Poll: How fast have you been on an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the fastest you have been on an FJR?

• 80mph

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 90mph

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 100mph

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • 110mph

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • 120mph

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • 130mph

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • Over 140mph

Votes: 90 44.6%

• Total voters
I've sure never seen 130 at a track but I've only done Barber in Birmingham once. Not saying the bike won't do it, but I can't do it at my level. That straight in front of the stands isn't long enough before those tight curves headed down the hill. I've only had it up to about 115 to 120 there (I think cause I wasn't looking at the speedometer). And I think that was probably the most butt-clenching experience going fast I've ever had.

I had been following this smooth guy on a brand new BMW HP4 most of the early afternoon. I got a good jump coming out of the corners into the straight and found myself passing him right in front of the stands at well over 100. I could have braked to get back behind him but I stayed with it and shifted to 4th. Then there I was heading right into those downhill corners without being confident of my line. I was braking way too hard coming down and it scared the crap out of me. I still remember that moment like it was earlier today.

On the other hand, on a straight country road with great visibility I opened it up on a Sunday afternoon to see how far it would go before it even felt fast. I gave up after it read 135 on the speedo because it didn't even feel fast at all. It felt like 90 on my VTX. I have no desire to test my tires or the nearby farm animals that much. Glad I did it, but it's not worth the risk IMO. I'm glad to have a bike that does 100 effortlessly and that's enough for me.

Now I do plan on seeing 100 with my wife on back on one of those Wyoming roads in a little over a month. If she's not looking at the speedometer she'll think I'm doing 80.

And Bounce, you have my respect for obeying the speed limit and being a responsible driver. I think I remember you posted once about getting pulled over for going just barely over the speed limit. If that's right, there's no justice in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
+3 along TX 287 around Childress.

When I got back to the finish at one Waltz Across Texas Rally, the Rally Master (Jack Tollet) walked up while I was getting my shit together. He slapped me on the back and said, "I'm proud of ya ol' son. Every place we had someone with a radar gun set up you were locked in at 70."

There is absolutely no truth to the claims I may have gone over the speed limit at anytime.
rolleyes.gif

A couple years ago, I enjoyed a brief but fun tryst with an Audi A5 on I-95 S in South Carolina. He would get away and run out in front of me at about 120 mph. I would catch up and pass. Then he would overtake me again...and so on. After a bit, I decided to just let him run rabbit to occupy any lurking troopers and I would hang back far enough to avoid becoming the target. At some point, I got blocked in traffic and when I broke free, I ran it up into the high 130's to try to catch up. As I was approaching 140 I felt the beginning of a dreaded tank-slapper. I did not react quickly enough and in less than 2 seconds my front wheel was oscillating so fast, I could barely hang on. After a quick cleanup and underwear change at the next rest stop, I swore to never exceed 110 mph ever again in my life. That was the most scared I have ever been on a motorcycle.

A couple years ago, I enjoyed a brief but fun tryst with an Audi A5 on I-95 S in South Carolina. He would get away and run out in front of me at about 120 mph. I would catch up and pass. Then he would overtake me again...and so on. After a bit, I decided to just let him run rabbit to occupy any lurking troopers and I would hang back far enough to avoid becoming the target. At some point, I got blocked in traffic and when I broke free, I ran it up into the high 130's to try to catch up. As I was approaching 140 I felt the beginning of a dreaded tank-slapper. I did not react quickly enough and in less than 2 seconds my front wheel was oscillating so fast, I could barely hang on. After a quick cleanup and underwear change at the next rest stop, I swore to never exceed 110 mph ever again in my life. That was the most scared I have ever been on a motorcycle.
Mack, I had no oscillations but, I experienced the same thing when my Butthole started leaking. I've never done it again. I found out with this bike will do and I'm good with that. :)

Do you know what caused that? Wheel balance problem maybe? Something with the road? I think that's a rare occurrence on this bike. I've never found it to get unstable at any speed. Did you have the top-box on? I think that can make things get weird at really high speeds.

Do you know what caused that? Wheel balance problem maybe? Something with the road? I think that's a rare occurrence on this bike. I've never found it to get unstable at any speed. Did you have the top-box on? I think that can make things get weird at really high speeds.
I'm no expert, but I believe that any bike can go into a speed wobble under the right (wrong?) circumstances: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble

I think it relates to the fundamentals of motorcycle dynamics, including that natural front-tire oscillation thing that keeps bikes upright without any rider input. A speed wobble shouldn't necessarily be considered a failing of the bike (or the rider, to be clear).

Not telling. but if I had shown up on radar. I'd be the guy making your license plates.

I'm no expert, but I believe that any bike can go into a speed wobble under the right (wrong?) circumstances: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble

I think it relates to the fundamentals of motorcycle dynamics, including that natural front-tire oscillation thing that keeps bikes upright without any rider input. A speed wobble shouldn't necessarily be considered a failing of the bike (or the rider, to be clear).
I believe this is true...you will often see tank slappers on MotoGp scoots...I have ridden some bikes for years with no slappers and then it happens.. I think often as not I am the cause...death grip on the bars or something...This is your cue to relax and shift weight onto the front by sliding forward, and gently backing off the gas and light braking...

Had to amend my vote - Hit 134 GPS measured at The Ridge Motorsports Park yesterday where I was working corners during the California Superbike School event. Bike will do a little more on this track, but turn one comes up mighty fast at over 130. :-} Track is in Shelton WA.

Steve

How fast?...not sure, but I now wear diapers when I ride on the open road.

Mounted my old spare Garmin a couple weeks ago. Last I looked 137 was in the trip log. Always bagged, Vstream usually at least 3/4 of the way "up". I blame it on the R1 twins that randomly borrow it. That's my story and I am sticking to it.