I give, how do you remove the fairing side panels on the 2013?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thanks for the much needed write up and pics.In a lot of respects the Yamaha maintenance manual is a P.O.S.,especially compared to Kawasaki's manual for the KLR.

I always changed my own plugs ,air cleaner and did my own throttle body syncs on my 04 FJR.After taking off the fairing pieces around the instrument cluster to install mirror extensions on my 2013 I just said screw it and took it to the dealer to perform the work I use to do myself.Thanks to your write up I'm going to get back in the game and do my own maintenance work.

It's a little embarrassing to have 40k miles on a bike and never have taken the fairing off.

I agree Denny...this writeup and photos were definitely needed.

Not sure how mcatrophy and mnfjr did it without their own writeup!

I agree Denny...this writeup and photos were definitely needed.
Not sure how mcatrophy and mnfjr did it without their own writeup!
Don't know how mnfjr did it.
I made sure I was under no time pressure, followed his write-up, and went very slowly.

Of course, these days I do everything very slowly.

'Cept sometimes when I'm on my FJR ;)

I was thinking that Ignacio might have a creative new way to remove fairing bits.

You might have to ask though. Sometimes he's a little sheepish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bounce posted: I was thinking that Ignacio might have a creative new way to remove fairing bits.
DAYUM! .... but you scored two good ones ....

So those are now called his "fairing bits"?

:)

Back to on track...this thread is worth a beverage to both the major contributors for sure. If only I had the Pound Sterling to travel to Britain to provide it.

Hopefully I will see John sometime to give him his...

Last edited by a moderator:
So those are now called his "fairing bits"?
smile.png

Their "BITS" after they bust off.

If you think they'll all be there after going into the shop, think twice. These "hourly mechanic's" aren't going to take the time we would (carefully).

Me thinks Yamaha stepped back a bit going with a bolt less(or nearly so) set up. The Gen I's, piece of cake... And I like see some mechanical' to the bike.. NOT all plastic panels

Take the inner fairing bits out is simple. No more difficult than the Gen 1's.

A little tip, to remove the center panel that surrounds the gauge cluster. After removing the two screws on either side of the gauge cluster, Stand IN FRONT of the bike. Wet your hands slightly to make them tacky. The reach around and grab the boobs on the plastic piece and give them a twist while pulling away from you. Them come off easy that way.

Damn, harder to describe than to to.

Stupid Question but on the 14's and up do you have to still pull the plastic around the gauge cluster? The battery cover comes off without doing that (not sure of the left side though.....

I was thinking that Ignacio might have a creative new way to remove fairing bits.
I think the she-ep wool tool was too tough on the bodywork and left permanent marks.

Stupid Question but on the 14's and up do you have to still pull the plastic around the gauge cluster? The battery cover comes off without doing that (not sure of the left side though.....
For battery access, not necessary but for anything more, probably so.

With the help of this thread, it's not too terrible, just takes time to take apart & re-assemble.

Whoa, kinda want to keep my 05 now.

Would it be a good idea to run a fuse block to under the seat or is getting to the batt easier than it reads?