Z6 Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Atkinson

Reaction score
Question

Does a normal Z6 Get about the same mileage as the stiffer Z6 made to Yamahas specs just for the FJR ? I just put on a set of the Yamaha spec. Man was that a job. I got 8200 miles, maybe I could have ran another 1000 or so. Happy with the Tires and Mileage. I weight 190, and almost never ride 2 up. Might carry 60 lbs camping gear most of the summer. Hope to find a tire that is easer to mount I quess.

I wasn't aware that there was a different Z6 for the FJR. I figure a Z6 is a Z6. :huh: I've heard tell of the B spec tire for two up if that's what you're referring to but I don't think that's what came stock though I could be wrong.Got 11,300 mi from my OEM Z6s and just switched to the Z8s and so far I like em. :)

Getting ready to spoon on some Z8's. I did buy the B spec rear so will see how they spoon on.

Hope they are as good as the PR 2's they will replace.

I wasn't aware that there was a different Z6 for the FJR. I figure a Z6 is a Z6. :huh: I've heard tell of the B spec tire for two up if that's what you're referring to but I don't think that's what came stock though I could be wrong.Got 11,300 mi from my OEM Z6s and just switched to the Z8s and so far I like em. :)

Take a peak in your Owners Manuak page 7-23. Z6G FT. and Z6C R are approved by Yamaha and made by Metzeler just for the FJR. (per Yamaha Specs) Much stiffer than the standard Z6's. Dennis Kirk sells them on line. They also have Bridgestone just for the FJR. Please let me know how Z8's work out.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say really, I mean motorcycle tire mileage is such a varible. I would guess "yes, most likely". I don't have the spec's in front of me but the "spec" Z6 tire for the FJR was supposedly also made for the big Beemers. I do know that a friend of mine who had a Honda ST1300 went from a heavier "sport tourer" carcass to the cheaper on sale standard sport tires. He tried several different brands, what ever was on sale at the time and again many varibles. He did tell me that the "heavier" tires seemed to last longer but he really didn't compile any data on it, just casual observation. This guy rides no matter what short of a snowstorm so he is spooning on roughly at least two sets a year sometimes three.

When I replaced my Z6's with new ones I stayed with what Metzeler showed as "spec" for the bike. Gave me peace of mind for what its worth. Of course as always your mileage and experience may vary.

In closing though I do know that the proper spec tire on trucks seriously affects wear, handling and safety!!!

Hey There:

I've run 2 sets of the Z6 "spec" tire on Francisco and got about 8K from each set before they were thrashed. Some here don't like the Z6, but I've found them to be a great tire for my style of riding in Central Cally with a mix of twisties and highway riding.

Much (most)of your mileage is specific to HOW you ride, WHERE you ride, and WHAT TYPE of roads you ride on.

Tires are like oil, run what you prefer and enjoy!!

biknflyfisher

Hey There:

I've run 2 sets of the Z6 "spec" tire on Francisco and got about 8K from each set before they were thrashed. Some here don't like the Z6, but I've found them to be a great tire for my style of riding in Central Cally with a mix of twisties and highway riding.

Much (most)of your mileage is specific to HOW you ride, WHERE you ride, and WHAT TYPE of roads you ride on.

Tires are like oil, run what you prefer and enjoy!!

biknflyfisher
I'l second that! Got just over 12k before you could almost "see" through my front tire! :D

Take a peak in your Owners Manuak page 7-23. Z6G FT. and Z6C R are approved by Yamaha and made by Metzeler just for the FJR. (per Yamaha Specs) Much stiffer than the standard Z6's. Dennis Kirk sells them on line. They also have Bridgestone just for the FJR. Please let me know how Z8's work out.

Bob
Yeah! I gotta find that thing. The wife put some stuff away for safe keeping while we were doing some home reno and now I've got a Stanley and Livingston thing going on with my stuff. :unsure: You have me thinking though. I ordered my Z8s from the dealer since it was in for the spider recall I had them do the tires at the same time and now I'm wondering if there is a Z8 speced just for the feej and is that what I have. :blink: At any rate the Z8s seem to turn in better than the Z6s and improve overall handling though that may just be that they are new. At 11,300 the front Z6 was toast but I could've squeezed some more out of the rear but since it was in for the service and being the beginning of the season I figuered I'd go for it. I also wanted to swap them as a matched pair so I get a good feel for what they were. YMMV. :)