Volcanoe Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found this on the Internet so it has to be true. :D
For Immediate Release CONTACT: JIM NIELAND

June 5, 1997 PHONE: (360) 247-3900

^^^^^^^^

Windy Ridge Road Opens
It varies from year to year - last winter's snowpack was one of the heaviest on record.

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, 1997? What help is 9 year old road info?
None at all, I really screwed the pooch on that posting, all I read was June 5 and didn't notice the year. I do have some previous experience with Windy Ridge snow. In 1986, 3 of use tried to ride to Windy Ridge in mid-June and never got close. We got to ride into the blast area on the old one lane road (from Randle) but didn't even make it to the Miner's Car before the road was snowed in. It turned out to be a very long backtrack home.

Uh, 1997? What help is 9 year old road info?
None at all, I really screwed the pooch on that posting, all I read was June 5 and didn't notice the year. I do have some previous experience with Windy Ridge snow. In 1986, 3 of use tried to ride to Windy Ridge in mid-June and never got close. We got to ride into the blast area on the old one lane road (from Randle) but didn't even make it to the Miner's Car before the road was snowed in. It turned out to be a very long backtrack home.
Why am I starting to think this ride is going to parallel some Gilligan's Island episode? I'm not bringing a sleeping bag so one of you farkle-laden, old Gs :new_russian: with GPS better be able to find a way off the mountain Saturday.

Why am I starting to think this ride is going to parallel some Gilligan's Island episode? I'm not bringing a sleeping bag so one of you farkle-laden, old Gs :new_russian: with GPS better be able to find a way off the mountain Saturday.
Gilligan's Island? Haven't you ever been up in those parts? More like Deliverance...

:crazy:

I have a friend who lives up in Yacolt, and he checked with someone he knows on Windy Ridge.

"I think it is snowed in. I was talking to some friends last night and they said that the 90 is snowed in. One of the guys was talking about snowmobiling in to one of the lakes."

If 90 is snowed in, we won't be able to even get close, coming up from the South...

Jeff

If the Seattle folks can't get through from Randle (as I'm almost sure is the case), the only interesting option is to ride down to Woodland on I-5 and come across FR90 through Cougar. It sounds like (I'm not sure) that you can continue across 90, turn left on Curly Crk to get to FR30 and then take it into Carson and the Gorge.

If you're in Carson you don't have good options to get home. You either backtrack back to Woodland, head back to Portland, or head down the Gorge to Goldendale and take 97 N to connect to I-82/I-90.

The out/back from Randle wouldn't be very interesting and you'd never hook up with anyone from the S.

No matter how you cut it, this is a a long day to a VERY long day with mostly interestate droning. Honestly, I'd wait until Windy Ridge opens.

Mr. Wet Noodle

I have a friend who lives up in Yacolt, and he checked with someone he knows on Windy Ridge.
"I think it is snowed in. I was talking to some friends last night and they said that the 90 is snowed in. One of the guys was talking about snowmobiling in to one of the lakes."

If 90 is snowed in, we won't be able to even get close, coming up from the South...

Jeff
As I read this thread and the reports at the Gifford Pinchot website, I think Cougar-Carson is open. But no guarantees.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134729

- Mark

If the Seattle folks can't get through from Randle (as I'm almost sure is the case), the only interesting option is to ride down to Woodland on I-5 and come across FR90 through Cougar. It sounds like (I'm not sure) that you can continue across 90, turn left on Curly Crk to get to FR30 and then take it into Carson and the Gorge.
If you're in Carson you don't have good options to get home. You either backtrack back to Woodland, head back to Portland, or head down the Gorge to Goldendale and take 97 N to connect to I-82/I-90.

The out/back from Randle wouldn't be very interesting and you'd never hook up with anyone from the S.

No matter how you cut it, this is a a long day to a VERY long day with mostly interestate droning. Honestly, I'd wait until Windy Ridge opens.

Mr. Wet Noodle
I just got off the phone with the ranger station in Randle and they have confirmed that the road south from Randle to Windy Ridge is closed due to snow (9'-10') on the road.

I agree with Mr. Wet Noodle in that we should postpone this ride until late summer.

I just got off the phone with the ranger station in Randle and they have confirmed that the road south from Randle to Windy Ridge is closed due to snow (9'-10') on the road.I agree with Mr. Wet Noodle in that we should postpone this ride until late summer.

Any Portlanders want to reroute to a coast ride? Out to Astoria, down to Yaquina Lighthouse, then back?

I hate to see the day go to waste...

Jeff

I'm ridin' all day on Saturday and it makes no difference to me which direction we go. I'm guessing the weather on the coast will be decent. Let's go! :yahoo:

I'm ridin' all day on Saturday and it makes no difference to me which direction we go. I'm guessing the weather on the coast will be decent. Let's go! :yahoo:
Works for me. There's a great (but expensive) place in Astoria to grab smoked fish, so I know what's for dinner on Saturday!

I think it costs a buck or two to get down to the lighthouse.

Jeff

I'm in for whatever, just list a time and place to meet up if its different than Best Buy at 8AM.

Bill

There's a great (but expensive) place in Astoria to grab smoked fish, so I know what's for dinner on Saturday!

Jeff
I hope you're not referring to Annies :blink:

Well, this isn't looking good.

I've booked in some time with Dave at GP Suspension, on Friday AM.

I'm not really interested in riding the slab in two diretions.

Mark

Vancouver, BC

Well, that sucks! I'm set to be getting underway in a week or so. This was going to be the first/last ride of the summer. Guess I'll have to plan something else.

You Oregon guys have fun. I was just in Astoria last weekend. It was very nice. If you guy's like London style fish and chips check out the Ship Inn in Astoria. Best this side of the Atlantic in my opinion.

There's a great (but expensive) place in Astoria to grab smoked fish, so I know what's for dinner on Saturday!

Jeff
I hope you're not referring to Annies :blink:
Never heard of it. Josephson's. Expensive, but I only get out there a couple of times a year, so I bring a jar of vaseline...

Well, that sucks! I'm set to be getting underway in a week or so. This was going to be the first/last ride of the summer. Guess I'll have to plan something else.
You Oregon guys have fun. I was just in Astoria last weekend. It was very nice. If you guy's like London style fish and chips check out the Ship Inn in Astoria. Best this side of the Atlantic in my opinion.
I've been there - good stuff.

At this point, I guess this is hijacking the thread, but I was mulling over Astoria, a visit to the Column, Josephson's, then down 101 to Canon Beach and lunch at Mo's overlooking the Pacific, then on down 101 to Yaquina Head Lighthouse or cut over at Tillamook and take 6 back East. Not sure of the distance yet since I haven't mapped it...

Mark

Vancouver, BC

Hey Mark, I've have had some stuff done by GP Suspension in the past. Great shop and Dave knows what he is talking about. Are you having him do some fork work on your FJR?

Bill

Sorry about the hijack.

Mark

Vancouver, BC

Hey Mark, I've have had some stuff done by GP Suspension in the past. Great shop and Dave knows what he is talking about. Are you having him do some fork work on your FJR?

Bill

Sorry about the hijack.
I've cancell my appointment with GPSuspension.

I was going to have the bike set up and maybe the rear Wilbers 641 spring changed out for a stiffer one.

Mark

I've cancell my appointment with GPSuspension.I was going to have the bike set up and maybe the rear Wilbers 641 spring changed out for a stiffer one.

Mark
So I'm not the only one who has too soft a Wilber's spring? I know Skyway has had his changed....I'm going to try and get another year out of mine, but I'm really disappointed....or should I say "less than fulfilled expectations.

Sorry for the continued hijack. You all have a great ride this weekend.