Volcanoe Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FR 25 and FR 99 Not Open: Here is the Forest Service’s excuse: Congress hasn’t given them any money to plow the road and clean out the culverts. Expect complete melt off in July sometime.

Or Road will be open when Mother Nature decides to clear the road of snow.

This information is from real people at the Vancouver and Monument offices. According to the recorded messages the road to Troutlake is also not open. FR23

It’s Saturday and the weather is suppose to be great. 74 here in Portland. I will be riding up to Cougar then to the end of the road on FR 25, then on to McClellan Point where I will have lunch that I picked up on the way. I should be there around 11am-12pm to meet up with any of you that decides to come. When I leave I will go to Carson by way of Curly Creek, Meadow Creek and Wind River Rd. (FR-30) This road has a section 5.4 miles long that is equal to just about any road in the Pacific NW for twisty curvy roads. In fact, I may just go down there to kill time until 11:00am. If anyone is up to it, may take a ride on to Troutlake and Glenwood then back to Portland.

https://home.comcast.net/~kenhattan/T20_MeadowCrk.jpg

Cayuse Pass is closed due to a rock slide and both White and Chinook Passes are open.

If you are coming from the North or South, turn left at Woodland.

Some of us from Portland will be meeting at Rosie’s Restaurant on the left at the shopping plaza, for breakfast at 7:30. It’s about 70 miles to the Viewpoint and takes around 1 ½-2 hours, so we will be leaving around 8:30am. That leaves us some time to check out the gate at FR25.

If you are coming from the East, turn right at Carson.

Woodland-Cougar (30m), Cougar to end of road on FR25 (approx. 25m), from there to McClellan Viewpoint (14m), to Twisty section on FR30 (4m), Viewpoint to Carson (28m). Total section is only 95 miles long, but can be done in reverse making it 190 and a very good ride for the day. Hwy 14 isn’t too bad either.

FR 25 and FR 99 Not Open: Here is the Forest Service’s excuse: Congress hasn’t given them any money to plow the road and clean out the culverts. Expect complete melt off in July sometime.

This information is from real people at the Vancouver and Monument offices. According to the recorded messages the road to Troutlake is also not open. FR23

It’s Saturday and the weather is suppose to be great. 74 here in Portland. I will be riding up to Cougar then to the end of the road on FR 25, then on to McClellan Point where I will have lunch that I picked up on the way. I should be there around 11am-12pm to meet up with any of you that decides to come. When I leave I will go to Carson by way of Curly Creek, Meadow Creek and Wind River Rd. (FR-30) This road has a section 5.4 miles long that is equal to just about any road in the Pacific NW for twisty curvy roads. In fact, I may just go down there to kill time until 11:00am. If anyone is up to it, may take a ride on to Troutlake and Glenwood then back to Portland.

Cayuse Pass is closed due to a rock slide and both White and Chinook Passes are open.

Some of us from Portland will be meeting at Rosie’s Restaurant on the left at the shopping plaza, for breakfast at 7:30. It’s about 70 miles to the Viewpoint and takes around 1 ½-2 hours, so we will be leaving around 8:30am. That leaves us some time to check out the gate at FR25.

Woodland-Cougar (30m), Cougar to end of road on FR25 (approx. 25m), from there to McClellan Viewpoint (14m), to Twisty section on FR30 (4m), Viewpoint to Carson (28m). Total section is only 95 miles long, but can be done in reverse making it 190 and a very good ride for the day. Hwy 14 isn’t too bad either.
I thought folks were headed to the Oregon Coast now and this ride was getting postponed. Still some takers for Mt. Saint Helens, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought folks were headed to the Oregon Coast now and this ride was getting postponed. Still some takers for Mt. Saint Helens, eh?
I was under the impression this ride was kind of dead in the water since there was no access to Windy Ridge. I was hoping to see it rescheduled for August or something....

Jeff

I was under the impression this ride was kind of dead in the water since there was no access to Windy Ridge. I was hoping to see it rescheduled for August or something....

Jeff

I understand a few saw the ride to Windy Ridge as "The Ride", but the ride includes more roads than just FR99 and some of FR25. The remaining roads are still some of the best in Washington.

Having started this ride last year, I'm still waiting for the conditions I experienced for 8 years straight on the second weekend of June. I usually ride the coast in the winter and the mountains in the spring, summer and fall. If things had gone smoothly Cayuse Pass would have been opened too, allowing those from Seattle a better route to the Mountain, while doing another Volcano on the way or going home.

There are a number of folks that haven't bought into the coast ride and therefore, I'm following through with the Volcano Ride as planned, less Windy Ridge. You never know, the roads may be cleared tomorrow and open. I remember that happened 4-5 years ago. Overnight they were opened when the main offices were saying they were closed.

And, it is a gathering too.

You won't be sorry you came.

Ken

m Seattle a better route to the Mountain, while doing another Volcano on the way or going home.
There are a number of folks that haven't bought into the coast ride and therefore, I'm following through with the Volcano Ride as planned, less Windy Ridge. You never know, the roads may be cleared tomorrow and open. I remember that happened 4-5 years ago. Overnight they were opened when the main offices were saying they were closed.

And, it is a gathering too.

You won't be sorry you came.

Ken
Well, since I'm a totally new guy and unfamiliar with the area, I'm going to pass, Ken. I think I'd just be on a wld goose chase trying to hook up with you guys. We'll catch up later in the summer.

I was under the impression this ride was kind of dead in the water since there was no access to Windy Ridge. I was hoping to see it rescheduled for August or something....Jeff
How about August 20th for 'The Volcano Ride..,Part 2'

Jeff
How about August 20th for 'The Volcano Ride..,Part 2'
Works for me. Anybody else interested in revisiting/redoing this route in August?

i just got my feejer a couple weeks ago, and already had plans for the 10th, but i would love to ride up there sometime in augutst with y'all. i'm not REAL fast, and i got my first ticket in 20 years last year. and then just to prove it wasn't a fluke, i got two more within two months, so i really can't AFFORD another.

still, i DO know that my new shield is OK at 100+

sign me up. my wife hollie will come along on her magna, too, if that's ok. and if it's not, you guys have a good ride! B)

shu

Should we start a different thread for this one, to keep a tally of those interested in going as the top post, and avoid confusion?

Review of the ride can be seen at:

https://p083.ezboard.com/ffjr1300ownersasso...tart=21&stop=27

We sure had fun. :yahoo:

FJRJeff: My thoughts would be to do a new thread. Call it something like "Fall Volcano Ride" (FVR#1-2006), and I will call the early one next spring the Spring Volcano Ride. I believe the area is that good that a couple times a year isn't too much.

Ken

Yes, avoiding confusion is a good thing. Stick a fork in this post, it's done. I would start a new one when the August date is firmed up...

--G

I'll keep in touch as I can at sea. Other than that, I'll check back in around late Sept., early Oct. to see what is going on. Rubber side down.

Should we start a different thread for this one, to keep a tally of those interested in going as the top post, and avoid confusion?
Well, put me down for 8/20, or even the 19th or 21st. I couldn't find a new thread on Vocano-Part 2 so here I am with my hand in the air. I can do this one and am looking forward to it.