What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While She was out, went into the garage, stood beside it and pushed it upright from the side-stand, rocked it to and fro against the gears just to see if I could, lowered it back onto its side-stand.

That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you shrink the pic down a bit it could be your new avitar.
Interesting idea.
00_IMG_1794.JPG

But I'm not sure I want the reminder :( .

1. it reduces the speedo error
2. it lasts AT LEAST the same percentage longer as is its circumference is larger

3. the additional width keeps the footpegs just a little higher reducing dragging when I do canyon carve (which I like, I just have a hard time finding to do,this part of 58&229 is all twisty)

4. it does NOT require a special brake brace like a car tire

The ONLY question I have is does it last as much longer as its price is higher. I do not know as I can only compare my PR4 190 to my PR2 180.

Yeah, well... you had just said that you spent most of the tire's miles on the slab, which was why I asked how putting a 190 width tire on there improved the highway experience. (I already knew it helped the non-highway experience).

So I guess the one thing above that might be construed to be of benefit on the superslab would be the increased life due to increased circumference. I had not thought of that, so lets do some math and see what the potential is:

The 180/55 tire has a sidewall height of 99mm (180 * 55%). Double that and add it to 17" (432mm) and the wheel diameter will be 630mm. Multiply by pi for circumference of 1978mm.

A 190/55 sidewall is 104.5. Multiply by 2 and add 432, diameter is 641. Multiply by pi, circumference is 2012.74.

So the 190 tire has a 34.74 mm larger circumference, which is an increase of 1.75% over the 180/55.

So with all other things being equal you might expect to get 1.75% more miles from a 190 tire on the slab due to the increased circumference.

Just using the popular Michelin PR4 as a pricing example, at Jake Wilson, who is known to have some of the better prices around, the 180/55 PR4 costs $169.98 and the same tire in 190/55 costs $190.98, or $21 dollars more, which is 12.35% higher than the stock sized tire.

So if you average 10k lets say out of a 180/55 you can the expect to get 10,175 miles out of 190/55 tire. (Per FredW's calculations witch I am sure are correct
winksmiley02.gif
)

Cost per mile 180/55= .01699 cents per mile

Cost per mile 190/55= .01876 cents per mile

Guess I am staying with the 180/55

Dave

Not today, but yesterday, I was putting the plastic back on...and lost the set screw that locks the headlight adjuster knob. Feck it all...
Sorry to hear that Mark...I hope you're still gonna be at the Ramble this weekend.
Nice joke Joe! Not missing the Ramble. Duane/1911 and I will be there Thursday night!

Took it to my dealer in Onalaska, (same one who serves donuts for your LaCrosse rally) and had the sport/tour switch replaced under warranty. Had a great ride home, gusts to 40 mph and the Cee Bailey shield did well.ff

Did you error correct the mileage you got out of that 180/55 as the speedo will read 4 to 5% more mileage on that tire. That 10,000 miles was closer to 9,500 miles.

Also, I believe your decimal is off, that would be 1.699 cents per mile, 0.01699 is dollars per mile.

So if you average 10k lets say out of a 180/55 you can the expect to get 10,175 miles out of 190/55 tire. (Per FredW's calculations witch I am sure are correct
winksmiley02.gif
)
Cost per mile 180/55= .01699 cents per mile

Cost per mile 190/55= .01876 cents per mile

Guess I am staying with the 180/55

Dave

While She was out, went into the garage, put my left foot onto the peg, and very, very carefully, put my right leg over and sat on the bike.

Put my left foot to the ground, then keeping my foot as flat as possible, pushed the bike upright, just to see if I could.

Then, just as carefully, lowered it back onto its side-stand.

Very, very carefully, without twisting my ankle, dismounted.

Wiped the sweat off.

That is all.

Well not actually the bike but farkles, with a little lot help from this forum, got my radar detector, XM stereo, Zumo 550, Sena 20S, Sena SM10 and Sumsung Galaxy S III all playing together again. And it's actually a little better setup than the way I had it aligned before.

While working on all this stuff and adding up the cost, I thought I had better check my insurance coverage on all the extra crap goodies I have on the bike.
not_i.gif

Almost finalized my farkling. Most of items I have carried over from my '13 A, now they are re-installed on my new '15AE:

1. Garauld stiffy kit

2. Givi alu rack + V47NN with bike painted cover

3. Givi windshield

4. read hugger

5. steel radiator guard with fjr logo

6. stem mount with NAV V navigation

7. PIAA slim horn

8. Reflective Bag Decals

9. Re-painted wheels from OEM black to metalic silver (same color as on my previous '07) + reflective rim stickers

10. Power Commander V + Dynojet Quickshifter + KN filter + Akrapovic pipes - bike was on the dyno break

11. OEM foot shields

12. OEM frame sliders

13. OEM FJR tank pad

14. Inner liners for all 3 cases

15. battery pig tail

Still remains to do: .

- LSL brake and clutch level (on the way)

- in winter time re-cover seats, replace foam + install heating (in local shop, they are doing great job)

- helmet lock hanger (on the way)

- fenda extenda