What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope your not just gonna take 50 across from Bridgeport to Marietta...
Nah, I think I got a little more sense than that
rolleyes.gif
!

From Bridgeport up 20, detour though Turkey Run from 20 to 7, across river in New Martinsville, down 7, across 260, down 26. Actually we stopped in Fly, Ohio at a little diner for lunch. Then 47, 219,and 19 to Bridgeport again.

I am letting my FJR dry out in the garage today. We road home from NERDS yesterday in the pouring rain, Construction and absolute nightmare traffic hell hole of Massachusetts.
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

Someone remind me why I live in this state?

Dave

Took off the OEM heated grip controller and replaced it with the OEM block off plate.

New set of Dunlop Roadsmart III mounted and balanced. First impression (20 miles) is favorable.

New brake pads all around. Cleaned up the pistons before pushing them back - the rear one had some corrosion on it that I hope doesn't chew up the seal. Wouldn't come off with rubbing and brake cleaner and I didn't want to go through the mess and hassle of popping the piston out to clean it properly or replace it. I think it is the third time I have replaced the front pads and the second time I have replaced the rear in 175,000 miles. Still using original rotors and have never had to replace any rubber bits. (Haven't put a micrometer on the rotors - probably don't want to know if they are below spec. They are smooth and not warped.) Other than the original pads, I have always used EBC HH sintered aftermarket brake pads. Just over half the cost of the Yamaha pads with similar longevity. Still stupid expensive for the front. I think Gen III use the same ones.

Oil change with Rotella Synthetic. (didn't change filter.)

All ready for a 2000 mile flit out to see my brand new grandson in Winnipeg Manitoba. Three days out and a few days there but maybe 5 or 6 days (and up to 3000 miles) return with some camping and sightseeing along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pop the rear brake cylinder out and clean it up. Standard procedure for me everytime when replacing the rear pads. It's not that big a deal. I take some fine scotch bright cloth with WD40 to get rid of the road grime.

Road the grey beast to work today,

Dave

@Ross - I thought you were going to try the Mobil1 15W50. It's even cheaper per quart than Rotella T6.

@Dave - WD40 might not be the best idea for the seals. I'd just use brake cleaner instead. YMMV.

@Ross - I thought you were going to try the Mobil1 15W50. It's even cheaper per quart than Rotella T6.
I was going to try the Mobil1 15W50. As far as I can tell, it isn't available in Canada!! Maybe they figure that nobody in the frozen north needs an oil that "heavy".

Dave - I pushed the cylinder out somewhat but didn't want to pop it out completely. (I have never done that before) Don't you end out with a big brake fluid mess and air in the system?

In any case, brakes are working great but need to get bedded in a bit more and degreased from handling.

That's odd about the M1. And yeah, I don't pop the pistons out all the way either. Just push them out so I can see some clean piston and clean it up in place. In the past I've been able to rotate the pistons in their bores to make it easier to access the back sides, though the last time I tried it (on Jack's bike) they wouldn't turn too easily.

...And yeah, I don't pop the pistons out all the way either. Just push them out so I can see some clean piston and clean it up in place...
That has always been my approach as well. Piston didn't really want to turn until I pushed it out a bit. The "dirt" came off but there was some corrosion I didn't try to get with an abrasive. Hopefully the rough patches are above the seal lip. Otherwise, I might be faced with seal replacement if it starts to leak.

Ross: Yes you do lose all the oil in the piston. No big deal other than the mess. I know I will have all fresh oil anyway. Bleeding afterwards works fine.

Fred: I do clean the piston after getting all the grime off and put a light coat of brake oil when reinstalling. You may find you have corosion inside also. I have yet to have a leaky seal or any issues.

Sorry, I had assumed you were using the WD40 with the pistons still in place, and that some of the oil would get on those seals.

If they are removed you can use whatever you want and it can't bother the seals. ;)

hppants posted: The recent activity on this thread kind of has the "dog days of summer" tone to it. Southerners like me are whining about the heat and humidity. Kids are back in school, or really close to the start. Everyone is basically waiting for EOM/SFO/Hooterville, etc. By in large, all bikes are running and ready, but there just isn't much excitement or adventure.
Just an observation....
Not whining, just riding it to work every day. There's something about a 65 mph breeze of 90-degree air that isn't really refreshing. I'm usually in the shower within 10 minutes of getting back to the house.

260 miles. Denver to Colorado Springs, the back way. Met my buddy and went to Cripple Creek.

IMG_2347-M.jpg

Went to Victor to get a "V" for the Love & Merci Grand Tour.

Victor-M.jpg

Came home in a nasty sideways hailstorm.

Wished the Ghost was here instead of in Memphis. Fixed some stuff on the KLR, need two well nuts to get her back on the road. Should be here Friday!

Switched to the stock shield for a day, slowly regained my hearing, switched back to the Yamaha sport touring shield when I got home. Finally gave up on the garmin 595LM for music/phone comms (it will pump nav and alerts, but under no circumstance will it ever play music for more than a few minutes without stopping and requiring intervention, regardless of whether the source is iPhone, Pandora, or even onboard the GPS on the sim card). I went back to iPhone for music. How nice it is to listen to tunes quietly in the background for a whole commute.

It's been warm, even in mesh, leaving in the mornings at 5am here in North Georgia. Afternoons mean getting home soaking wet. Today is the first morning in quite a while that was actually cool. Fall is coming to the mountains soon.

Rode mine to work. Day 158 consecutive in my second attempt at a perfect year.

Have oil, filter, spark plugs in hand ready to change them all on Saturday at 80k miles. New Michelin PR2s arrived from Jake Wilson on Tuesday. All good date codes, oldest one is 2815 others are even newer. Putting the newest pair on her F800ST this Sunday and finishing wiring up her Admore light kit for the new Givi V46 trunk. I'm planning on running my tires through the Void Rally and changing to my fresh set weekend before EOM.