on very cold days.

Any thoughts or suggestions...from those experienced in what I'm talking about here...would be most appreciated. And, lastly, where is the best place to get a complete kit with everything you need for the install (if there is such a kit for the FJR).

Thanks,

Fjrtn

A little help please. Does anyone know...or has anyone done...the V-Strom hand guard install with the Big Bike Parts heated grips installed (they are really for the Goldwing GL1800 but will fit the FJR). I'm concerned that the hand guards won't fit properly with the heated grips since they are longer than the OEM grips.
The Big Bike Parts grip heaters look nice and installed easily on my '06. However, they do not heat up to a temperature that will keep your hands warm in weather below 45 degrees in my opinion. Or, does anyone know how to get the heated grips to warm to a higher temperature? Or, are mine just wimpy and should actually put out more heat? So, assuming there is no way to get more heat from them, I'm looking for a way to block the cold air off the grips which will then make the grip heaters feel warm on very cold days.

Any thoughts or suggestions...from those experienced in what I'm talking about here...would be most appreciated. And, lastly, where is the best place to get a complete kit with everything you need for the install (if there is such a kit for the FJR).

Thanks,

Fjrtn
Bump up. :clapping:

Also, see FJRFencers post about Big Bike Parts grip heaters over on the "Parts and Accessories" section of the forum. Is there any way to get more heat out of these things???? :yahoo:

Fjrtn

The VStrom guards negate to a degree the need for heated grips-until it's really cold. I have 'em, and no heated grips, and ride comfortably down to 30 degrees with just good gloves. They also help in keeping hands dry-something the grips can't do.

The VStrom guards negate to a degree the need for heated grips-until it's really cold. I have 'em, and no heated grips, and ride comfortably down to 30 degrees with just good gloves. They also help in keeping hands dry-something the grips can't do.
Thanks for your feedback Radman. Would you have any clue as to whether or not the hand guards would work with the longer than OEM "Big Bike Parts" grip heaters (they are 5 3/4" long according to their website...but I have not measured mine)?

Fjrtn

I want to put the VSTROM guard on a 06A before winter hits!

Went to a Suzuki dealer and gave him the part #s from fjrtech here, but he got quickly confused and wanted me to reconfirm with the forum here, so here goes.

I went to this catalog and selected Suzuki, 2004 (or 2006), looked up KNUCKLE COVER for parts list.

Here's the summary of the cross-check between fjrtech and the catalog.

57541-06G10-291 Description: COVER,KNUCKLE,L $14.52

57341-27G00-291 Description: COVER,KNUCKLE,R $14.52

The prices for the ABS covers are lower ... but they look like the right parts from the schematic.

OK 2 02142-06107 Screw --> SCREW $1.04 each

OK 4 09160-06130 Washer --> WASHER $0.94 each

OK 2 08319-21068 Nut --> NUT $0.67 each

OK? 2 57431-06G00 Screw --> BOLT $12.60 each

(Why is this Screw / BOLT price so high? I wonder if it is the right part #?)

?? 2 08316-10063 Nut --> NUT, LICENSE PLATE BRK $1.06 each

(For this last item the catalog description says for "LICENSE PLATE BRK" - hmmm, is this the right part#? What is this for?)

Thanks!

OK? 2 57431-06G00 Screw --> BOLT $12.60 each[/b](Why is this Screw / BOLT price so high? I wonder if it is the right part #?)

(For this last item the catalog description says for "LICENSE PLATE BRK" - hmmm, is this the right part#? What is this for?)

Thanks!
If you've copied the numbers down correctly from the article--they're right. Warchild's pretty good about his accuracy. He wouldn't have gone to the trouble of publishing the article if it weren't.

The Suzuki description shorthand doesn't do them justice. The screw is actually a funky shouldered bolt unlike any you've seen or are going to get at Home Depot. Some have jury-rigged some alternatives by wandering the aisles. If you feel you must do the same....the Search button will become your friend.

OK? 2 57431-06G00 Screw --> BOLT $12.60 each[/b]

(Why is this Screw / BOLT price so high? I wonder if it is the right part #?)

Thanks!
If you've copied the numbers down correctly from the article--they're right. Warchild's pretty good about his accuracy. He wouldn't have gone to the trouble of publishing the article if it weren't.

The Suzuki description shorthand doesn't do them justice. The screw is actually a funky shouldered bolt unlike any you've seen or are going to get at Home Depot. Some have jury-rigged some alternatives by wandering the aisles. If you feel you must do the same....the Search button will become your friend.
Ignacio: I didn't mean to question the accuracy of the article ... simply wanted to know what the above mentioned 2 parts are for as I couldn't make it out in the pics.

Warchild: Where does the funky bolt go? Is there an alternative? $12.60 each is steep for a bolt!

Ignacio: I didn't mean to question the accuracy of the article ... simply wanted to know what the above mentioned 2 parts are for as I couldn't make it out in the pics.
Warchild: Where does the funky bolt go? Is there an alternative? $12.60 each is steep for a bolt!
I know. I'm just saying it's all been discussed on the board before and very available via Search. Do you want me to find it for you?

I know. I'm just saying it's all been discussed on the board before and very available via Search. Do you want me to find it for you?
There are posts but without pics and I am not sure why there are a total of 4 screws/bolts and 4 nuts. I can see L/R 1+1 screws/bolts (2 locations), but not the other 1+1. What discussion did I miss?

If you know what to look for, please do and post.

There are posts but without pics and I am not sure why there are a total of 4 screws/bolts and 4 nuts. I can see L/R 1+1 screws/bolts (2 locations), but not the other 1+1. What discussion did I miss?

No pics? I found two sets very quickly with +handguard +Vstrom in one search.....and +handguard +V-strom in another because of the way people may spell it.

1) How about this one? It's the Gen 1 handguards, but the bolts and hardware arrangement is very close. It includes close-up (as much as I could do on my camera) of bolts, nuts, and washers (I used).

2) Or this one that includes close-ups of the shouldered bolt you had a question about.

Ignacio

Just order the kit from FJR Goodies, Glenn the Guru has the kit all together. One shot no mistakes.

Or maybe it was Gary at University motors. Someone help me here I am so confused.

I am very happy to report that I, the world's least mechanical guy, successfully installed the handguards and then put on BMW sportgrips to complete the package.

I found all the extra nuts in the requisite list to be unnecessary. In fact, after securing the handguards with the top (shouldered bolt), I found a pair of spacers from the stuff left over from installing a Givi box and they fit perfectly on the bottom negating the need for a bunch of little nuts and washers. just the Givi box spacer and a nut to secure it worked perfectly.

Couldn't have done it without the forum help - thanks!

David

No pics? I found two sets very quickly with +handgaurd +Vstrom in one search.....and +handgaurd +V-strom in another because of the way people may spell it.

1) How about this one? It's the Gen 1 handguards, but the bolts and hardware arrangement is very close. It includes close-up (as much as I could do on my camera) of bolts, nuts, and washers (I used).

2) Or this one that includes close-ups of the shouldered bolt you had a question about.

Ignacio
Thank you