Wild Bill peg install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottyfizz

Reaction score
Any tips,tricks or something out of the ordinary I should consider? Seems to be straightforward. Just looking for pointers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips,tricks or something out of the ordinary I should consider? Seems to be straightforward. Just looking for pointers.

Scotty, it's pretty much "lefty loosey, righty, tighty" and you're done.
I figured that. Just thought I'd throw this out there. I have no torque wrench tho.

Be careful then.

I did mine last week and they very easy to install.

R
Scotty, Fairlaner is from England. He's used to Whitworth and stuff like that ...

so if he can do it, so can you.

And while I've never seen Fairlaner torqued, I've seen him pissed.

as in drunk.

And this all has absolutely nothing to do with your footpegs, so please ignore it.

So, let me ask the question..

From a mechanical perspective, should one loosen all the cap screws in a sequential X pattern fashion, then install the Wild Bill pegs and reassembling using the same X pattern? Possibly to prevent cover warpage, gasket leakage, bad kharma from the torquing gods?

I didn't, but did wonder about it as my cap screws were waaay tight.

Oh, don't forget the spacers. :rolleyes:

Okay I have to ask this:

If you are more SPORT than TOURER, in other words you use the WHOLE tire from lip to lip, will these things hit the ground and pogo you? Wouldn't mind getting a set but if they are going to hit the ground while I am canyon dancing then they are a definite no go.

Don't mean to jack your thread. Just something to think about as well.

Fold 'em up if you're gonna be hard over. I don't ride hard enough to know, but I do know that if these touch, they don't give the same way the factory footpegs do. Also, if you low side the bracket will bend, maybe the bolts, too. Just remove the bracket and pound it with a good-sized hammer on a concrete garage floor, good as new! There was no damage to the engine cases where the brackets attached. If I recall, SkooterG has crashed a set of these, too.

DSC02684sm.jpg

My advice... bolt the pegs onto the brackets loosely before actually mounting the brackets on the bike & adjust & tighten them after getting the brackets mounted. It is really hard to get to the backside of the peg's bolt to put the nut onto the threaded post if you don't do it this way. If you don't understand what I've wrote, go ahead & mount your brackets & pegs the way you'd think that it's done. I'd guess that you'll find out what I am talking about.

I have bent my pegs in a crash. The bracket did bend & it did pull at the engine cover a little... just enough to drip oil just a little. They were a PIA to straighten out. I used a table vise & my neighbor's man strength. Once I did get them looking 1/2 decent, I sent them to Garauld to be powder coated the engine gray. Not only did it hide the imperfections, the color helps the peg brackets blend with the bike. I really like the way the powdercoating made the brackets look.

Good luck, it's really easy. Just take your time, Heidi

Oh, one other thing... when replacing the screws in the engine casing with the longer screws, be very, very careful about overtightening them. Don't ask how I know this.

Well that install went smooooth. Did a Mobil synthetic oil change and rear gear lube too while I was at it. I'm ready to roll! Now I just have to wait till May for Russell to do my seat.

I've had Wild Bill's highway peg mounts on my '05 for a couple of years now, and they are a God-send on long trips. One thing to be aware of though, is that those little cap screws were never designed to take the additional stress of supporting this application; they were only ever meant to hold their cover plates on. Over time the added stress will tend to loosen these bolts, so be sure to inspect and retighten them from time to time.

Or, as happened to me: "Hey, why is your FJR leaking out oil there?" "Oh, shit!" :glare: :unsure:

After yesterdays comments about my lean angles while out with the boys I think it would best if I obstained from this mod.

One comment was, "I was waiting for you to start scrubbing those bags on the ground". Another was, "dude, your body panels are about about 1.5 inches off the deck". Had two foot contacts the day before as well.

So yeah, Have to find another solution.