What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier last week, my new PIAA Sports Horn came in. On Saturday I installed it on the bike.

In the process, I found out that my right side horn wasn't functioning, which accounts for how quiet the horns were when they were supposed to be louder than OEM. Took it apart and one of the connectors had come off.

So, I installed the PIAA and fixed the right horn. Now it is really loud, and I like it. Prolly took me less than a half hour, even with working on that right side screw up, and it fits just perfect.
Yeah But, the Hella Super Tones would have been Louder! Ese! :D
Haha...Probably, but this was super easy. No relays to install, no wires to cut or splice, just unbolt it, plug it in, re-bolt it and go. My kind of farkle for the increase in performance. :clapping: Besides...I don't use my horn that much anyway, I didn't even know my right side wasn't working. Some of us eses can be dumb sometimes. :dribble:
Sounds like my kinda farkle as well. So they draw low enough current to not have do the whole relay bit?
According to PIAA and my Yamaha guy they don't need a relay. Lots of discussion about them here too.

Earlier last week, my new PIAA Sports Horn came in. On Saturday I installed it on the bike.

In the process, I found out that my right side horn wasn't functioning, which accounts for how quiet the horns were when they were supposed to be louder than OEM. Took it apart and one of the connectors had come off.

So, I installed the PIAA and fixed the right horn. Now it is really loud, and I like it. Prolly took me less than a half hour, even with working on that right side screw up, and it fits just perfect.
Haha...Probably, but this was super easy. No relays to install, no wires to cut or splice, just unbolt it, plug it in, re-bolt it and go. My kind of farkle for the increase in performance. :clapping: Besides...I don't use my horn that much anyway, I didn't even know my right side wasn't working. Some of us eses can be dumb sometimes. :dribble:
Sounds like my kinda farkle as well. So they draw low enough current to not have do the whole relay bit?
Hella Super Tones don't need a Relay Either and they are LOUDER!!! :p

Hella Super Tones don't need a Relay Either and they are LOUDER!!! :p
Cool thanks. Do they fit without modifications? Sorry I know this has been covered already. About to jump on the road for the lovely 40 mile freeway mess home.

Cool thanks. Do they fit without modifications? Sorry I know this has been covered already. About to jump on the road for the lovely 40 mile freeway mess home.
Yep! The Diameter is larger but, there is plenty of slack in the wire to make it happen and they come with several links to adjust as needed! :)

What did you do to your FJR today?

There are probably a lot of things folks do to their FJRs that may not warrant a whole new topic. This thread is a place to post such things.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't already a thread like this here already, so mods feel free to delete this if I missed it somehow.

A multitute of improvements happened this week.

1) New Conti Motions installed. I really like the initial impressions from this tire. Will road test these out this weekend.

2) Installed a set of Throttlemeister bar ends/throttle lock I got from a fellow poster.

fjr13000008.jpg

3) Installed OEM quality FZ1 mirrors. This is a big improvement to rearward vision like has been stated here so many times.

fjr13000009.jpg

4) Installed Cee Baily 15" high +2 width tinted screen. This is another score from a fellow poster. I was looking for a shield that would increase the protection to my torso region, but allow my helmet to be in clean air. The stock shield was a little lacking in width and a little tall for my helmet to be in clean air.

fjr13000.jpg

5) Just received my stock seat back from Bill Mayer. I must admit, I'm really impressed with this seat in the short distance I road on it. I will further test this seat out, and break it in, over the weekend. I only had the front seat done at this time. I'm well acquainted with a RDL as I had one on my Strom, but this is my first Bill Mayer built seat. I'll do a full write-up after I get some seat time.

fjr13000007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got her back from the dealer with new fork seals, new fork oil, and new lower bushings. I've gotta learn how to do the forks myself 'cuz this crap is expensive.

I was lucky that the dealer had 2 bushings in stock. Otherwise it would have been next week before I got her back. Chad said he was surprised at the wear on the bushings, but said lots of curves can do that. There was no Teflon left on them at all.

He thinks the worn bushings led to flex, which let gunk get inside the seal and cause a leak. The oil needed replaced anyway, so whatever.

I got her home and took the right caliper apart and cleaned everything up. Buttoned it back up, went on a test ride and activated the ABS just fine. So I'm hoping I don't gotta spring for new pads.

As for now, she feels great and should shine for tomorrow's ride.

Wore out another rear tire. Maybe 4500 miles on Conti Motion. good tire,... going back to PR2 though for better mileage, pairing it with my front Conti as it has good life left still.

Oh, and then I purchased a Cycle Hill tire changer.

I installed the Auto Tune Module for my PC V. Updated the firmware on the PC V, got to 3 more spiders with ACF-50, that makes six I have gotten too, ACF-50 on every connection I saw, and installed a new MotoBat.

Rain next two days so playing with auto tune will have to wait.

Cleaned it all putting it back together and then had some grilled Sword Fish and wine for dinner with friends.

I rode the shit out of her. I was so glad to have her back with solid forks and everything in sync...She ran like a champ!

Tomorrow I may give her a bath!

Went to lunch with 40 FJR riders in Sacramento. Only Old Michael rode a bike, the rest of us pansies drove cars because of a rain forecast that never came true. It didn't rain all day. Jamie and I finally got on the bikes, bought supplies and changed the gear oil and crankcase oil. Beer. :clapping:

Rode to work at 6:30 AM.

:cold:

The indicated ambient temperature was -3C, but no frost on the ground meant the highway was bare and dry :D

The ride home was a more pleasant 11C