WFO-6 Advanced Riding Classes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking into arranging riding classes for WFO-6. It turns out that Lee Parks' Total Control would be willing to show up if there are at least 24 interested students. Based on the predicted turn out for WFO-6, it seems like 24 students should be easy to come by. In order to help them plan, however, I'd like to gauge interest in a non-commital sort of way. If they do show, they are offering to teach a couple of free riding and/or suspension seminars on the premises in addition to the paid classes. They would also want to set up a vendor booth where they would offer a line of riding gloves and literature.
Please, if you answer the poll, answer only one of question 2 or 3 in the affirmative. Please feel free to answer "no" to both, if that's your feeling on the topic, however. Thanks.

Additional information below added on 20060818.

Here's a description of the class.

Han't seen anything posted here lately about this...

I'd really be interested in say a 4 hour course, or 2 days for 8 hours... I don't think I can concentrate for over 4 hours at a time! <G>

I really NEED to learn how to ride my little beast better.... especially since I'm planning or riding some roads other than interstates next year... Superslab... about zero skill needed to ride those... and totally boring....

Mary

Superslab... about zero skill needed to ride those... and totally boring....
Just the attitude that will get you smeared...The way I ride slab it's seldom boring, watchin' out for the Man, ready for each vehicle I pass to blow a tire and cross in front of me, bridging gaps between packs of cages as quickly as possible, etc...Never a dull moment.
Once again, I highly recommend advanced classes.

I'm looking into arranging riding classes for WFO-6. It turns out that Lee Parks' Total Control would be willing to show up if there are at least 24 interested students. Based on the predicted turn out for WFO-6, it seems like 24 students should be easy to come by. In order to help them plan, however, I'd like to gauge interest in a non-commital sort of way. If they do show, they are offering to teach a couple of free riding and/or suspension seminars on the premises in addition to the paid classes. They would also want to set up a vendor booth where they would offer a line of riding gloves and literature.

Please, if you answer the poll, answer only one of question 2 or 3 in the affirmative. Please feel free to answer "no" to both, if that's your feeling on the topic, however. Thanks.

Additional information below added on 20060818.

Here's a description of the class.

Han't seen anything posted here lately about this...

I'd really be interested in say a 4 hour course, or 2 days for 8 hours... I don't think I can concentrate for over 4 hours at a time! <G>

I really NEED to learn how to ride my little beast better.... especially since I'm planning or riding some roads other than interstates next year... Superslab... about zero skill needed to ride those... and totally boring....

Mary
Mary -

If it is safe to assume that people are not voting multiple times, it looks like there is enough interest for Lee Parks to get two instructors out to WFO-6. If they do that, it's in their best interest to accommodate all of the demand. That is, sending two employees on a business trip pays better profit if more business is available on site. I'll need to talk to them about this, but it seems like 3 Part I courses and 3 Part II courses might be the best bet. I don't think the course is well-suited to an a la carte format. In other words, you'll want to schedule both Part I and Part II, but being able to schedule Part I and Part II on different days, or the same day, may work out better for everyone involved. I will look into it.

Here's an unaffiliated testimonial. I took the course on top of 20 years of riding. I learned a lot and had an absolute blast. I will prolly do the course again in Utah. Hopefully, by that time, I'll figure out how to install Fred H's throttle mod, safely. Throttle control matters a lot for Lee Parks' course. You'll understand that statement by the time you're through it.

I will definatly take part. 100% will for sure. I will take the day before and day after since I am a local boy if required to fill the needs of the instructors head counts.

Further if needed, for a couple bucks I can set up some advertising with the MSF peeps and the local bike shops to keep TC happy and profitable. It would be very nice to be able to have a positive experience with them so they will come to all WFO meetings and even perhaps all Feej meets nationwide. I would be personally willing to take care of this, and the expense of this to keep the comitment the feejer community makes in my home state.

A good partnership could be good for all concerned and can be long term

Superslab... about zero skill needed to ride those... and totally boring....
Just the attitude that will get you smeared...The way I ride slab it's seldom boring, watchin' out for the Man, ready for each vehicle I pass to blow a tire and cross in front of me, bridging gaps between packs of cages as quickly as possible, etc...Never a dull moment.
Once again, I highly recommend advanced classes.

Oh yeah, well, that's what I do..., but that's second nature... except for watching out for the man... I dont' speed.... :rolleyes: ....much.....

Even got a lecture from one of my truck driving buddies about how to pass semi's...

I have had semi's pull in front of me so I didnt' get a ticket..., but I signal them that I see them before they pull in front of me.... to let them pass other semi's.... after all, what's a twist of the wrist on a bike compared to a truck having to slow down to pass two other rigs going uphill... and then take miles to get back up to speed.... and I distrust all cagers...but that's what I do no matter if I'm riding or driving....

It sure doesn't help when there's no twisties... aka Nebraska! That's the only time in my life I was wishing I had a radio, or an iPod, or something! :eek: (

That's what I meant when I said driving on freeways doesnt' need skill.... like riding the Dragon, or Rt 66 over the mountain to Oatman.... that's way more fun... and the kind of skills I need to practice....

Mary

I just got off the phone with Lee Parks' Total Control Advanced Riding Clinics. I've invited them to post a proposal for what they'd like to do at WFO-6, as well as provide some administrative details. They should be along shortly.

TWN - I tried to send you a PM, but couldn't. Please send me one, and I'll reply with contact information for Total Control. They are interested in providing professional riding classes, some free seminars on riding and bike electronics, and selling literature and riding gloves at a booth. As a vendor bearing lots of gear, they'd probably be interested in lining up rooms prior to The Great Free For All. Also, there will be the issue of identifying an appropriate surface on which to conduct the class, preferably on the hotel grounds. Total Control carries portable insurance for just such an endeavor, and currently use it all over the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got off the phone with Lee Parks' Total Control Advanced Riding Clinics. I've invited them to post a proposal for what they'd like to do at WFO-6, as well as provide some administrative details. They should be along shortly.
TWN - I tried to send you a PM, but couldn't. Please send me one, and I'll reply with contact information for Total Control. They are interested in providing professional riding classes, some free seminars on riding and bike electronics, and selling literature and riding gloves at a booth. As a vendor bearing lots of gear, they'd probably be interested in lining up rooms prior to The Great Free For All. Also, there will be the issue of identifying an appropriate surface on which to conduct the class, preferably on the hotel grounds. Total Control carries portable insurance for just such an endeavor, and currently use it all over the country.
Sweet, I wanna go!! :yahoo: