www site for map to send in with SS1K doc

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Just finished my first SS1K and I used MapsOnUs to plan the ride. Now I need an acceptable map to send in with my documentation. From the instructions it looks like they don't want the small map that MapsOnUs provides. Can anyone tell me where I can get an acceptable map from the internet?

I don't know of an online map source that you can do a true route (more than a to and from). Shoot me a PM and if I have time I might be able to produce one with my Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Congratuations by the way!

If you did a (mostly) superslab ride, just make a color copy of a US map from an atlas. Using a yellow highlighter, highlight the route. I think it's more to get a general idea of the route, so, not sure that every turn needs to be highlighted.

Congrats on the ride.

Oops. Edited to delete my incorrect suggestions.

Good thing I have MicroSoft streets and trips for my routing!

How's this for a boring SS1K:

Out and back:

Google map

You can break the map up into smaller legs and make printable versions directly from the webpage. SWEET! Just keep in mind that those IBA muckity mucks may use different software and DENY your trip. Use GOogle maps or mapquest for rough planning, and as Iggy corrected me below, NOT for official route reporting.

Hard to screw up a straight shot out and back I-70. How boring is THAT going to be? Thank goodness for XM radio and cruizzzzz control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Multiple maps of different legs from MAPQUEST.COM?
Google Maps?
That would be a big negatory. Our thread starter diligently read the rules and obviously saw this:

Please do not send in multi-page route sheets from mapping programs or an Auto club they are to hard for the verification team to get a good overview of your ride.
Neither Mapquest nor Google Maps appear to offer multiple leg mapping. They just have a start and end point.

Thanks IGGY. I'll use Streets and trips. Heck, you can buy that on the web for about $15. I got the one with the GPS for about $60.

Guess you can put in the gas station addresses AFTER the trip? Lots of data missing from Trips, and trying to get that stuff perfectly correct from the beginning just ain't gonna work.

Thanks all for the replies. I guess I'll splurge and get myself a copy of streets and trips. I'm sure it will come in handy for future rides. I'll post a ride report as soon as I get some time. It was even more fun than I expected.

I'll be the first to admit MS S&T isn't perfect. It's success to frustration ratio can be better certainly, but I guess I've gotten used to the warts. And the price is right.

Congrats on the SS1k !

Did you make any resolutions during the trip ? Like new seat, new grips, sheepskin pad, new headlights , etc etc etc ?

Any plans for a BBG ?

FREE MULTILEG WWW MAPS!!!

www.randmcnally.com

not the greatest software, but I use it for any trip planning I have...

I usually type in my start and end destinations, then start adding the middle cities as needed to plan a route =)

I thought I rememberred having a CD with a Rand Mcnally map program from years ago so I went through my old CDs last night. I didn't find the Rand Mcnally, but I did find a package of MS applications that had never been opened. It included Streets and Trips 2001. Must have been part of a bundle that came with a PC I bought some time in the past. Anyway. I installed it and it works. Great find for a cheap skate, er, I mean frugal guy like me.

Yahoo Maps has a new Beta site that includes a nice, AJAX-based mapping application with multiple stop capability. Here's the link to the new stuff:

Yahoo Maps Beta Driving Directions

I mapped my SS1K route using it, and it looks good:

yahoo-map-pic.jpg

Rand McNally atlas is like 6 bucks at Wally World. Not only did I use that atlas for my prior IBA ride submissions (photocopy page then highlight route), but I cut out the pages for use in my tankbag. They are a great size for the tankbag window, and at $6, it's a no-brainer to go out and get a whole new atlas when the current one is getting ragged, or depleted.

Nice route there tcfjr. You should be able to do that in no time at all.

I am very familiar with your C-E portion of the route, as I live in Casa Grande, and visit my parents on 6th avenue in San Diego frequently.

There are some good high-speed no traffic portions on your route. When its all said and done, you are going to look back and think to yourself, "that was easy".

Nice route there tcfjr.  You should be able to do that in no time at all.
I am very familiar with your C-E portion of the route, as I live in Casa Grande, and visit my parents on 6th avenue in San Diego frequently.

There are some good high-speed no traffic portions on your route.  When its all said and done, you are going to look back and think to yourself, "that was easy".
Skooter:

I did that route on March 26th. It took about 17 hours start to finish. You're right - the route is full of isolated, high-speed roads.

Skooter:
I did that route on March 26th. It took about 17 hours start to finish. You're right - the route is full of isolated, high-speed roads.
Congrats!

Your first IBA ride?

Yep, it was my first IBA ride. I've got my sights set on a Border-to-Border later this year, and hopefully a 50cc sometime next year.

Yahoo Maps has a new Beta site that includes a nice, AJAX-based mapping application with multiple stop capability. Here's the link to the new stuff:
Yahoo Maps Beta Driving Directions
Another example of the wonderfulness of this board.

I clearly had old information that a decent online resource for multiple waypoints didn't exsit. Obviously untrue now.

Thanks for the nugget.

....and it would appear there is yet one less reason that a person can't do a Saddle Sore.