Windsong of the West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody!! We rolled into Duluth, MN about 7pm local time. That gave us 13 1/3 hours from morning to evening.

We left Detroit at 6:30am. The morning was nice, easy flowing traffic right up I-75 to Mackinaw. Stopped for a pic at the bridge view park on the UP side. 3 years in a row now I've been able to ride the bridge and stop and get a pic.
smile.png

343f408a-b6f6-4b1c-8db4-c65f8cc67249_zpsrlbootth.jpg

Once on Rt 2, the speed slowed down, but at least the scenery was decent. And then it was some 2-lane roads for a "straight shot" to Duluth. And here, I thought the UP would be a nice ride. Well, I was slightly wrong. lol. We still managed to make good time.

"The wind brings the fragrance of freshly mown hay"

One thing that was neat about driving through the pine forests of the UP was the smell. It was such a fresh smell. Like I could smell the sap and needles. mmmmmm......

Finally got to the north edge of the UP, and saw water again. This time it was Lake Superior. And I was also told NOT to take my bike onto the beach... so I kept it on the pavement.
not_i.gif
(but there was a path to the beach that looked so tempting.... LOL)

A542DCA3-FBB5-4171-832D-AAA33E1FB026_zpso291xloa.jpg

From there we just kept driving west, eventually hitting Wisconsin, and then into Minnesota. A new state for me!!

Landed at the hotel, walked next door for food, (no pic because I was hungry and forgot, whoops!), and then a shower and now relaxing in the air conditioning. Had the thermometer reading 91* for a large chunk of the day. Then about 15 miles from Duluth, we slowly dropped the temp down to 71*! That's more like it!!

Total of (something like) 721 miles for today. Ended up being mostly a drive day.

Shopping at Aerostich tomorrow morning. And then making our way to Bismarck, ND.

Alright, we're in for the night.

This morning included shopping time at Aerostich. Awesome!!!

9944CE55-4905-40E0-95F6-0ECCC0846E35_zpsxczzuedf.jpg

3 hours later- I walked out of there happy... and with an armful. It's all good though!

Then we were on the road to North Dakota. Took some "direct route" 2 lane roads through Minnesota.

Oh, and last night we had a major storm roll through the area while we were asleep. Well, woke up in the middle of the night to lightning and thunder and pounding rain. So this morning, many of those 2 lane roads were littered with storm debris. Lots of trees down in the wilderness surrounding the roads.

We stumbled across a Paul Bunyon.... somewhere.... in Minnesota.... (oh yeah, real good at these ride reports!!)

0210B2CC-D663-4934-ACC6-6D49D8B80712_zpsp4pvurzs.jpg

And then we entered North Dakota. Flat and hot. But at least the speed limit was high... so we made good time and kept the wind moving to keep us cool.

But there is something mesmerizing by the beauty of a flat, barren state.....

S10C0036_zpskuxhyalg.jpg

Which then brings us to Bismarck, ND. 450 miles for the day.

And also, the beauty of that storm from last night... has also decided to wreck havoc on my auxiliary tail lights. So we tried to do some troubleshooting and pinpointing and possibly fixing. Well, no such luck as of tonight.

64538528-94D8-4483-A1B3-876AD15D3E44_zpsdtkz6zlb.jpg

I have not had the greatest of luck with lights on this trip. One of my front auxiliary lights decided to crap out 3 days before launch. So those are turned off for the meantime. And now the sidebag tail lights are acting up. So I might just be unplugging those and going back to only stock lights for the rear, too.

It's really not making me happy. But then I look at where I am at, understand the fact that it's just the auxiliary lights, appreciate the thought that the bike is still running great, and smile and carry on.

....."The wind watches over our struggles and pleasures".....

Tomorrow is another day of "just get there". And then finally something to do in the evening. Tomorrow is Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore, and surrounding roads. Another day of over 400 miles.

Tomorrow... tomorrow... tomorrow.....

Consider using the Aux. lights anyway. For being seen, 1 light is better than none, IMO. If nothing else, those coming toward you will think - "what the heck is that lone speck light mean?" Mission accomplished.

I would assume your technical support understands the basic principles of 12V DC circuits. It's not rocket science, of course. If Pants can figure it out, anybody can. Short of a broken light fixture, you should be able to fix it easily. A $3 test light from autozone will go a long way (I have one under my seat along with the 13,546 other items I bring). Still - by all means, post up progress and questions (if necessary). This gang can re-build that engine from 1000 miles away. Your problem is a no-brainer....

Doing the ride report while you are on the ride is a neat idea. I've thought about getting a tablet and trying this. No way I could succeed from the phone. I'm often without Wifi in the evenings on my tours, though.

Somehow, that picture behind the windshield on the slab moves me. I don't care for the Interstate any more than the next guy. But that shot makes me feel like I'm there. And admittedly on long tours, if I need to get somewhere quick, the cross wind is light or non-existent, and there is no traffic (ESPECIALLY truck traffic), then a hundred miles or so on the slab is kind of enjoyable. I can relax a little regarding dangers coming perpendicular to me, and even toward me. Just raise the windscreen a little, crank up some good tunes in my Shure 215s, set the cruise at about 87 (give or take), and focus down the road. When I look at that picture, it looks kind of inviting, really.

You're doing great, Julie. Envious to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Minnesotans .... where's Babe the Blue Ox? (..... and shopping at Aerostich would get a lot of men excited, too.
greedy.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
As I sit her riding my desk chair I envy you.

Sade travels Julie and keep up the report it gives me something to look forward to.

And then we entered North Dakota. Flat and hot. But at least the speed limit was high... so we made good time and kept the wind moving to keep us cool.

But there is something mesmerizing by the beauty of a flat, barren state.....

S10C0036_zpskuxhyalg.jpg
FJRfarrier,

Yes, there is, and the danger is very real. It's often called "Highway Hypnosis," and it comes from staring down long straight roads for too long a time. A one-car roll-over accident is often the result. Highway experts know about it, and the newer Interstate highways have real limits on straight section lengths, to reduce the risk. Roads like you have pictured were laid out before the danger was recognized. The roads in the western USA are "famous" for this problem. East of the Mississippi, many drivers may not have heard of Highway Hypnosis.

On the side of the road in your picture, look at the "rumble strips" located just outside the yellow painted line. Those are some of the largest, most aggressive rumble strips that I have ever seen. It probably sounds like you are scraping a wall if you wander off the road that far, in a car. These rumble strips are expected to wake up a "mesmerized" driver. I would not want to try riding on those rumble strips at any speed, as control would be shaky <-pun intended.

Take breaks and get off the bike often, when dealing with these long straight roads. Look around a lot, and do not focus on the "far end" of the straight road when riding there.

Best wishes,

Infrared