Warranty from Yamaha USA for bike imported into Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graytaz

Reaction score
Here's a question for Canadian riders who've imported a bike into Canada.

Have you taken your bike back across the border for warranty work? What was your experience? Did you receive any documentation formally laying out your warranty support?

I was in my dealer today and the service manager relayed a story that a Star importer lunched the bottom end of his new motor because the US Yammie dealer didn't put enough oil in the bike. Supposedly the US dealer told him to go pound sand and that because the bike was registered in Canada, they didn't need to cover it despite where it was bought. I'm trying to find out the truth of the situation before I put my money down. I'd hate to be paying for a warranty I could never use.

Just for interests sake, the service manager also told me that she got a call recently from someone looking for FJR engine parts. She asked what year. Reply was that he had no idea. The engine was in a shifter super-kart. Apparently there's a market for that engine and with that torque curve, no wonder.

Thanks,

Philip.

That would be pretty suckie PR if the dealer failed to honor the Warranty. I would think that unless the warranty specifically identifies out of country registration, then they would have to honor it. It is a part of the purchase contract. IMHO

That would be pretty suckie PR if the dealer failed to honor the Warranty. I would think that unless the warranty specifically identifies out of country registration, then they would have to honor it. It is a part of the purchase contract. IMHO
PR? Since Yammie USA prefers that Canadians buy their bikes in Canada at the usurious Canadian prices, it would be the appropriate message as far as they are concerned.

Yup. Warranty requires the bike be both registered and plated in the country of sale.

On the other hand, the warranty does not cover low oil conditions unless it was due to a leaking seal or other failure - I suspect that the dealer would be responsible for his error if it could be proved. Then again, the oil light should have gone on if the level was low . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into that when I almost bought an '05 from a guy in FLA that had Y.E.S until the end of '08. Yamaha Canada said "no way", with honoring the warranty up here. Although, a guy at Yamaha U.S.A said if I could find a dealer that would honor the warranty, I would just have to bring it stateside for every repair. But, that's buying the bike from a dealer and explaining what you are planning to do ahead of time (getting it in writing also).

Now when you think about it, when you do import a bike from the U.S. It has to go through the R.I.V program (just a way of taking money from you to give you permission to bring it up here), the bike is no longer considered a U.S machine (it has been exported), so technically, a dealer would be under no obligation to honor anything. As you already know, Yamaha Canada won't honor the warranty because the bike came from the U.S!!! Catch 22...............

My '03 came from a guy in Georgia................no warranty obviously. Just remember........buyer beware.

Good luck,

Matt

PR? Since Yammie USA prefers that Canadians buy their bikes in Canada at the usurious Canadian prices, it would be the appropriate message as far as they are concerned.
Actually, it's Yammie Canada that prefers that. Yammie USA actually likes us buying their bikes as it keeps volumes up. I didn't realize that another reason is that they get paid for warranty coverage but don't have to deliver.

Yup. Warranty requires the bike be both registered and plated in the country of sale.
I'm going to check into that with Yamaha USA and see what they say. It may be in the documentation that comes with the bike.

On the other hand, the warranty does not cover low oil conditions unless it was due to a leaking seal or other failure - I suspect that the dealer would be responsible for his error if it could be proved. Then again, the oil light should have gone on if the level was low . . . .
I know the FJR has a low oil light rather than a pressure indicator. Do other Yamaha's including their cruisers use a low level switch?

thanks, Philip