Wanna See a Darn Good Looking Bike!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Benjammer, congrats, but I see 1 thing that you DO really need to do, and that's GET A SET OF FRAME SLIDERS on your new baby! Don't wait to do it, as it's the best investment you can make, and you may be able to avoid the hassle of trying to kick yourself in the butt, later!

Congrats on the new purchase! I just picked up my '10 about 6-7 weeks ago. Can't keep off the damn thing, have 3,700 miles on it already!

Like was said above, the expensive part of owning this bike is yet to come! Once you start farkling you just can't stop! They are like some damn expensive potato chips!

Yeah, my first official farkle was that I installed the Ring Terminal Harness for my Battery Tender. I also have a Motopump (https://motopumps.com/)with a SAE Connector that I can plug right in if needed.

My Second and OCD Farkle should be in the mail tomorrow....The Full Body "TankSlapper" 3M Protection Kit ... sorta like a body condom for the bike!

Some of you had mentioned the frame sliders, so maybe that'll be next. Nothing would hurt my Feelings & Pride more than to drop a new ride.

Something I'm entertaining is possibly putting the FJR Logo (Like on the '08) on the fairing. I really with they would have stuck with that. It looks really sharp IMO. I found these on EBAY...

https://compare.ebay.com/like/250786634344?var=bingv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=224260567983&crlp=1_263602_325002&UA=WXI7&GUID=c14a980412c0a0437400c840ffde526f&itemid=250786634344&ff4=263602_325002

Again, Thanks for all the Feedback.

You'll notice that the tank slapper kits aren't what they're made out to be...

After I had mine on for a couple years small bits of moisture, dust, grime ect. gets underneath them, along edges and even further in... have some VERY tiny rust spots speckled across my gas tank because of moisture getting locked in under the plastic I assume. Where the plastic used to be. They were installed well not a single bubble anywhere, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Something I'm entertaining is possibly putting the FJR Logo (Like on the '08) on the fairing. I really with they would have stuck with that. It looks really sharp IMO. I found these on EBAY...

https://compare.ebay.com/like/250786634344?var=bingv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=224260567983&crlp=1_263602_325002&UA=WXI7&GUID=c14a980412c0a0437400c840ffde526f&itemid=250786634344&ff4=263602_325002

Again, Thanks for all the Feedback.
Yeah .. go for it. Kind of looks naked without the decals -- just my opinion though, which ain't worth much on a good day!

I had forgotten how a "clean" FJR looks..... it's like a trip down memory lane..... hard to believe we are approaching one decade with the FJR... I still recall un-crating/assembling some of the very first FJRs to hit our shores, way back in August, 2002....
bling_cool.gif

I agree completely with all of the positive remarks except one. I came off of a Kawasaki Versys. With a weight gain of 250 Lbs going to the FJR I expected to have some challenges particularly in slow parking lot speed maneuvers. Much to my pleasant surprise it was quite the opposite. As to my exception, to me there is virtually no vibration in the FJR grips, ofcourse this may just be comparison to the Versys that vibrated so much my hand would go numb. I absolutely love this ride!!!!
yahoo.gif
I also "came off" a Versys. And have exactly the same impressions as you. Especially the parking lot speed maneuver concern, turned out the FJR does not feel like a 600+ pound bike in that environment, it's easily maneuverable at slow speeds!

First thing I was impressed with was the shifting. The bike I traded was a ZX-14 and for those who have owned one I'm sure you are familiar with the "clunk" you get when going from neutral to 1st Gear. I drove a Concours 14 that did the same. When shifting into 1st on the FJR it's like butter! No noise at all.

Huh? :blink: Are you sure you got an FJR? This would be the first time I've ever heard that compliment of a Feejer. Most of them shift into gear like a tractor. Maybe yous just isn't broken in yet... :p

Nice looking ride. Congrats.

You'll notice that the tank slapper kits aren't what they're made out to be...

After I had mine on for a couple years small bits of moisture, dust, grime ect. gets underneath them, along edges and even further in... have some VERY tiny rust spots speckled across my gas tank because of moisture getting locked in under the plastic I assume. Where the plastic used to be. They were installed well not a single bubble anywhere, but I wouldn't recommend them.
Interesting. I am a big fan of the Tankslapper kits and recommend them. Don't get me wrong, they are not perfect, but I installed one on my first FJR early on and it definitely helped keep the bike looking good for a long time. I don't have one on FJR#2 and various places are showing wear quickly. I don't know what happened with yours, but the corrosion is not from moisture getting locked under the material. The material lets moisture pass through it.

The kit contains two types of material - the tankslapper stuff, and the 3M stuff which is thicker and actually has some adhesive. The TS stuff doesn't have adhesive. Eventually, after a lot of miles the TS stuff started to come off but definitely did it's job. Especially for the tank, the sidebags, and the headlights. When I ordered replacements, I ordered the 3M material in place of the TS stuff. It' harder to install, and since it's thicker is a little bit more visible, but that stuff doesn't come off.

I'll be installing an all 3M version on FJR#3 soon.

Rightous ! And you are in NW Arkie where the good stuff is. Congrats and welcome, great looking bike.

OOOooohhhh! La La Laaaa!

Very nice indeed. Sat on one this weekend, while shopping with wife for

a V-Star 1300 (upgrade time) It's a beautiful machine.

Enjoy and ride safe.