Vstron hand guard kit question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just installed the throttle side to see what it looked like. Looks like it was designed for the FJR! :yahoo: Definitely binds the throttle without a spacer. Nothing suitable here so I guess I'm off to the Hardware store to find an appropriate washer(s). Also noticed that the Suzuki Lever bolt, although it works, is not quite right as the hex does not sit against the lever casting. Anyone know if there is an issue with not 'clamping' the lever assembly? Won't effect operation but looks 'wrong' to me. Oh well, short of buying a lathe, I guess it's good enough!
The oem hardware really didn't work so I made my own. I had the throttle binding problem so I also made some barends to suit. Tried them out today and really like 'em.

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02382.jpg
Damn gearman that is some nice stuff you machined up. I bet there are many of us on this forum that would buy your hardware to do this install including me. I just made do with the hardware that came on the dl650 kit.

Eric

Just installed the throttle side to see what it looked like. Looks like it was designed for the FJR! :yahoo: Definitely binds the throttle without a spacer. Nothing suitable here so I guess I'm off to the Hardware store to find an appropriate washer(s). Also noticed that the Suzuki Lever bolt, although it works, is not quite right as the hex does not sit against the lever casting. Anyone know if there is an issue with not 'clamping' the lever assembly? Won't effect operation but looks 'wrong' to me. Oh well, short of buying a lathe, I guess it's good enough!
The oem hardware really didn't work so I made my own. I had the throttle binding problem so I also made some barends to suit. Tried them out today and really like 'em.

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02382.jpg
Wow, almost exactly what I have sketched out to have made. Did you size the smaller diameter where the guard attaches to the 16mm size of the guards original clip or the 20mm of the OEM bar end? (Looks like the 16mm to me.) How much for a set of Bar Ends and Pivot Bolts?

I went with the 16mm dia. If I can get some machine time I will make some up. The lever bolts will be black oxided and the barends will have radiused corners instead of champhers...and maybe slightly longer. Personally I think they would look better in gloss black powdercoat.

I went with the 16mm dia. If I can get some machine time I will make some up. The lever bolts will be black oxided and the barends will have radiused corners instead of champhers...and maybe slightly longer. Personally I think they would look better in gloss black powdercoat.
Nice work gearman. I would be interested in the barends if you make some up!

Nice stuff you machined up there Gearman :clapping: :clapping:

I myself simply used a washer to bring my bar end out a bit so the guard didn't bind the throttle. I also just used the stock bolts. This seems to put the guard a bit lower than yours shows (as it mounts directly on the brake/clutch housing), but I don't need the extenders on the bottom. I did have to trim a bit more plastic from them than I thought I would have to, but they look and work great. I paid $26 USD for both. Up here they want $80 for the pair........crazy Canadian prices. :angry: :angry:

I'm with mogul, I'd be interested.

I'm with mogul, I'd be interested.
Gearman,

I'm looking for some heavy bar ends to cut down on the buzz and I'm going to install the V-strom hand guards. I'm interested if you decide to make some.

Bill

A small window of nicer weather forced me to finish installing my guards so I could go for a ride. To ensure proper attachment of the bar ends, I had to use 3 washers on each side. Guards fit beautifully with no trimming other than enlarging the 'clip' diameter to 20mm. The effect of the wind protection was immediately noticeable and it amazed me how much warmer my hands were staying.

I'd have to buy new guards as I have enlarged the opening on the guards for the stock 20mm diameter... unless you'd make me a set with a 20mm dia. :unsure: I agree that they'd look better in Black.

Nice stuff you machined up there Gearman :clapping: :clapping:
I myself simply used a washer to bring my bar end out a bit so the guard didn't bind the throttle. I also just used the stock bolts. This seems to put the guard a bit lower than yours shows (as it mounts directly on the brake/clutch housing), but I don't need the extenders on the bottom. I did have to trim a bit more plastic from them than I thought I would have to, but they look and work great. I paid $26 USD for both. Up here they want $80 for the pair........crazy Canadian prices. :angry: :angry:
Out of curiosity, what trimming did you have to do?

Nice stuff you machined up there Gearman :clapping: :clapping: I did have to trim a bit more plastic from them than I thought I would have to, but they look and work great.
Out of curiosity, what trimming did you have to do?

Just a bit at the front to clear the throttle cables and clutch/grip warmer lines. Perhaps I was a bit zealous in my prior post about excessive trimming <_<

It really wasn't that much. I'll post up a photo for ya.