Why so many FJRs for sale

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take on it is that it is getting near the end of the year. To a lot of people bikes are toys, and some people like to get new ones every year or two. We have new models available from various manufacturers to consider. Bikes dont fly off the shelves in the cooler months. So, anyone thinking about testing the waters on the sale of a bike of any kind wants to offer it up before the year changes and whatever they have becomes another year model older. I would offer mine for sale, but who wants a 30k mile ex and maybe future ticker.
How do everyone know that the new and improved models aren't potential tickers? Actually this ticking issue is a bunch of bullshit. Yes, there have been a relative few tickers, but the vast majority have not developed the tick and Yamaha fixed the tickers on their dime.

I just sold my '03 with 28.5k miles on it. Runs strong, like a champ and no ticker.

As far as people turning these (or other models) over, one can safely assume that a good many just didn't like them. It happens with most all types and brands. Some folks have ergonomic issues due to weak backs or CT problems. Most times this can be overcome with time as the body becomes accustomed to the new riding position.

I am on a 5 year cycle for new toys it seems. I agree that there are many who change out toys every year or even more. I just picked up an '03 V-Strom with 4k miles on it for a very low price. Fellow had it for a short period (2k miles) and then sold it to his son, who then put another 2.5k miles on it. It's now due for a good workout, which I will gladly give it :)

GEEZ!I am like TWN.I will drive it into oblivion and by then I will be too old to care.Besides I still own a primo 1976 Suzuki GT 500 that has been rebuilt several times over.

People move on, tastes change, needs change, budgets change... No flaws, just what happens. Me, I'm riding my '05 into the ground, then I'll restore it and start all over again.
I understand circumstances govern (which is why I currently do not own a bike), but some of these things are getting turned around with less than a season's riding on them. I, tend to keep a machine for the long haul unless its a lemon.
Have you owned a bike before or are you just scouting here?

I'm a very happy owner of a 2001 model, which is my 5th bike in 28 years. I research long & hard what I'm after, test ride them to take care of the ergonomics, & then ride 'em. I service them, & don't care if something bigger, faster, etc comes along as bikes are 'fashion accessories' for some people just like cars etc.

If it works for you, stick with it. Personally, I'm with TWN & Orangevale - a good Gen 1 doesn't mean a ticker; they weigh less; they cost less, leaving more $'s for farkles & personalising.

I'm having mine buried with me so I can ride in the Afterlife ! :yahoo:

How do everyone know that the new and improved models aren't potential tickers? Actually this ticking issue is a bunch of bullshit. Yes, there have been a relative few tickers, but the vast majority have not developed the tick and Yamaha fixed the tickers on their dime.

The tick may not affect the majority, but results of the poll shown here would indicate that more than a handful are afflicted. Almost 20% of the respondants have had a tick repair performed and are seemingly satisfied with the end result. Less than 4% felt they still had a problem after tick repair, and another 12% (myself included) feel their motor is a ticker in need of repair. The fact that I believe mine is a ticker doesn't make me sorry I bought the bike. The noise is very annoying and I'm going to get it addressed soon, but I have no plans at this time to sell the bike. I don't think I've heard of a single case of a motor failure on an FJR related to the tick issue...but it's still annoying and I'll be glad when it's fixed. To say that the tick issue is "bullshit" and affects a "relative few" is just ignoring some compelling info to the contrary. As far as the 2nd gen being "potential tickers"...only time and miles will tell. It's still a good bike.

I expect to shop a gen2 next year but am wondering why so many are for sale with so few miles and no explanation. I really want one of these and am hoping there isn't some unspoken flaw that I might not be able to stomach. Please set my mind at ease, as I have established this machine as my "dream-bike".
Many of the sales are from wussies who scared themselves sh*tless the first time they rode the bike. You have to ask yourself, if you are man enough to handle a bike like this. :)

Jill

I have a 2005;"No ticks, it runs and no errors" They will have to pry the handle bars from my riggered hand and put me in the box with a grin plastered on my happy face.

I liked my FJR but sold it because I found a BMW GS-Adv suited my desires for an 'everyday' bike better.

The FJR is much better at speed and on the interstate, but the Adv is more flickable in the tight twisty stuff and sooooo much better on dirt & gravel, more utilitarian, comfortable, etc, etc..

Rather than have 2 touring oriented machines in the garage, I let the FJR go and am replacing it with a left-over 03 Moto Guzzi LeMans.

The FJR's are fine machines and probably the best value in the sport-touring market IMO.

I liked my FJR but sold it because I found a BMW GS-Adv suited my desires for an 'everyday' bike better.The FJR is much better at speed and on the interstate, but the Adv is more flickable in the tight twisty stuff and sooooo much better on dirt & gravel, more utilitarian, comfortable, etc, etc..

The FJR's are fine machines and probably the best value in the sport-touring market IMO.
I agree. I'm selling my 06 AE because I like my new 07 ABS Tiger for the type of riding I'm doing now better. Better on dirt/gravel, more flickable in the twisties, and no noticeable difference (to me) in its stability in cross winds at speed. Brakes are stronger (take a look at the front brake calipers on a new Tiger sometime. They're about 50% bigger.) The rwhp/weight (115rwhp/436# dry) ration is also better than the FJR. Finally it gets better gas mileage and has a more upright riding position.

That said, the OEM luggage is smaller though and wind protection is less. And the AE technology is way cool, IMHO. I really do like my AE but like the Tiger better and so the AE just sits there, awaiting a new owner.

please clarify for me what a GenII bike is?I have an 05...
Then you have what some refer to as a Generation I FJR. Changes were made starting in 2006, thus Gen II. Prior to that the bike was pretty much unchanged, except for larger rotors and ABS option.

Since we're on the topic of why people trade FJRs, I thought I would share my experience to date with my throttle. After about 15 minutes my right wrist hurts and my right hand goes to sleep. I wrapped the throttle in gel-filled bicycle handlebar tape, and this helped the blood circulate but I still need to shake my hand out thoroughly at least once an hour and my wrist still hurts, and after a long day it feels like the carpal tunnel symptoms one can get from a lot of computer use. After reading the threads about the throttle, I decided to try the center spring unwind (one wind) and the G2 throttle cam. I was tempted to try the Power Commander also, but the bike has no surging or dead spot issues so I opted not to try that solution. Today I got the bike back from the dealer, after convincing them with difficulty (even though I was paying) to do the above mods (and I provided the 25-page printout with step by step instructions and photos of the spring adjustment), and in the first 15 minutes I was optimistic that the mods had worked. However, my hand still fell asleep, and while my wrist didn't hurt after a 2-hour ride, the throttle tension was still very noticeable. Now I'm considering my options, and one of them is to take the depreciation hit and trade the bike in.

As background, I've never had this problem with any other of my bikes - MZ250, Honda Magna, YZF600, Vulcan 1500, Ducati Monster 750, or Suzuki SV650. My hand/wrist is ok as well - I broke the left hand in a Magna accident in 97 and worked both hands hard during the physical therapy, and while I no longer lift I did so for 20 years so strength is not the issue. I like everything about the FJR except the throttle - the performance, comfort and looks (although I would wish for a non-UJM headlight appearance) are all excellent, and the price/feature ratio can't be beaten by any other sport-tourer (that's the opinion of the professional reviewers as well). However, while a throttle may sound minor, if a sport-tourer is uncomfortable after 15 minutes that's not a good thing, and given the outstandingly smooth engine and tranny on my SV650 I've been thinking about trading for a V-Strom. In fact, it was an effort of will not to end the ride back at the dealer for a trade. So, if it wasn't for stubborness, mine would be another less than one year old FJR for sale (2500 miles). I'll post again if I find a solution. Good riding to all!

Since we're on the topic of why people trade FJRs, I thought I would share my experience to date with my throttle. After about 15 minutes my right wrist hurts and my right hand goes to sleep. I wrapped the throttle in gel-filled bicycle handlebar tape, and this helped the blood circulate but I still need to shake my hand out thoroughly at least once an hour and my wrist still hurts, and after a long day it feels like the carpal tunnel symptoms one can get from a lot of computer use. After reading the threads about the throttle, I decided to try the center spring unwind (one wind) and the G2 throttle cam. I was tempted to try the Power Commander also, but the bike has no surging or dead spot issues so I opted not to try that solution. Today I got the bike back from the dealer, after convincing them with difficulty (even though I was paying) to do the above mods (and I provided the 25-page printout with step by step instructions and photos of the spring adjustment), and in the first 15 minutes I was optimistic that the mods had worked. However, my hand still fell asleep, and while my wrist didn't hurt after a 2-hour ride, the throttle tension was still very noticeable. Now I'm considering my options, and one of them is to take the depreciation hit and trade the bike in.As background, I've never had this problem with any other of my bikes - MZ250, Honda Magna, YZF600, Vulcan 1500, Ducati Monster 750, or Suzuki SV650. My hand/wrist is ok as well - I broke the left hand in a Magna accident in 97 and worked both hands hard during the physical therapy, and while I no longer lift I did so for 20 years so strength is not the issue. I like everything about the FJR except the throttle - the performance, comfort and looks (although I would wish for a non-UJM headlight appearance) are all excellent, and the price/feature ratio can't be beaten by any other sport-tourer (that's the opinion of the professional reviewers as well). However, while a throttle may sound minor, if a sport-tourer is uncomfortable after 15 minutes that's not a good thing, and given the outstandingly smooth engine and tranny on my SV650 I've been thinking about trading for a V-Strom. In fact, it was an effort of will not to end the ride back at the dealer for a trade. So, if it wasn't for stubborness, mine would be another less than one year old FJR for sale (2500 miles). I'll post again if I find a solution. Good riding to all!
Try disconnecting the spring. Worked for me. Also Grip Puppies (CASPORTTOURING DOT COM) cheap and effective. A throttle lock helps big time. If you unwrap the spring all the way, you will have to use the Throttlemeister for a lock. It's very good anyways, but pricey. Or you can install a cruise control. Not sure why you would even think of a PC for this problem?

You might be right. A V-Strom might be in your future, but then it may have it's own set of problems :rolleyes:

Maybe you should just bite the bullet and get a new Goldwing. You can cruise all day in comfort and no ergo issues, since it comes standard with cruise control. I also use the Grip Puppies on my Goldwing and I installed them on the

V-Strom.

i'LL second those grip puppies !! Along with some good bar ends the buzzy handlebars are a whole lot less noticeable.

I'm keeping mine for a long while. :yahoo:

I also let the spring go all the way...although this was actually due to my ineptness with my needlnose pliers and i also have grip puppies...worked for me too !! Its all good !

Bobby

There is a spring on each of the 4 throttle bodies. That is why we can disconnect the main, heavy spring. Either you are misreading the threads that say there are no springs other than the main heavy or the authors don't know what they are talking about.

I have been using throttle locks on my bikes since 1977. Haven't crashed and burned yet. Only exception is the Goldwing, which has cruise - a throttle lock would not be appropriate.

In addition to a throttle lock when not equipped with cruise, I've been using an original 'throttle rocker' on ALL my bikes, including the ones with cruise. Best $10 mod I've ever bought, and even have an extra one (in case it's lost) since I don't like the alternative 1-piece ones, or the 'new' velcro throttle rockers. No more tingling on right hand, no more gripping the throttle too hard in the twisties, plus throttle control is infinitely better, which is A MUST on the FJR. You should try one. Later.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to a throttle lock when not equipped with cruise, I've been using an original 'throttle rocker' on ALL my bikes, including the ones with cruise. Best $10 mod I've ever bought, and even have an extra one (in case it's lost) since I don't like the alternative 1-piece ones, or the 'new' velcro throttle rockers. No more tingling on right hand, no more gripping the throttle too hard in the twisties, plus throttle control is infinitely better, which is A MUST on the FJR. You should try one. Later.JC
Thanks again, all! Heeding your great tips I've ordered grip puppies, throttle rocker, and throttle meister and will advise how they work out. The time you spent contributing solutions may have saved me from a hefty depreciation hit on a trade-in!

Since we're on the topic of why people trade FJRs, I thought I would share my experience to date with my throttle. After about 15 minutes my right wrist hurts and my right hand goes to sleep. I wrapped the throttle in gel-filled bicycle handlebar tape, and this helped the blood circulate but I still need to shake my hand out thoroughly at least once an hour and my wrist still hurts, and after a long day it feels like the carpal tunnel symptoms one can get from a lot of computer use. After reading the threads about the throttle, I decided to try the center spring unwind (one wind) and the G2 throttle cam. I was tempted to try the Power Commander also, but the bike has no surging or dead spot issues so I opted not to try that solution. Today I got the bike back from the dealer, after convincing them with difficulty (even though I was paying) to do the above mods (and I provided the 25-page printout with step by step instructions and photos of the spring adjustment), and in the first 15 minutes I was optimistic that the mods had worked. However, my hand still fell asleep, and while my wrist didn't hurt after a 2-hour ride, the throttle tension was still very noticeable. Now I'm considering my options, and one of them is to take the depreciation hit and trade the bike in.As background, I've never had this problem with any other of my bikes - MZ250, Honda Magna, YZF600, Vulcan 1500, Ducati Monster 750, or Suzuki SV650. My hand/wrist is ok as well - I broke the left hand in a Magna accident in 97 and worked both hands hard during the physical therapy, and while I no longer lift I did so for 20 years so strength is not the issue. I like everything about the FJR except the throttle - the performance, comfort and looks (although I would wish for a non-UJM headlight appearance) are all excellent, and the price/feature ratio can't be beaten by any other sport-tourer (that's the opinion of the professional reviewers as well). However, while a throttle may sound minor, if a sport-tourer is uncomfortable after 15 minutes that's not a good thing, and given the outstandingly smooth engine and tranny on my SV650 I've been thinking about trading for a V-Strom. In fact, it was an effort of will not to end the ride back at the dealer for a trade. So, if it wasn't for stubborness, mine would be another less than one year old FJR for sale (2500 miles). I'll post again if I find a solution. Good riding to all!
Try the Throttle Rocker. Great little device for about $12

Try the Throttle Rocker. Great little device for about $12
Yesterday I installed Grip Puppies, Throttle Rockers (left and right), and heavy Throttle Meister. Although I haven't done a long ride yet, three 30-minute rides today lead me to believe that after 7 months of struggling I can live with the throttle now. If I had to bet, it was the Throttle Rocker that made the big difference, not bad for $12! I'm so pleased that I'll get Puppies and Throttle Rockers for my new Multi 1100 as well! Thanks again for these great suggestions.

p.s. There was one other issue today - When I stopped downhill in the alley and putting the bike on the sidestand to check a rattle, despite the 5 degree slope the bike rolled off the sidestand. Fortunately, I caught it in a good position, killed the engine, engaged the front brake, got it upright, and got the sidestand back down. My back didn't like it much, but it was great to avoid a drop and now I know never to trust the sidestand on even a small downslope.