WFO-6 Advanced Riding Classes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My concern is with 200-300 WFO attendees ,class is likely to max out a couple of times at 24 per session when it actually comes down to it.
If a pre-WFO early class day ends up being scheduled, hopefully the WFO hotel group rate could be extended to cover it.
Good point. I get the feeling that TC's approach will be to accomodate the crowd. If there are more than 24 students (2 classes worth), they will become creative, in an uncommon way, and try to accommodate everyone. Until there are 24, there will be little interest on their part to provide classes. Contrapositively, if there are more than 24, they will bring as many instructors as it takes to make things happen. In other words, we're in an "in for a penny, in for a pound" mode. Or, in pop culture terms, once we are past 24 students, if we want a firehose, we can get a firehose.

As far as a "pre" TC class goes, I have some biases that I'd be willing to let go with good counter arguments. So, here goes. I tend to think that those who don't want to "waste" WFO-6 days in a class can solve their own problems by arriving early or staying late. That's what I did at WFO-5. That said, if there are at least 12 students who are interested in a "day before" or "day after" class from TC, I doubt (though I haven't checked) it would matter to TC at all. Therefore, as I continue to talk to TC, I'll suggest that they solicit "day before" and "day after" class registration in their offering to WFO-6. Market forces will decide. If there are at least 12 students for a "day before" and/or 12 students for a "day after" class, I predict they will provide the class. All negotiations with TC will be full-disclosure - i.e. I'll let everyone at FJRForum know what the issues are. I intend, and will succeed, to play fair broker.

My challenge, in setting this up, is to know precisely what people want, and how what is being offered differs from their desires. I really think the more I know going in, the better off everyone will be. So I thank you for your concerns. I can help TC to staff appropriately, knowing what the issues are. It seems as though TC expects to be able to accommodate everyone with 2 instructors during WFO-6. If, through their registration process, they determine there are many more than 24 students' worth of interest, I'm sure they will adjust accordingly. In other words, substantial turnout is not bad for the FJR community, nor for TC, as long as folks know what to plan for. Accurate gut checks from everyone involved should help things work out well.

Once again, please feel free to speak your mind on this. I have no emotional investment in this plan; so I'm happy to hear criticisms. Please, as you respond to this thread, attempt to accurately gauge what you will do when it comes time to register.

As for extending the group rate to days before or after at the hotel, I can offer that I did that with no problem at WFO-5. I used the argument that I already had a package plan, and, clearly, adding more days to that plan should only reduce my rate. That argument was successful for adding 2 nights to the start of WFO-5 and one night to the end at WFO-5 at the WFO-5 rate. I considered this as a victory, as otherwise those nights would have cost me more than twice the WF0-5 rate arranged by the WFO-5 staff. Clearly, it would be preferred to work the variability of arrival and departure times into the contract at the hotel for WFO-6. I'll take that as an action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested in a day before/after class assuming that WFO is in Colorado or other locales close to home (Utah). That would make it close enough to home to not really impact days taken off. ie days needed to get to the event.

That would make it close enough to home to not really impact days taken off. ie days needed to get to the event.
Dood, Haven't you heard our slogan?

"FJR, when you absolutely, positively have to be there overnight".

Everything's close to home with one of these babies.

That would make it close enough to home to not really impact days taken off. ie days needed to get to the event.
Dood, Haven't you heard our slogan?

"FJR, when you absolutely, positively have to be there overnight".

Everything's close to home with one of these babies.
Damn, I've been show the light. Lets go for Texas! :D

I have been unable to determine, in reading these posts, where and when WFO-6 will occur. The primary consideration in my decision to jump in to 1.) WFO-6 & 2.) Advance Riding Classes. Can someone enlighten?

Thank you. :D

The powers that be seem to enjoy keeping it secret until the last possible minute (evidently their ability to negotiate with hotels & manufactures could use an advance class)....so things could be locked in earlier....(OK that should stir the pot)..... :lol: :eek: :huh:

Damn, I've been show the light. Lets go for Texas! :D
East Texas? :blink: West Texas? :unsure: Coastal Texas? :dribble:

Or we could wait until those who are diligently dealing with hotels attempting to "lock in" a venue announce their results. Until then, I'm planning on Colorado.

Though a date would be a really nice fact to possess. Some of us need as much "lead time" as possible to apply for and plan vacation time. (Just kidding, Dale, HMarc, Iggy, et al. Well, sort of...maybe...kinda...mostly... :D )

Look at Miller Sports Park. We have a PRIMO track here in Utah, It is about 45 miles from Park city (well maby 55 miles)
Clicky Miller Sports Park
NG, dog. They are booked for private track time on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. 'Open' day is Friday, but that means all vehicles will be on the track... Not sure of the exact details, getting this info from our sales dude at the Marriott.

Lemme make some calls. May (probably) will do no good since I am not important here but I may............. May know some peeps that can help. Dont hold yer breath, but I will try the locals channel. I am also a track volenteer (still unimportant tho)

BUT, Local calls are free. So I shall at least make a call or two (I worked on millers house but I am sure he did not notice me) :lmao

I think it would be cool, but man, 300 beans just ain't in the jar.
We were looking a 150, um, beans. But if dog has an in, we might be all buying him a beer or 13.

So, Queenie, does this mean that you are contemplating loading up the Gran Marquis Hauler again?

I wonder if there's a snowball's chance that a MSF instructor in attendance might put together an Experienced Riders Course. There's beans in the jar for that.

We were looking a 150, um, beans. But if dog has an in, we might be all buying him a beer or 13.
So, Queenie, does this mean that you are contemplating loading up the Gran Marquis Hauler again?
Nope. Gonna ride this one, if I'm able to come at all.

Lee's Total Control Course does not use a track. Actually, all he needs is a good sized parking lot. That is unless there are insurance requirements due to the activity with the tracks already having these policies.

I took the class at Joliet in August. The track at Autobaun was way cool, but we never got on it.

The course is very low speed with emphasis on throttle/brake control (get your throttle issues fixed first,) weight transfer and turn setup & execution. The class focuses on line selection and the mental stuff with some suspension setup. Read the book - it's all there. But having Lee run through it is great.

Bruce

I sure threw a bucket of cold water on this thread. Sorry about that.

Lee does prepare you for the track by teaching the high speed maneuvers on tight radius low speed corners - a much safer way to learn. This way mistakes are less costly, and he can directly observe and provide feedback for a faster and safer learning curve.

I highly recommend the course FWIW.