Who knew?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dead, as in link. It didn't work for me, and it's the same one posted to digg. I thing it got dugg. Anyhow, the google mirror is faster.

Wow! I have heard about this new battery technology. It is being refined for the next generation of electric and hybrid cars, but a 400 hp 619 lb motorcycle??? Holy $&!# ! The 0-60 MPH time under 1 sec is totally believable, given the drag bike set up and instaneous torque supplied by the DC motors. Nothing like the visceral sound of a huge motor whirring away.

Now about this Squid...He is obviously a smart and talented engineer. What was he thinking? Admittedly no experience. No protective gear of any sort. And he chooses a freakin parking lot to drag race a 400-hp motorcycle???

A Darwin award may be in this guy's future.

The idea is phenominal!!!

How long do you think before the FJR goes electric?

10..20 years?

Dead, but here's the worlds fastest electric squid.
The text that went with Thug's link says, "...almost killed himself..." and later says that, "...was lying on the hot Los Angles asphalt...conscious, breathing and had feeling in all his fingers and toes..." While that leaves a lot of room for other body parts to be damaged, the basic body functions were working. They took him away liberally taped to a back board.

I would note that a drag bike only needs to have a bit over a 1/4 mile range ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead, as in link. It didn't work for me, and it's the same one posted to digg. I thing it got dugg. Anyhow, the google mirror is faster.
must be a Mac thing :rolleyes:

PS what a dumbass hopped on the worlds most powerful bike without so much as a lick of gear, and no where to go... guess he got caught up in his 15 minutes

Dead, but here's the worlds fastest electric squid.
<snip>I would note that a drag bike only needs to have a bit over a 1/4 mile range ;)
Yep, range appears to be the issue. I recently followed a link (forgot from where, maybe this board?)to a neat 3-wheeler (made in Oregon, I think?) -- anyway, in the specs they gave the range as 30 miles. Not enough, yet, for most people.

But, I think electric is coming -- surely hybrid is. IF, there were proximity transformer re-charging stations (no cord) located around the country (say, at convenience stores and fast-food chains as well as regular re-fueling stations); along with a small gas/diesel engine auxiliary for emergency/supplemental power and charging -- effective range could be extended.

The 'macro' view of electric vehicles -- i.e., reduction of fossil fuel use; promotion of nuclear/solar/wind power generation; the betterment of atmospheric and local environments -- are all timely and relevant.

Drag racing, too..... :rolleyes:

What a maroon! They were right to refer to it as 'a giant cordless drill'. It drilled that mini-van pretty well!

Nothing personal y'all, but it's been my observation that many EE / Wired types have a somewhat lighter grasp on reality than the average Joe.

Found at killacycle’s web site:

I’m Fine (scapes and cuts) Bike is a little bent….

First off, I’m just a bit scraped up. Embarrassed of course. I had not intended the bike to move in the soapy water, just spin the tire.

Got it slowed down to about 20 mph. Front wheel is bent, as are front forks. Cowling is not nearly as pretty as it was.

Battery box took a hit from the front wheel. Almost certainly, some cells were shorted. No smoke. No fire. Ultra safe cells. Had these been anything but A123 Systems Nano-phosphate cells, shorts would have caused a serious fire.

No major damage. We will have it fixed in short order.

Important to note: Area in front of the bike was CLEARED of ALL PEOPLE. NO ONE was at risk but me. Concrete on both sides of area.

Yes, I am an idiot for not wearing a helmet. :-/

Addressing range, I would think for drag racing he's sucking those lithium-ion-stored electrons at a current load just shy of a dead short. Range is not an issue in his design.

Someone mentioned hybrids. That would make a lot of sense conceptually for the street, as most bikes are used in stop and go traffic, exactly what a hybrid is good at. Packaging and weight get a bit difficult, I think. And the "loud pipes save lives" crowd won't buy into it.

Link worked for me I just checked and no he did not kill himself just packaged for spinal management (as you would) and he survived with everything in tact except his pride!

400 or so HP! I feel a chubby coming on!

Always a good idea to check the tire pressure before a run...or a burnout. Woulda looked much more professional in an Evel Knievel outfit though.