Volcanoe Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
Date changed to June 10, 2006

Click Image:

[SIZE=24pt]2006 Volcano Ride[/SIZE]

Who's Coming - June 10, 2006

---Answered: 21---

blufjr - Vancouver, Wa.

bigoi - Portland, Or.

erxkeel - Silverdale, Wa.

FJR pig - Portland, Or.

650cent - Canby, Or.

snowmonkey - Everett, Wa.

27Man - Portland, Or.

OCFJR - Oregon City, Or.

cclemc - Tacoma

EffJay - Bothell, Wa.

dabayliner - Seattle

Airbear - Portland

FJRJeff - Gresham

pfischer97035 - Local

fjr eh - Vancouver, B.C

Jeff Tate - Milwaukie, Or.

Bob Burns - Longview?

qalactus - Seattle

meosborn - Seattle

tuning fork - Gresham, Or

super d - ?

Last edited by a moderator:
We are at about a month away so why don't we start getting a head count. Maybe we need to do something special or something?

:yahoo:

Please only answer once and I will keep track by your user name. Maybe with a list, some can plan on riding together to Windy Ridge.

Put me down for tentative. I may have to attend a graduation that day. Hopefully it's the next day...

June 10th is coming up soon, schedule this ride now so you don't forget. Meet at Windy Ridge at 11:00am-1:00pm for lunch. BYOL. Look at the farkles and the new 2006 FJR's. Organize group rides with others in your area. Post that you are coming and I will add you to the list. :clapping:

Click on Images: First one is the ride discription.

See you there, :yahoo:

Ken

Ill be there, if work doesn't get in the way.

MarkB

Fjr eh

Vancouver, BC

Assuming the weather is all happy and warm and fuzzy, anybody in Portland want to meet up and ride out as a group?

If so, what would be the preferred path (I'm breaking in my Garmin software):

1) 84E to Bridge of the Gods, then 14 up to Carson, etc.

2) Up 205 to 14, 14 to Carson, etc.

3) Slab run up I-5 to 12 to Randle

Jeff

Assuming the weather is all happy and warm and fuzzy, anybody in Portland want to meet up and ride out as a group?

Jeff
Actually, FJR&R and I were just tossing around that idea on Sunday. We'd be up for a group ride north and I cast a vote for your second route. If we're early enough, we can avoid hitting all the slow 4-wheelers on SR 14.

Good call on posting this idea now. I probably wouldn't have gotten off my lazy rear end until June 9th...

Jeff
Actually, FJR&R and I were just tossing around that idea on Sunday. We'd be up for a group ride north and I cast a vote for your second route. If we're early enough, we can avoid hitting all the slow 4-wheelers on SR 14.

Good call on posting this idea now. I probably wouldn't have gotten off my lazy rear end until June 9th...
Yes, but we may end up behind slow, noisy 2 wheelers. :D

I was leaning towards option 2 myself. More scenic than 84, and not quite as straight.

Time permitting, I'll finish the routing this evening (the Garmin software is not as detailed as M$ Streets and Trips apparently), and provide some mileage numbers so we can agree on a meeting time/place.

Sounds good. Any other takers out there in the Portland area? :meeting:
Here's what I came up with:

Portland -> Windy Ridge 137 mi est: 3:37

Route:

Portland

Carson

Wakepish Rest Area

Windy Ridge

Wakepish Rest Area

Cougar

McCellen Viewpoint

Carson

14W & 205S

Total: 297 mi 7:28

It's possible the McCellen Viewpoint stop is misrouted - the Garmin software has surprisingly little detail on the remote roads (?? - what is their definition of a point of interest if not a viewpoint on a volcano?). Ken's map has a little loop highlighted that does not appear to be the same way mine routed (different software). However, according to the coordinates, and cross checking the lat/long with Google maps drops us in the same area, so maybe it's just skipping a twisty....

If it matters, I can dig some more to see if I can find something different, or copy the directions out for someone else to compare.

I suggest meeting at the Airport Way Best Buy. It's an easily accessible location close to 205 for the run up to 14.

Jeff

You got it dialed in, Jeff. Just name a time to meet up and I'm there. Depending on the weather, I know, I'm a puss.

Bill

You got it dialed in, Jeff. Just name a time to meet up and I'm there. Depending on the weather, I know, I'm a puss.Bill
Software guesstimates about 3 1/2 hours to Windy Ridge. If we need to show up sometime between 11 and 1, we can meet up at 8 or so. Does that work?

I'm with you on the weather, Bill. Riding in the rain itself doesn't bother me, but lousy weather combined with winding roads don't excite me so much. Plus, if it's a foul day, there might not be a whole heck of a lot to see. I've climbed Mt. St. Helens 3x, the last time was one week to the day before the current eruption started. I've been to Johnston Ridge, but never Windy Ridge or the other side. I'm super interested in seeing it.