Zumo 550 repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Both of my Zumo 550's have gone down now.

(Right before the IBR)

1 unit)

On/Off switch broke from switch board and missing rubber cover.

2 unit)

Touch screen and/or digitalizer

Questions:

Where is a good repair shop?

Fix myself? (Advice)

Can the switch just be silver soldered where the tabs were?

Touch screens on the bay any good?

Should I combine 2 to make 1 ?

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Combine and start looking at the 590LM

I like mine much better than the 550 I ran forever

Well almost forever

Touchscreens and digitizers are simple things. If they eBay feedback for the seller is good, I imagine the item will perform fine.

A Zumo 550 broken in a different way to your other one should e cheap. Maybe someone here has one, otherwise take a look around, but I guess you don't have long. You picked the worse time possible or you could have had mine.

Zumo 590 is an $800 repair :D .... Good option if you can afford it.

Have you any pictures ... Is it really silver solder and if it is just a mechanical joint, what's wrong with trying JB Weld? It's broken anyway, or wiring it permanently "ON"

Tony, I have nighmares about my GPS's breaking the night before the rally! I've got 3 550 screen/digitizer combo's off ebay and all were good. I'd go that route, who knows how long the digitizer on the one with the broken button will last. I used to carry one with me on rallies in case it broke... then I bought a spare zumo and now carry that.

I would get the combo display/digitizer off ebay. It was always the digitizer breaking on me but I felt more confident getting a preassembled combo than trying to put a new digitizer on the display.

Here is a link to the procedure I followed except skipped half of the steps because I had purchased the display/digitizer combo. Clicky

The shipping times might scare you but I've found they are always on the shorter end of the frame specified and sometimes come earlier than they claim. I guess worst case you can Frankenstein the ones you have if the new one doesn't show up. If you have troubles I can help you in ABQ. It doesn't take long.

I can't help you with the power button, but I think Twigg has given you the best advice, I'd say try it, what is the worst that could happen?? Its already broke.

Over the years, I've replaced 5 Zumo 550 digitizers & screen combos, on my and friend's units. All were purchased from eBay and all worked ok. There are some listings on eBay where they specify a slightly smaller screen size (only a few mm) at a cheaper price, I have used these too, and they work fine and don't leak.

Since most of the time the issue is with a worn out Digitizer and the Digitizer alone is a fraction of the cost of the combo package I have previously bought and installed just the Digitizer. It is totally doable, but a lot more fiddly to remove the old one (without damaging the LCD screen) and install the new Digitizer. These don't ship with the require thin double-sided tape, so you'll need to find and buy that before doing this repair if you are considering just swapping the Digitizer panel.

While you're shopping for screens also buy some screen protectors, the protectors are cheap but will insure that your Digitizer never wears out.

You could also take advantage of Garmin's upgrade option. Give them a call and they will give you options for what you can upgrade to and the different cost. This past winter they offered me a refurb 660 for my 550 and $175.00 seemed like a good deal but I opted for a 390LM option.

Garmin will offer a 20% discount on anyone upgrading a Zumo. That is what they offered me and others with broken 550s. I believe they will offer it on broken StreetPilots too, 2xxx series.

Tony, I have nighmares about my GPS's breaking the night before the rally! I've got 3 550 screen/digitizer combo's off ebay and all were good. I'd go that route, who knows how long the digitizer on the one with the broken button will last. I used to carry one with me on rallies in case it broke... then I bought a spare zumo and now carry that.
I would get the combo display/digitizer off ebay. It was always the digitizer breaking on me but I felt more confident getting a preassembled combo than trying to put a new digitizer on the display.

Here is a link to the procedure I followed except skipped half of the steps because I had purchased the display/digitizer combo. Clicky

The shipping times might scare you but I've found they are always on the shorter end of the frame specified and sometimes come earlier than they claim. I guess worst case you can Frankenstein the ones you have if the new one doesn't show up. If you have troubles I can help you in ABQ. It doesn't take long.

I can't help you with the power button, but I think Twigg has given you the best advice, I'd say try it, what is the worst that could happen?? Its already broke.
Thanks for the link!

After reading up on trouble shooting, I would say that I have a bad DIGITIZER (Got it right now)

had a close-up of the on off button in that post too.

Gonna take your advice and order both sceen & digitizer... if it does not arrive in time a 2 into 1 will be done.

See you in N.M.

Garmin will offer a 20% discount on anyone upgrading a Zumo. That is what they offered me and others with broken 550s. I believe they will offer it on broken StreetPilots too, 2xxx series.
weirdsmiley.gif
Wish I would have known that 2 weeks ago!

Here is how I replaced my 550 screen. Don't bother with just the digitizer replace the whole darn thing and save yourself some trouble. For me the savings of replacing just the digitizer was not worth the hassle.

Hey 101, Sir Tony-

If all goes South, I have a 550 I'll lend you. It works perfect, is fully updated with latest maps. Just return when done. Bustanut says you're a good guy and if Bust likes you I do too.

I also have a lot of spare gen2 parts if you need...

Anything to keep you in the rally I'll do.

dcarver

Hey 101, Sir Tony-
If all goes South, I have a 550 I'll lend you. It works perfect, is fully updated with latest maps. Just return when done. Bustanut says you're a good guy and if Bust likes you I do too.

dcarver
That was kind.

When I get to Albuquerque, if his 550 isn't working, he'll be riding with mine.

I think I can find my way home without it :D

I'll just commit this to memory ahead of time ...

Directions from Alb to Twigg's:

Go East on I40. When you come across I44 go North East until you hit Twigg's house :)

Hey 101, Sir Tony-

dcarver
That was kind.

When I get to Albuquerque, if his 550 isn't working, he'll be riding with mine.

I think I can find my way home without it
biggrin.png
Thanks Don & Steve !

I have spent one day the last 2 weekends at a fellow IBR rider (And friends) house sorting out my issues.

He has set my new 590LM up for use and today he set my new to me 2730 up for use.

I am still working on my 550(s) and have a screen and digitizer on order. I will practice working with them

on the way out to Albuquerque and once I arrive there.

Crazy to think that the last rally I completed was 2 years ago. ('13 IBR) and that was only my 2nd rally.
fool.gif

I will use the 2730 for routing on the fly & the 590 for directions. I would like to get the 550 up and running

for gas, rest stops, motels...

On a positive note: My 4.8 gallon aux. tank PUMPED out in 13 minutes!

Does anyone know if fuel will gravity feed through an open line with a fuel pump in-line?

Last edited by a moderator: