What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove it.
And enjoyed it (for a change).

After roughly 6 years on this forum, I’ve never actually read or posted to this thread. But, today (well, rather last weekend) it is warranted.

So, a little background (I’ve got time – the ferry is behind schedule). I don’t ride my FJ during the winter around home but rather I typically drive it south and put it in storage (or someone’s back yard – thanks again Silent Bob!). So – if I get the itch – I can fly down and go for a spin. This has never left much time or opportunity for scheduled maintenance. Now, I take really good care of my toys and, in the past, I would describe myself as a do-it-yourself’er. But, as I approach middle age (ahem..pass it), I’ve kind of transitioned to paying someone else to fix stuff and thus leave more time for ..whatever. That transition has been a little more challenging with the FJ, not the least of which reasons include that it’s pricey and you don’t want to leave it in the hands of a stranger.

So, last winter I parked the bike at home with the intention of either doing as much work as I can or taking it to a mechanic during the slower months and dropping several C-notes to do some long overdue maintenance. Naturally, I procrastinated long enough such that spring was around the corner and riding season fast approaching. I knew I wanted to at least properly patch a tire and replace a temp plug after picking up my first puncture in over 30 years of riding (naturally it was on a brand new rear PR4). After witnessing how quickly some mobile bike mechanic (who had stopped to help moments after it went flat) had the tire off the rim, I thought “I could do that” and proceeded to reproduce what he did, this time with the bike in my garage.

So finally I raised her on the center stand and began the procedure. Damn! Can’t break the bead. FJR Forum/YouTube to the rescue! Hmmmm, all these suggestions require the rim coming off the axel; I didn’t want to get my hands that dirty.

Well, after a day or two of coin flipping, I finally stopped being a pu**y and dove in. Before I knew it, I had everything short of the steering head bearing and engine off the bike! I built the stand that someone recommended. Did my valves, took apart the drive shaft, got rid of the PAIRS, cleaned, lubed and re-torqued nearly every single bolt and yes, patched the tire properly. Of course, this all took three weeks and required several posts to the forum when searches turned up nothing, but for the most part, it was a breeze (save those damn center-stand bolts!). Of course, the ease of most of this first-time-for-me procedures was mostly due to the knowledge of this ‘collective’.
thumbsup.gif

After putting the bike back together and getting her purring, the only thing that remained to do was the suspension. This, I feared, was way over my head – enough so that I put my apron back on and decided to let you folks decide what I do and who I take it to. The options were: an OEM rebuild, replacing the rear with OEM for $250 from that guy in France, upgrading to Gen III stock, or going with and aftermarket shock/fork valves or cartridges. The choices on who to perform the work were: local dealer, Sasquatch, RMR in Vancouver, GP suspension or ordering from Traxxion. The dilemma was deciding on whether I wanted to spend that kind of money on aftermarket stuff for a 7 year old bike turning 100k; (but I had to do something – I was still on stock shock
scooter.gif
).

The dealer quoted me $1600 for fork/valve work and new springs. I can’t recall if that quote included a rebuild of the shock or a new one though. I didn’t ponder over it long as it was a no-brainer that it would be worth spending the extra few bills for a Penske and expert setup. The other inexpensive route would be to mail the forks to Sasquatch and buy/install a Gen III shock.I decided to go all in and took it down to GP. As much as I wanted to take my business to RMR in Vancouver as he really gave me good service when I walked in off the street to pick his brain, Brisa at GP also tolerated an endless barrage of e-mails and questions from me without complaint. Besides, GP also has a lot of experience with the FJ and comes highly recommended from everyone here.
Unfortunately, they couldn’t fit me in to have the bike done during the weekend of PNW tech day so I missed that (just too far to drive twice in one week). So I took a day off from work and drove down mid-week and had the install while I waited. Once again, I got caught in the bat-sh*t-crazy traffic on the I-5. I even Googled ‘lane splitting in Washington State’ before I left for home, but that didn’t help much. It wasn’t until I was back across the border that I hit a round-about, which was the first real curve at speed in 150 miles, that I actually ‘felt’ the new suspension. Well, I don’t have to tell you my reaction.
yahoo.gif

I stayed on the highway straight to the ferry home and had to take it slow the last hour’s worth of driving as it was now quite dark and the forest rats up here are deaf, blind and retarded – been there, done that – I’ll just take my time, thank you very much.

So, this past Monday (a holiday up here) was the first day I had an opportunity for a real ride on my near-new and improved FJer. This was the first time in almost a year where I wasn’t constantly wondering when and where I am going to get the valves checked, lube the shaft, patch the tire, get the new suspension…yada yada yada. All the work was done. I just rode. And I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Thanks for everyone’s advice here.
coolsmiley.png

The Bach

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I forgot to mention I also treated myself to a new Sena 20S (to replace my outdated original 10s) I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. What a beauty of a unit!

I also switched over to Shell T6 5W40 synthetic from the Yamalube 20W50 I've been using exclusively since new. I can't believe the difference in operating temperature (which had nothing to do with why I switched). I won't open that can if worms here but I will answer if asked.

Time for a ride.

Put the MV Motard plate on the bars...So far so good! Wrists feel much better!

Makes front wheel come up on a hard 1-2 shift that didn't happen before...but nothing all that unexpected.

eflyguy posted: Put on the temporary tag, then rode it to lunch and the post office.
^---- +1, Gunny! (Out of likes today? Already?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time ever, installed a tire plug. Last night, to be precise, in the rear tire. Still holding 44 psi at 3:30 pm local time, so maybe all is good. Better be; I'm riding all weekend long.

<edited Tuesday morning> It held for three days of spirited riding, including a half-day two up, so I'll ride it for the 1,000 miles or so left in these T-30 GTs.

As usual, nothing.

A thread from the other day got me thinking....perhaps I should check my air filter.

After all, the last time I checked it was around 2012 or 40K miles ago.

Hmmmm, it can probably wait a few more weeks.

Installed the replacement Harness I received from Admore and now the lights on my Givi V47 Top Box are working again

The boss kicked us out of the office early so I came home and pulled the wheels off. Went over to Performance Cycle and had them put a set of PR4's on. I was able to get everything back together before dark. But I think I'm going to pick up a set of pads for the rear brakes tomorrow and get them in. Trying to get ready for a West Coast trip in a few weeks.

Oh and it wasn't today, but on Monday I rode up to Fort Collins and met Steve Gowing and had him build me a new seat. I've only been able to put about 100 miles on it so far. I'm hoping to get 200-300 miles in on Sunday to see how it feels. It will take some breaking-in before I'll really know though.

Yes, it's been an expensive week!!

Burns1

Dropped it off at the suspension shop because I was sick of it leaking fork oil all over my garage. The Wilburs parts are still on their way, but I was tired of that dammed leak.

Wiped it down to go for a ride and got called into work. Oh well.

Saw a shit load of Harleys coming in for Rolling Thunder on the way in to the job.

Marcus (ahchiu) came over and helped me remove my front and rear wheels so I could install my TPMS sensors. Thanks Marcus!!

IMG_20160528_151738.jpg