What needs to be on the bike for LD travel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
Slowly getting the bike ready for some long rides. So far I have a rifle windshield, highway pegs, Zumo 550, XM antenna and some good riding gear from Olympia. I know that everyone has different needs and ideas of what is best, I want your advice, so let it fly. I know that there is a ton of stuff that I don't know but I want to get on the road before all the good weather is gone.

Well depending on how far out of cell phone coverage you might go, you may want to get a Spot2 Messenger (www.findmespot.com). If you have a significant other, they might like it too.

You don't say what year your FJR is, but if it doesn't come with heated grips, you might consider those.

Of course, there's lots of other stuff you could add as well ... It's just money!

Ian

Slowly getting the bike ready for some long rides. So far I have a rifle windshield, highway pegs, Zumo 550, XM antenna and some good riding gear from Olympia. I know that everyone has different needs and ideas of what is best, I want your advice, so let it fly. I know that there is a ton of stuff that I don't know but I want to get on the road before all the good weather is gone.
An operator is a good first choice. :p
Money is a must and I mean cash.

A personal protection device ie. handgun, knife, stunner, pepper spray, or a third degree black belt. The odds of needing such tools is slim, but life sucks if you need a tool and it's at home safe and sound.

Stay dry gear, I can attest to the fact it sucks to ride while wet on a cold day. Wet on a hot day ain't all that bad. My wet/cold day experience; couldn't open and close my hands for two days. Don on this site says "There are no bad days, only bad gear." I agree.

Tire patch kit and the skill to use it.

Radar detector. Open road.

Lazer detector/jammer. Urban travel.

Clean undies and socks. You can ride for days in the same smelly shirt and pants, but chaffed thighs and foot blisters make the miles hell.

Small package of handy wipes for those "Oh shit" moments out in the middle of nowhere, yea I've wiped with leaves and newspaper but trust me, the handy wipes are much better.

Alarm and locks for the bike.

I always try and carry a bit of fresh water. There a few places in this country where it's a fair piece between watering holes. West out of Salt Lake, it's 90 miles of desert. Dehydration can make you do stupid things.

Oh yea, the most important thing to take with you on a ride, that gray stuff between your ears.

Enjoy life - Ride hard.

You could quickly become a "sheepskin convertee" as I have been over the past few thousand K... Yep- I like it... The folks that said I would would never be without one again seem to this point to have been very accurate!!

Cheers,

Scott

GPS - you have that.

- Earplugs (or a good set of in-ear headphones (I use the Westone UM-2))

- Riding at night? HID driving lights!

- Headlight modulator for daytime riding.

- Real cruise control

- I second the comment about heated grips - I often have mine on low, even on the hottest days.

- If your riding takes you into Canada you will want to leave the radar detector and handgun at home.

- Roadside assistance plan with flatbed towing (the AMA plan is 'free', but limited to 35 miles IIRC).

- Good insurance that covers helicopter evacuation.

- Good rainsuit - I used Frog Toggs for several years and just bought a BMW one piece(, though I have yet to test it out)..

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Comfortable to you saddle.....I am loving my Russell Day Long

2. LD Comfort shorts

3. Some type of hydration system

4. Throttlemeister and/or throttle rocker.......or if you can afford it Cruise Control

The majority of everything else was previously mentioned

1. Comfortable to you saddle.....I am loving my Russell Day Long2. LD Comfort shorts

3. Some type of hydration system

4. Throttlemeister and/or throttle rocker.......or if you can afford it Cruise Control

The majority of everything else was previously mentioned
This is what I call the first step. Get comfortable and stay hydrated on the bike.

Carry some cash but separate it...some in the tank bag, pocket, some in the side bags. 2 CC's same deal, separate them. Also good when one CC thinks someone stole your card and denies you gas, so you have the use of the other. Happens out the Northeast alot.

Willie

You missed perhaps the most needed item for the bike;

A Russell Daylong saddle or comparable seat (IF there is one)

An operator is a good first choice. :p
Money is a must and I mean cash.

A personal protection device ie. handgun, knife, stunner, pepper spray, or a third degree black belt. The odds of needing such tools is slim, but life sucks if you need a tool and it's at home safe and sound.

Stay dry gear, I can attest to the fact it sucks to ride while wet on a cold day. Wet on a hot day ain't all that bad. My wet/cold day experience; couldn't open and close my hands for two days. Don on this site says "There are no bad days, only bad gear." I agree.

Tire patch kit and the skill to use it.

Radar detector. Open road.

Lazer detector/jammer. Urban travel.

Clean undies and socks. You can ride for days in the same smelly shirt and pants, but chaffed thighs and foot blisters make the miles hell.

Small package of handy wipes for those "Oh shit" moments out in the middle of nowhere, yea I've wiped with leaves and newspaper but trust me, the handy wipes are much better.

Alarm and locks for the bike.

I always try and carry a bit of fresh water. There a few places in this country where it's a fair piece between watering holes. West out of Salt Lake, it's 90 miles of desert. Dehydration can make you do stupid things.

Oh yea, the most important thing to take with you on a ride, that gray stuff between your ears.

Enjoy life - Ride hard.
Well someone went and woke up Greggory (w/2 g's). Have not seen nor heard from you since DVD. Who left the cage open??

And something to carry all the stuff mentioned. A top box (trunk) is great. Waterprood and secure. But expensive. A tail bag works but isn't secure. I don't go traveling without my tankbag. Great place to keep your camera, firstaid kit, rain gloves, sunglasses, bug spray, sun block, tinted/clear face shield, etc.

Re going into and out of Canada: passport! And patience at the checkpoints.

pete

REA wicking undies. I tried LDshorts but they don't breathe very well on a hot day, great in the cold weather though. Under the seats and in the smuggler: spare bulbs, fuses, tire kit, slime pump (stripped down), di-electric grease, tools, folding knife, mini bottle of windex, microfiber cloth, chapstick, sunscreen, pencil and pad.

All good stuff, thanks. McRide what brand of wicking shorts do us recommend (REA gave no google result)?

All good stuff, thanks. McRide what brand of wicking shorts do us recommend (REA gave no google result)?

'ExOfficio' briefs. If you need to stay ventilated, avoid anything resembling shorts. As long as we're talking about saddle comfort, I make a point of wearing seamless garments, undies and pants. I wear First Gear mesh pants and there are no seams on the rear.

Latest posts