2015 MoonShine Lunch Run (merged)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that missed this year, it stated with tornado warnings Thursday night. Friday dawned clear and 36deg.

Total of 48 riders registered for the CGSS1K. 14 dropped out ( no accidents) and there are now 15 new IBA members.

Official burger count

........3061. Not a record butt close.

Rode the 45 miles down to Event. Was my first time and I was by myself. My plan on just following the crowd of cycles heading South out of Casey worked just fine. Since I was by myself and the weather was perfect, I parked quite a ways away. I walked to the end of each line of cycles. I started on the north side of the store and headed west at the store and then finished up heading south. I took some pictures and will post them up tomorrow. Some of my 3 biggest impressions from the event were all about Harleys. First, the individuals that ride them are bigger than most other people. Second, they(Harley Riders) don't like to let other people talk to each other. All that constant engine revving, blipping, and rumbling is so freaking annoying. Finally, IF the city of Casey and township roads around Moonshine chould sell all the oil that leaks out of those motorcycles--they would triple the amount they donate to local Fire Departments. The amount of oil I saw leaking out or left by Harleys(and some Cruisers) was astonishing. You could literally tell what type of motorcycle was in that spot by the spots that were left.

More to come tomorrow. Sorry the above was kind of negative. All of my post tomorrow will be positive. I lucked out and got an amazing history lesson from one of the best. Plus got to hang out with Airboss!! His other bike is Sexier than an FJR!! Just saying.

Glad you made it Josh, good to finally met up and hang out with you for a bit.

Good weather did bring out the loud pipes save lifes crowd, had a group of 6 from the quad cities staying at the same motel in Greenup. Dang that trailer was HUGE!

On the ride in.

ADCDD84F-BB7B-40C1-85DC-108EE03939B6_zpshvizjslq.jpg

Not much room for poor pilots.

ADCDD84F-BB7B-40C1-85DC-108EE03939B6_zpshvizjslq.jpg

Saw some interesting stuff.

083929AF-7824-414B-BCC4-B2D9BF9548C2_zpseyu5n9zb.jpg

184CADC6-1F3D-489D-B87E-ECA30DE2108D_zpslelumozh.jpg

60B8D647-775B-4A8D-B0F2-0447075ACD12_zpszjm8uox4.jpg

C4B1C41C-A48B-4896-9995-067190376F98_zpsunshtclo.jpg

Then I just started taking some pics of all the FJRs that I saw.

This one should be first.

09D3F66D-A22F-47CB-8E59-D36B7C524678_zpsid9e9jiq.jpg

6F844400-4F23-4DB4-B75B-B6D1EFEEF729_zps8vkyh3y0.jpg

2423D4C1-EAE0-46DE-92F5-D5628916BACA_zpshbrkqs5g.jpg

0CA5D683-3ADC-4238-B8BA-C56699AB814C_zpsqhm65hb0.jpg

BAD19C3C-44A3-44F5-8DAC-52C7BA709D60_zps8va1vvnf.jpg

2DCF8A80-DC85-4165-BED7-22D8639F2220_zpssz45hdou.jpg

Heading into Casey, I stopped for this pic.

E3BAA208-31FE-4A02-91B3-1E0ABBFD31BA_zpsuxgtzdtd.jpg

Some stars aligned for me to fall into this meetup......

Getting Gas back in Casey, I ran into this guy. We talked for a few min and then I realized I really needed to listen to this guy tell stories and hear the knowledge he was full of.

017F4492-5BF8-4149-A0A9-6C0614201644_zps1gj1gx2s.jpg

8D9D686F-1D95-46FC-BA32-F3CF5374718D_zpsnfd2eug1.jpg

Rick got me hooked up with AirBoss/Carl and we headed over to the Hotel to shoot the breeze. Mr. Yow was there also and some other really serious riders. Great time hearing the background to the whole story of starting Moonshine Run.

And the bike that was there at the beginning.

98557F0F-66FA-48D0-B80D-275062D407B9_zpsh4wtjvwf.jpg

8464F931-AA44-4964-A407-BF6C0A5641F7_zpsoskfkocv.jpg

One last shot of the Mecca!!!!

0E2F613D-5C9F-4279-927F-6827FEC97E58_zpsnd8kblwq.jpg

Thanks for indulging me Rick, Tom, and Carl. Your hospitality totally made my short trip as memorable as 1000 Miles!!! Thanks for all the wisdom and info on trip planning.

You forgot pie.

Never forget pie

Hand picked berries. Hand rolled crust. Home made ice cream.

20150411_083726_zpsuaga43v4.jpg

8:30am

20150411_085918_zpsbucwbpgs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got in last night after a nice two-day ride home.. Took a southern route back through Kentucky and WV, beautiful country as you all know, but kicking myself for not building in time as we passed the distilleries around Lexington. Guess that just means another trip.
smile.png

This was the second time there and only went because a friend wanted to get his SS1k. (He ended up backing out the night before, work related, although to his credit he did meet us at 0400 and rode in the rain until our first stop.) At the first in 2013 we cut our time short and it all felt rushed. This time, without the need to get right back, we found ourselves slowed up a bit and got to enjoy it better.

Some memories:

• First time I ever had anyone tell me to seek shelter. Found out later Champaign, IL activated their tornado warning system just before we pulled in for fuel.
  • Had some damn good barbecue & beans at Jason's shop on Friday after which I probably should've adjusted the suspension. The food at Friday night's organized dinner was also worthy.
  • I will pass on the Double with bacon next time and just go for a single Moonburger.
  • It was a pleasure meeting Airboss and learning that the FJR can blow out two rims and still hold steady.
  • Saw the World's Largest Wind-chime, the World's Largest Golf Tee and the future home of the World's Largest Rocking Chair. I missed the World's Largest Knitting Needles but it did prompt us to see the World's Tallest Arch the next day. And lastly,
  • learned that Garmin and myself differ in our definitions of "Unpaved Roads".
All in all a great trip. A lot of work obviously put in by the organizers which I suspect might go unnoticed by some although I hope I'm wrong there. It wouldn't take much to talk me into going back.

I had a good laugh at this shot Cav. That's my friend Dave looking your way over the big rider's left shoulder. I'm sitting on the porch right next to him there. I was THIS close to being famous!
tonguesmiley.gif

I will look back in my photo stream. I usually take more than one pic of things like that. You might be in the other pics if that glacier sized guy actually moved at some point.

I will look back in my photo stream. I usually take more than one pic of things like that. You might be in the other pics if that glacier sized guy actually moved at some point.
Thanks but that's ok Cav. This place has enough mugs without adding mine to it.

Thanks but that's ok Cav. This place has enough mugs without adding mine to it.
Oh, okay!! I understand now!! Witness protection program protocol could be compromised if I find one!!!

Picture destroyed. No trace.

Witless protection program protocol could be compromised if I find one!!!

Fixed

We must have just missed you Cav, the 2013 with the helmets gunlocked to the grab bar was mine. We had a great time this year got there a bit later than the past couple of years but had no problem getting fed fairly quickly considering the amount of people there. The moonburgers were as tasty as ever and the people were friendly as can be. I think the crowd was down a bit from last year but the adjustments for an emergency lane and a few other changes like the volunteers helping folks find parking spots was a tremendous help. We met some nice folks from at the chili supper.The singing of "Happy Birthday" to one of the young volunteers illustrates what a family friendly event the Moonshine is. The weather was the best of the three years we have been.

Steve,

I was at the chili supper where they sang to the girl. She really did not seem to be too excited to be serenaded by the group. I had my FJR shirt on. Sitting at the first table next to the desserts.........not like that was on purpose or anything.

Susan and I were sitting on the right hand side of the room close to the exit. She was wearing a black ansai jacket and I had my cortech black jacket and "patriotic" Moonshine hat on. You were right, she was more embarrassed than anything but she will remember it differently as she gets older. I thought it was cool. We want to try the food at Oilfield next time when we are passing through. (My daughter lives in Mt. Vernon)