I give, how do you remove the fairing side panels on the 2013?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update, the pdf file based on my pictorial post (#15) has been reduced in size considerably, it will take a lot less time to download than previously.
Thank you for this!!
smile.png
Yes, double THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Old thread but good time for a bump closer to the top!

Maintenance day for the FJR...flushing brakes and clutch and changing coolant on my '15A. First time off with side panels, thanks again to everyone that blazed the trail with hints and tips.

What a PITA the first time - makes previous GENs seem like child's play.
weirdsmiley.gif

--G

I helped my 85 year old neighbor replace his left side panel after a drop on his new 2015. Well, actually it was kind of me doing it which is understandable given the circumstances. I mean I'm only a youngster (73). It was then I decided a gen3 is not in the cards for me. I thought my 2010 was a pain but not even close.

Also, have come to really appreciate the simplicity of my pristine '93 R1100RSL. I can have both side panels and the gas tank off in 15 minutes and not break a sweat. Shoot, I used to curse my '04 R1150RT with its 26 screws to remove the side panels but the gen3 even makes that one look good. We won't talk about doing a transmission input shaft spline lube on these bikes though.
rolleyes.gif

I can't even imagine what it would be like to replace a mirror mount on a gen3. Thank god my neighbor didn't break off the mirror.

Then there is what seems to be a problem with Yamaha dealers that don't know diddly about an FJR and I can see why as in they just don't sell many. Would be interesting how many body panel fasteners end up in the old circular file at a dealer after working on one of these beasts.

Got to ask.

Is there any way to get Mcatrophy's tutorials pinned?

These are great!

Yes I read pictures better than text.

I replaced my mirror mount last winter. I used the FJR service manual, and got through the job with minimal difficulty, although it took me a LONG time. Is it ok to post pictures of pages from the factory service manual, or do copyright issues prevent that? The main thing that the service manual shows you is the order in which to remove screws / panels. I'm not a skilled mechanic, and I was quite intimidated by the job when I first read the directions.

What's the **absolute minimum** that I need to remove to access just the radiator cap? I read through mcatrophy's write-up and pictures but that's for removal of everything. Thank you!

I'm a newbie FJR guy I'll admit. I installed a garage door opener in the battery compartment last week, and it took me 30+ minutes to get the darn cover off, and one of the tabs snapped off somewhere (found on the floor). Unbelievable...I have worked with MC's for 30+ years, and on my ST1300 I can take all Tupperware off in less than an hour - blindfolded! I just got the service manual, but surely not looking forward to taking some of the plastic off on this one - after reading this thread...

I had less than 1000 miles on the 2016A and the left mirror was very loose. Thanks for the instructions and pictures; saved me a trip to the dealership.

I installed nylon nuts in addition to the standard ones.