Tubular handlebar adaptor for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was helpful, guys: post #22 in this very thread. I thought it was helpful when I posted it, and still think it's helpful. (Wonder if FJR JIM read it?)
If the instructions weren't clear, I'd have expected a follow-up post saying, "Uhh, what?", or a PM to me asking for clarification.

Who to ask, FTL900? Ask the general population, or maybe ask the person who seems to be most involved in the conversation or who posted the stuff that's confusing. Of course, self-starters avail themselves of our Advanced Search feature and read from the thousands of valuable threads on this website, including posts that explain how to insert photos. (Brief instructions for Advanced Search are here.)

Hey, it's a free country. If FJR JIM wants to quit because it's too hard to post photos, he has the right to do so. Apparently, he made that decision even after sapest posted the photos for him.

(PS: Thanks, sapest. I've done the photo assist a few times myself, and would have done it again if URLs had been posted, or if photos had been offered or links posted.)
I read your post 22. It confused me to follow and I post pictures regularly here. I am not the most computer literate, though I use them everyday for work in a very specialized setting. Your directions may be clear to you, but may be clear as mud to others.

For example, "To see how it's done, you can quote this post, and turn the editing bar's "light switch" on and off to see the codes. (The light switch is in the upper left hand corner.)" never used the light switch before. (Never noticed it before either). I flipped it on for this post, and codes mean nothing to me even with your description. I may be like many who don't push buttons or flip switches I don't know about because I am of the age that the blue screen of death was very real and always caused issues and having an IT support tell you not to mess with things.

I think his decision had more to do with the blow back discussion that followed. I hope he does hang around, this is a great place even with all it's faults. I think the strengths far outweigh the faults. IT is the best place to get and share information about the FJR at. Many of us have made lifelong friends here just because we love motorcycling and happen to have an interest or own an FJR. Please don't take this as criticizing you, I am not doing that. Just trying to get the point across, even the best written instructions, may not make sense to everyone reading them and trying to follow. Especially if they have other technical issues at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looky what I got delivered to day from England. The pieces are very nice quality, the machining is beautiful. Will be a little while before I have time to install. Stay tuned.

xik4543.jpg

SAHHABB.jpg

dIetOD8.jpg

zxbw7yl.jpg

mLCgrmn.jpg

AuburnFJR, I'm really excited to see how far back and how high up these go without having to change cables or hoses. What is the width of the bars?
When I get started, I'll do initial measurements and get all the particulars. I a, anticipating the need to have Motion Pro make new throttle cables. I have a wrinkle in that I also have a McCruise cruise control installed, so that will impact my cable lengths different then most others. And I am pretty sure that I will be doing new braided hydraulic lines. The good thing there are many sources of reasonable priced cables out there.

Nice kit!Another adjustable bar back option I came across:

https://www.powermadd.com/products/PowerRiser475.html
Awesome product. This is what is good about this thread. People are finding many options out there.

Thanks for the tip. Definitely will check this one out.

What year is the ZRX? I had a '99 before the FJR. great bike

For custom braided lines, I use a guy on FB, Raymond Chan. He's out of Canada and did a front line in blue for my WR450. Seems like it was $43. Custom brake line colors and end colors.
Here's his profile- you can see pics on his FB page. PM him for price quote.

https://www.facebook.com/raymond.chan.35380399?fref=gs&hc_ref=ARRNyBad387VVYzJq7Ldx_dRgWXN79WeAwr-DiZL3EOpYIBe0em7abO2KLlqJFry8AE&post_id=1521185174630921&dti=907838705965574&hc_location=group

20170123_160755.jpg

That's my 1999 1100. After trucking it from Las Vegas to Seattle 3 summers in a row to ride with my boys, I left at my son's house in Seattle so I can fly in and ride.

Years ago I had a black 2000 1100 when I lived in Atlanta. I sold it after moving to Florida and always regretted that.

P5160021.JPG

After I moved out to Las Vegas, I picked up the green 1100 later and my son decided he wanted a ZRX. We found a good deal on this green 1200 for him in Los Angeles that needed some TLC.

20140916_103722.jpg

It hadn't run in 7 years but at $1300 it was a good deal. He didn't want green because mine was green, so a buddy repainted it for us and this is the same bike a few months later..

20141222_120430.jpg

OK, quit working so much and get wrenching! Since this handle bar mod is probably the last thing for me to do to potentially make the ergo's 'perfect', I guess I'm over anxious to see the end result!
innocent.gif
whistling.gif

OK, quit working so much and get wrenching! Since this handle bar mod is probably the last thing for me to do to potentially make the ergo's 'perfect', I guess I'm over anxious to see the end result!
innocent.gif
whistling.gif
Sorry, work is still getting in the way. I am hoping to get time in the next couple of weeks

So I finally got a chance to do the install. It was easy, I do not have to extend any cables or hoses. They can go until they hit the shelf. Nice fit very comfortable. I am sitting straight up now. But better the angle of the bars is perfect for my arms and does not put a weird angle on my wrists like before.

The bars moved up 2.5" higher than they were with the MLC riser plate I had before. The bars actually moved forward 3/4", but they are 1.5" wider, although I could cut them done 3/4" to make them the same width. I like the extra width.

Also remember I have a frankentank, and with this set up I gain more turning before hitting the tank. I actually hit the shelf first. Although I didn't include a picture with my tank bag, it does not interfere with it either.

QU1srSi.jpg

KvWAMoR.jpg

BdQQ8Bo.jpg

OvAQyZm.jpg

I am giving this combination a try. Cost is $452, but it will move the bars about 2 inches higher and back up to 2 inches than I currently have with a MCL riser plate.

they bars I selected will be about 1/2" narrower than I currently have. I may have to redo some brake lines. There are plenty of choices out there for pretty reasonable prices. I'll wait to see on that though. I may have to get longer throttle cables, but those can be made custom for reasonable prices.

SW Mototech Vario barback 22mm to 28mm converter 50-60mm handlebar risers are black

ABM Superbike Fat bar handlebars Medium (0429pattern) 28 mm fat bars in black

Yamaha FJR 1300 2001-12 ABM billet top yoke handle bar with 180 gm bar ends bar ends are black, top plate is clear ALU

Looky what I got delivered to day from England. The pieces are very nice quality, the machining is beautiful. Will be a little while before I have time to install. Stay tuned.

xik4543.jpg

SAHHABB.jpg

dIetOD8.jpg

zxbw7yl.jpg

mLCgrmn.jpg

Looks very nice.........

Couple of questions:

I assume you installed new bar-end inserts, what type did you use?

I assume you had to drill out the mounting bolts for the ignition switch, any problems?

Why did you go for the fat bars? why not go for 22mm bars?

Thanks

Don