2012 Breaks Interstate Camping Trip, May 18-20

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed crashing the party folks. It was a hoot. Thanks for taking it easy on me & my George Foreman.
It was good meeting you, don't sweat the grill, lol. We're a friendly bunch and welcome most. :D
Dude...you brought a George Foreman Grill to the camping meet? :lmaosmiley: :lol: :rofl: I guess I missed that part :lol2:

I'm gonna mention to her in the intercomm that I will need ride down 160 to Big Stone Gap to stop in Hardees for lunch. ;) I've never been on that stretch of road, but it looks tasty. Then after lunch, head back up 160 to 119! :yahoo:

I hope Louanne doesn't get motion sickness. :D
Again, unless your used to riding 2 up in the twisties, I'd be careful on 160. That is a seriously good (but extremely twisty) stretch of road.

You guys have fun. I envy you. I don't know when I'll be on the road again. My tires... front & back, are shagged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally gettin round to posting up the few crappy pics I took. I really need to get a better camera.

All packed and ready to roll

101_1147.jpg

Look Wheatie - No cabin!

101_1164.jpg

Everybody enjoying some delicious pulled pork

101_1162.jpg

Bryan (Blrfjr) demonstrating something...

101_1160.jpg

Scenery at just outside the park

IMG_0042.jpg

More scenery at Burke's Garden

IMG_0033.jpg

What was left of my front tire. First time I ever wore out the sides before the center. My rear had to be replaced mid-trip

IMG_0053.jpg

Had a blast and I thought the roads were better than deals gap area, but maybe cause they were new to me. Campground was fine, just could not accommodate much more than 30 or at the group campground. The gravel hill to the site didn't seem a big deal to me.

I'm gonna mention to her in the intercomm that I will need ride down 160 to Big Stone Gap to stop in Hardees for lunch. ;) I've never been on that stretch of road, but it looks tasty. Then after lunch, head back up 160 to 119! :yahoo:

I hope Louanne doesn't get motion sickness. :D
Again, unless your used to riding 2 up in the twisties, I'd be careful on 160. That is a seriously good (but extremely twisty) stretch of road.

You guys have fun. I envy you. I don't know when I'll be on the road again. My tires... front & back, are shagged.
I second that luvtoride. Rode that section a couple of weeks two up and it was a little difficult at times, on the Virginia side atleast. I zipped right through the Kentucky side with ease.

Look Wheatie - No cabin!

101_1164.jpg
If I hadn't seen the picture, I woulda thot you were lyin. :D

Looks like you got a BigAss BagTM for packing on yer back like I do. :lol:

Looks like a fun time. I WILL participate next year.

Joe, where is it gonna be???? :lol:

wheatonFJR said:
Look Wheatie - No cabin!

101_1164.jpg

Looks like you got a BigAss BagTM for packing on yer back like I do. :lol: GREAT pictures BTW Will...thanks for posting. They're better than mine turn out.

Looks like a fun time. I WILL participate next year.

Joe, where is it gonna be???? :lol:

I am duly warned...will take it at a reasonable pace first time through.

Man...you are ALWAY shagging your tires. Some day we will have to ride together again. :)

101_1164.jpg

What you can't see in this photo is the deluxe air mattress he installed. There was rumor of carpeting as well, but I believe that proved to be unfounded. ;)
The carpeting was in Art's tent!

Yea, I'd say Art had one of the better setups in his tent...cot up off the floor, under-cot storage, fleece carpeting. Pretty nice spread!

Congrats to Will on graduation, lol. Of course, he could've easily just had a dummy in the tent, ala Alcatraz, while he was down at the lodge during the night. ;)

Yeah, my back can't take sleeping on the ground, and there is a lot of storage under the cot for gear. It's sure nice having a piece of fleece on the floor to sit and kneel on. Bringing the cot and fleece does take up some room when packing up the bike, but I have room riding solo, and all the gear still weighs less than a pillion. If my S.O. ever wanted to go camping I'd have to get a trailer like Bob and Mike did, but her knee is toast so no riding for her. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
'What you can't see in this photo is the deluxe air mattress he installed. There was rumor of carpeting as well, but I believe that proved to be unfounded. ;) '

Hey now, mattress or not it still counts! There is no way I would have made it without.

And I'm with Art. As long as I have room and weighs less than a pillion, might as well bring it.

'What you can't see in this photo is the deluxe air mattress he installed. There was rumor of carpeting as well, but I believe that proved to be unfounded. ;) '

Hey now, mattress or not it still counts! There is no way I would have made it without.

And I'm with Art. As long as I have room and weighs less than a pillion, might as well bring it.

While I'd like to say I don't need no stinking cot or air matress 'cause I'm all manly and crap, the sad truth is that I didn't bring one because I simply never even thought of it! I'm a noob when it comes to tent camping, and I have to also cop to being a cabin pussy in another life. If I'd have actually stopped to think about it, I woulda had a mattress and a pump myself. :blush: