• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WynPro Anti-Vibe Light Brackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brackets in hand. Held them up to the bike and they look good.
Test fit sometime tomorrow. I do not anticipate these being a problem fitting on the superior 1st gens or without FZ1 mirrors. Reason? The FZ1 mirrors fit on both 1st and 2nd gens with no problems. And the outer contour of the convex front faring is roughly the same...

Stay tuned for further details and pitchers...
wink.png
Tagging on here....I'll take a set once the fit is confirmed.

Brackets in hand. Held them up to the bike and they look good.
Test fit sometime tomorrow. I do not anticipate these being a problem fitting on the superior 1st gens or without FZ1 mirrors. Reason? The FZ1 mirrors fit on both 1st and 2nd gens with no problems. And the outer contour of the convex front faring is roughly the same...

Stay tuned for further details and pitchers...
wink.png
Yes, you won't have problems fitting the bolt pattern but the base of the mirror on Gen 1 and FZ1 is longer and may hang over the bracket leaving a small gap between the fairing and mirror base.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have good news and bad news for 1st gen owners:

Bad news first: These brackets do not work on a 1st gen as is, and they don't work with FZ1 mirrors as is.

The shape of the bottom of the mirrors are not even close to the same. The studs on a 2nd gen are offset towards the top and the studs on the 1st gen and FZ1 mirrors are centered. FZ1 mirror base (stock 1st gens are very similar)

100_4286.jpg

And with the rubber boot pulled back

100_4279.jpg

100_4280.jpg

And where it mounts to

100_4287.jpg

That means that the relieved area in the new aux light bracket that the 2nd gen mirror base fits into is not aligned right for a 1st gen mirror.

I was able to hog out the two holes and relieve some of the original raised part of the bracket with a Dremel to accommodate the one square corner of the mirror base, (making a complete mess of Dave's beautiful machine work, but hey... this is a proof of concept test!) and thereby get the mirror base to sit down into that relieved area, but then there is no way to tuck the rubber boot underneath.

100_4284.jpg

100_4275.jpg

100_4276.jpg

The boot could just be slid down into position, but honestly it still doesn't look all that good, and the boot could slide up.at any time.

100_4273.jpg

I think that for the 1st gens, there is no need to have a relieved area for the mirror base at all. Just make it completely flat at the thickness of what was the relieved area on these brackets.. A flat bracket may actually work universally fine for 2nd gens too.

What I've done (wish I'd have thought of this before ruining the pilot test bracket) was to make a template from cardboard with two holes for the mounting studs and trace the outside of the mirror base onto it so that Dave can fab up some FZ1 mirror compatible brackets.

100_4289.jpg

100_4290.jpg

As you can see I just left the bottom a rough square shape. Dave can jazz them up however he sees fit down there.

I'll be sending the cardboard template to him on Monday.

Very good input and it looks like we will be needing to make two different style brackets to accomadate Gen1 & Gen2 bikes. For right now Gen3 bikes are out of luck as far as this type of bracket goes. Well for Gen2's your all set and we will start phase 2 of this project for the Gen1 owners this week.

Thanks Fred for the input and when I get the carboard mockup we will get to work.

Dave

I'll send you some more ideas when I send the cardboard template, but I'm pretty sure that any 2nd gen owners who have converted to FZ1 mirrors will also need to use the phase 2 (flat) type bracket.

Well my Air induction cover run is completed so now I can see what I can come up with once I get FredW's info. I still like the curve of the fairing deal but we will see how it goes. I may try a couple different Ideas and see what folks like best.

Dave

Dave,

I think bending the brackets to follow the contour of the faring is still a good idea. Having them partly supported by the tupperware will help to keep them from flexing under severe vibration and makes them look like they belong there.

When I was saying the brackets should be "flat," I meant that they should not have areas relieved in their thickness for the base of the mirror and light bracket. Just make them a uniform thickness. So, instead of making them from 1/4" thick plate (and milling down the mirror mount area to 3/16") just form them from 3/16" thick plate, cut them to shape, drill the holes, and bend them to match the faring convex contour.

The thinner material may be slightly more prone to flexing, but the bracket being so short will help control that. The thinner, non-sculpted brackets could be used on either with either a 1st gen, FZ1 or 2nd gen mirror on top. The only difference may be the contours of the fairings may be slightly different 1st gen to 2nd.

On my Gen I the Clearwater bracket does a lot of vibrating while under-way, especially when the harmonics kick in (vibration frequency matches length of bracket). The longer length of the Clearwater bracket and thinner profile result in a level, but more vibration-prone mount The concept of these brackets seems much more stable and having the lights tucked in closer to the fairing seems like they would be less vulnerable to damage in a tip-over in addition to less vibration. It's brilliant because these lights don't need to be mounted on a level platform...something that all other designs started with.

Dave,
I think bending the brackets to follow the contour of the faring is still a good idea. Having them partly supported by the tupperware will help to keep them from flexing under severe vibration and makes them look like they belong there.

When I was saying the brackets should be "flat," I meant that they should not have areas relieved in their thickness for the base of the mirror and light bracket. Just make them a uniform thickness. So, instead of making them from 1/4" thick plate (and milling down the mirror mount area to 3/16") just form them from 3/16" thick plate, cut them to shape, drill the holes, and bend them to match the faring convex contour.

The thinner material may be slightly more prone to flexing, but the bracket being so short will help control that. The thinner, non-sculpted brackets could be used on either with either a 1st gen, FZ1 or 2nd gen mirror on top. The only difference may be the contours of the fairings may be slightly different 1st gen to 2nd.
I have some 3/16 plate stock but there might not be enough room for the head of the screw on the back side. It will be real close. I might do that along with some other choices. We might have to do a pole for the Gen1 bracket design before its over.

I actually mill the pockets after bending to make sure the surface is flat which is what you want for the mirror and light bracket.

I might try just skimming across the bracket to make it flat rather than a recess pocket. One of the reasons for the pocket is to get you close to where the bracket needs to be in position. Its milled a little larger to allow for some adjustment if needed.

The curvature of the two Gen's is probably pretty close to each other. In the distance to the bracket itself you most likely won't even notice a change. Now to go check the mail since the wife and son didn't pick it up.

On my Gen I the Clearwater bracket does a lot of vibrating while under-way, especially when the harmonics kick in (vibration frequency matches length of bracket). The longer length of the Clearwater bracket and thinner profile result in a level, but more vibration-prone mount The concept of these brackets seems much more stable and having the lights tucked in closer to the fairing seems like they would be less vulnerable to damage in a tip-over in addition to less vibration. It's brilliant because these lights don't need to be mounted on a level platform...something that all other designs started with.
Thank you Tom. I am happy with my Gen2 brackets and I am sure we can come up with something for the Gen1's. Not having one in the garage is just making it a little harder for me. Thanks to Fred we will make it happen.

Dave

SubScribed !! This looks great and I'd love to add some "Good" looking aftermarket lights to my old girl....

I'm in for a set of mounts as soon as they're ready, LR4's in hand. Meantime, I'll just sit in my front yard with a battery and flash the neighbors with my new lights.

I'm in for a set of mounts as soon as they're ready, LR4's in hand. Meantime, I'll just sit in my front yard with a battery and flash the neighbors with my new lights.
Hang in there. I will be working on it tonight and this weekend. I picked up my order of material yesterday and will be making metal chips tomorrow. I have feedback from FredW and his cardboard template in hand. Now its up to me to try and sort all this out.

Dave

Todays progress,

These are wider and longer and made for the FZ1 and stock mirrors. Gen1 & 2 I am making 3 sets

for now and hope to have them completed tomorrow. I have several sets of the oringinal design for

Gen 2 folks with stock mirrors.

100_0977_zps9b37ae07.jpg

Oh yeah buddy - making with the chips... !!!!

Shipping tomorrow George,

I was sick most the week and the misses had me spreading 35 tons of K-base material on the driveway all weekend. I am glad to report she is happy with the results. Now I don't come off the seat when I am in a hurry going down the drive way in my F350. It should be good until mud season next spring. Someday I will get back on the FZ1 brackets.

Thanks, Dave

Received the brackets Wednesday, beautiful! Can't wait to get them installed with the LR4 lights.

...just need the weather to warm up enough to rattle can the brackets.
cold.gif

Thanks again Dave.

--G

Well we made some progress and hopefully this will be the final design for the Gen1 bracket which should be able to use for either the FZ1 or stock mirrors. The pic shows both sides of the bracket. Although you don't see it very well they are still curved to conform to the fairing. I added a recess to allow for the raised portion of the fairing. On the outside bracket they are milled flat for the mirror and light bracket to mount.

I have one set going out tomorrow and I think there were a couple of other folks interested also. Who ever posted up earlier for the Gen1 FZ1 brackets will have first choice for the other two sets left. I will go back and look to see who those folks were and contact them if they are still interested. Sorry for taking so long but you have to realize I do this in my free time. Lets see how these work out and if folks are happy I will build a bunch more.

Thanks, Dave

This looks like the order of those interested.

1) Spoken for

2) SFCJCA, second set

3) Chiefblueman, Third set

4) Clocklaw, Next build unless someone gives up their spot

5) Warpdrive, Next build

On a side note I will start making a few more sets this week. Since all the programming is done and things sorted out it shouldn't take long.

100_0994_zpsc3c7e755.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.