• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wiring Harness Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebiodiesel

I wish I could think of something witty to put her
Reaction score
While giving my bike the once-over, I noticed someone had already performed the Mod for turning the CO adjustments on, which is fine. However, the locing tab that holds the connector into the PCM is missing and the connector han be easily removed from the PCM. Of course I would loike to repair this.

I am hoping someone that had a ground spider failure, or something similar, has an old harness kicking around. I would like to swap my wiring into a used PCM connector if anyone is willing to part with it.

I'd REALLY hate to have to buy a harness just for this.

Joe

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to get one? I have been looking online for a salvage yard with a wrecked one, hoping they might part with a harness or connector. No luck yet.

Anyone know where I might be able to source a new connector from whoever made it for Yamaha? I don't need any wiring, just the plastic connector.

Joe

Joe - my RR connector did the same thing.

I chimped out and used a small width ty-rap.

It's been there for well over 60k now..

Contact James Davis at Eastern Beaver and see if he can help. Eastern Beaver has been able to match the OEM connectors on the FJR and should be able to help you with your problem.

You need to call one of the bigger salvage yards and speak to someone and tell them that you are looking for a main wiring harness. All the bigger salvage yards are linked so that any one salvage company can search all the others around the country for parts. I have had poor luck via email but excellent results via phone.

Joe

Post a picture of this.

Am I correct in assuming that you desire to replace the connector with all the 60 + wires connected through it?

I may be able to help you out.

huh.gif

Brodie

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to get one? I have been looking online for a salvage yard with a wrecked one, hoping they might part with a harness or connector. No luck yet.

Anyone know where I might be able to source a new connector from whoever made it for Yamaha? I don't need any wiring, just the plastic connector.

Joe

Hi Brodie,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a pic of it, but it is the connector that connects the harness to the ECU. The same one you have to take apart to do the Barbarian Mod for the CO Adjustment. I can take a pic of it if you need me to.

Joe

I want to give a big public Thank You to Brodie. He sent me a PCM connector for nothing, and only wanted my old one in return. It helped me out a bunch. I hope I'm able to return the favor one day Brodie!!

Joe

My bike has the same problem, ever since the dumb shit 'mechanic' at the dealership broke the tab off when doing the 'altitude sickness' ECU replacement a couple of weeks after I bought the bike. I would much rather live with it the way it is rather than splice all those wires. Even without the clip mine stays in just fine and I have had the airbox out and the ECU disconnected many times now and it's fine. I know it was the dealership that broke it, because I had taken out my ECU prior to bringing the bike in for the ECU replacement under warranty, I wanted to make sure of the part number, and the tab was intact when I brought it in, broken when I got it home. I considered letting them fix it under Y.E.S., but figured they would either replace the entire wiring harness, or splice in a new connector, neither option appealed to me. After 30k miles and the plug still holds tight I am sure I made the right decision.

My bike has the same problem, ever since the dumb shit 'mechanic' at the dealership broke the tab off when doing the 'altitude sickness' ECU replacement a couple of weeks after I bought the bike. I would much rather live with it the way it is rather than splice all those wires.
No need to splice any wires. :nono:

You just make note of where each wire goes in the connector body and with the (missing) white clip released pull the wire contacts out of the old connector body and insert them into the appropriate holes in the new (empty) one. ;)

If the shop 'tards did that, you might want to make them procure a replacement connector body.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to splice any wires. :nono:

You just make note of where each wire goes in the connector body and with the (missing) white clip released pull the wire contacts out of the old connector body and insert them into the appropriate holes in the new (empty) one. ;)

If the shop 'tards did that, you might want to make them procure a replacement connector body.
Doh. I should know this, having done the Barbarian mod. And it's not like I am a stranger to replacing pins in electrical connectors, in my lab, we have a drawer full of expensive tools sitting a few feet away from me for replacing connector pins. Sometimes I forget stuff from my work life can easily apply to my bike life.

I wouldn't trust the idiots at the dealership to touch ANYTHING on my bike anymore. Oh yeah, when they broke the ECU connector clip, they also lost the shoulder screw securing the left side cover, but swore it wasn't their fault and refused to buy me a new one. Good way to permanently piss off a potential repeat customer by saving $2.

Heinen's Yamaha in Osseo MN. Total twats.