what is the quietest helmet for the fjr?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbwrench

Reaction score
hi everyone, i am looking for a quiet helmet so i can hear my q2 headset with my zumo. i am already hard of hearing to a small extent, but can hear my headset if i am out of the wind. (tall cal sci shield) my stock windscreen which i use in the summer really gives my helmet alot of wind and noise.

i am using a modular cl max hjc helmet and i stuffed foam around the strap holes in the cheek pads. its a little warm. i have also used a zox modular. the zox was very nice feature wise but way too loud for me. i heard modular helmets are loud anyway and i will probably give up on them.

i am currently considering a scorpion exo 1000, and want to check out arai, which i have tried on and they feel good and shoei.

if you are making suggestions, please give a brand and model number and what shape head they work on, or what shape your head is.

i am sure this is going to be interesting.

thank you in advance! tbwrench.

I can just tell you this - I have a Shoei RF1000 and an Arai Quantum II. The Shoei is MUCH quieter than the Arai.

If you want quiet do NOT buy the exo 1000. I have one and I do not find it any quieter than the HJC modular I had. It is slightly more comfortable and the tinted inner shield that flips down is very nice, but I am quite disappointed about the noise level. The tinted inner shield is nice, not only for its darker tint, but it allows you to open the main shield to its first notch and let the breeze cool you down while providing bug protection for your eyes.

I would be interested in other opinions as well.

Good Luck

Not exactly the info you are looking for, but you can rule out the Shoei X-11. It is very loud, but that is because it vents so well.

Not exactly the info you are looking for, but you can rule out the Shoei X-11. It is very loud, but that is because it vents so well.
I have an X-11, EXO and Arai Q2. The EXO is by far the loudest and the Arai makes less noise than the X-11, but the X-11 has the best air flow of the 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. If you want good air flow through the helmet, you're going to have to live with air noise. Buy the helmet based on its ability to keep you cool, and buy ear plugs to deal with the noise.

2. If you want a quiet cockpit without air flow, think about an aftermarket touring style windshield. I hate these things and always ride with the windshield as low as it will go. If you want quiet though, its hard to beat a serious deflecting windshield.

3. If you want a quiet helmet, and you don't care about air flow, get an HJC CL-14 if you can still find one. HJC replaced the CL-14 with the CL-15 in 2006, so they're hard to find now. These things are very quiet..... largely because they don't have very good ventillation. The ability to keep the wind stream out of the helmet is probably the most important factor in making a helmet quiet. Even if the vents are closed, helmets can catch air at the back of the neck and shunt it in to make noise too, so just shutting vents doesn't always take care of the noise.

I have a shoei rf-1000 and the exo-1000. The shoei is much quieter. I ride with custom molded earphones so it is not that big of a deal. Love the sun visor on the scorpion.

1. If you want good air flow through the helmet, you're going to have to live with air noise. Buy the helmet based on its ability to keep you cool, and buy ear plugs to deal with the noise.
2. If you want a quiet cockpit without air flow, think about an aftermarket touring style windshield. I hate these things and always ride with the windshield as low as it will go. If you want quiet though, its hard to beat a serious deflecting windshield.
Alternatively, chop the top 8-10 inches off the stock windshield and add spacers between the bottom of the shield and the bracket (gives the shield a more flattened position). You will find clean air, eleminate the heat from the engine because the negative pressure pocket around your lower body will be reduced and it will also get rid of the negative presure on the back of the head. You can still raise it up on a cold day and it will pull heat up from the engine. I did this two years ago and love it!

I have found a Nolan N102 to be a quiet helmet among the flip ups. It is also very comfortable. That helmet in combo with a Cee Bailey +2+4 reverse contour flip shield and S plug in ear canal headphones gives me a very quiet ride and the ability to listen to music and Miss Zumo.

The scorpion may be a little tight for ear phones unless they are real small. I don't have the 1000. I believe maybe with the pump you could adjust this but the standard scorpion fits sort of tight for my normal size.

Stay away from the Arai XD series.

Unless you are willing to trade a bit of noise for:

1. great sun protection when riding into sunset

2. you want to look really cool :rolleyes:

3. you are an ex-motox rider now riding more street than dirt

4. you want a 'hooligan' look... to hook up with chicks! :unsure: :rolleyes:

I'm using the HJC Sy-Max II.

It's not the quietest helmet made.

But it is reasonably priced, has good ventilation, is comfortable to me, and has an integral sun visor.

If I ever need a quieter ride; I'll probably just use ear plugs.

Schuberth S1. Bar none. I've gone through a bunch of Shoei's and a boatload of screens. Stock screen with the Schubert = almost total silence. Problem is, Schuberth has left the NA market. extremesupply.com has them in stock, but not all sizes.

I'm using CL Max with noise isolation (not noise cancelling) ear buds an it works fine.

hi everyone, i am looking for a quiet helmet so i can hear my q2 headset with my zumo. i am already hard of hearing to a small extent, but can hear my headset if i am out of the wind. (tall cal sci shield) my stock windscreen which i use in the summer really gives my helmet alot of wind and noise.
i am using a modular cl max hjc helmet and i stuffed foam around the strap holes in the cheek pads. its a little warm. i have also used a zox modular. the zox was very nice feature wise but way too loud for me. i heard modular helmets are loud anyway and i will probably give up on them.

i am currently considering a scorpion exo 1000, and want to check out arai, which i have tried on and they feel good and shoei.

if you are making suggestions, please give a brand and model number and what shape head they work on, or what shape your head is.

I use the same helmet as you and had the same issue so I opted for another route. I set aside my cal sci windshield and went back to the stock windshield ('06 model) and purchased a Laminar Lip for it. It is a little ugly but damn is it effective! No whistling noises through the helmet at all. Another option with the lip is that it is adjustable and when I have it set as high as it can go with the shield in the highest position, I get in the "cocoon" of air. And I'm 6'3". The ole Starcom comes through loud and clear. Just another perspective...

I can just tell you this - I have a Shoei RF1000 and an Arai Quantum II. The Shoei is MUCH quieter than the Arai.
The RF1000 is the quietest helmet I have ever used. It will stay quiet unless you add a bluetooth headset that mounts to the outside. The side it is mounted to will then be noisier. Even with the bluetooth added it is still way quieter than a HJC Symax though.

Alternatively, chop the top 8-10 inches off the stock windshield and add spacers between the bottom of the shield and the bracket (gives the shield a more flattened position). You will find clean air, eleminate the heat from the engine because the negative pressure pocket around your lower body will be reduced and it will also get rid of the negative presure on the back of the head. You can still raise it up on a cold day and it will pull heat up from the engine. I did this two years ago and love it!
When my stock windshield is ready for replacement, I'm going to give this a try. I think it has the potential to be a good idea. Thanks!

I use the same helmet as you and had the same issue so I opted for another route. I set aside my cal sci windshield and went back to the stock windshield ('06 model) and purchased a Laminar Lip for it. It is a little ugly but damn is it effective! No whistling noises through the helmet at all. Another option with the lip is that it is adjustable and when I have it set as high as it can go with the shield in the highest position, I get in the "cocoon" of air. And I'm 6'3". The ole Starcom comes through loud and clear. Just another perspective...
who sells the laminar lip and what model? how much was it? any photos???? this may work for me, if i duck down a bit into the cocoon area i hear just fine.