New FJR Model Comparison Matrix!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
As the production years roll by, more and more newbies don't know the basic differences between generations, and that it's not black and white on all the details between production years....I started a matrix of comparison for FJR models.

It's far from complete, but I think represents a good start at a method for keeping track of details. I know I've re-learned some differences as I researched it so far...including the amount of weight the bike has gained since 2003 with added features and changes. (from 521 lbs. in '03 to 593 for the '08 AE).

Here is the FJR1300 Model Comparison Matrix.

I will be putting it in the various FAQ's.

Enjoy.

Matt

I am one of those that doesnt know alot of the differances and that is one fine looking piece of work you compiled there.

Straight forward and easy to understand...

Very easy to find the major differences.

Thank you for the work that you put into that one.

Wow...! Nice work!!! :clapping: This should either be FAQ #1 or required reading for all new members before they're even allowed through the gate (or both)! ;)

....I started a matrix of comparison for FJR models.
Very cool. I know I'm always guessing on what changes when. Might list the revised pillion foot pegs? (or not) it is a genII thing.
and yes, ...shit, look at the weight this fat old gal keeps putting on year after year. Geeze. You 08'rs can keep that 72lbs you've got over my scrappy 04. And I thought mine was fat :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
....I started a matrix of comparison for FJR models.
Very cool. I know I'm always guessing on what changes when. Might list the revised pillion foot pegs? (or not) it is a genII thing.
and yes, ...shit, look at the weight this fat old gal keeps putting on year after year. Geeze. You 08'rs can keep that 72lbs you've got over my scrappy 04. And I thought mine was fat :blink:
+1...I think my '04 just went up in resale value. :)

Very nice. Obviously a ton of work went into this.

If I may, in the "issues" section perhaps you could make reference to the TPS recall (Gen 1) and the fuel mileage recall (2006 IIRC).

Good work Iggy.

cool. this answered a question I was pondering this morning about replacement brake rotors! :)

As the production years roll by, more and more newbies don't know the basic differences between generations, and that it's not black and white on all the details between production years....I started a matrix of comparison for FJR models.
It's far from complete, but I think represents a good start at a method for keeping track of details. I know I've re-learned some differences as I researched it so far...including the amount of weight the bike has gained since 2003 with added features and changes. (from 521 lbs. in '03 to 593 for the '08 AE).

Here is the FJR1300 Model Comparison Matrix.

I will be putting it in the various FAQ's.

Enjoy.

Matt

[quote name='wheatonFJR' post='406715' date='Apr 22 2008, By the way, dry weight for the '03's was advertised as 521 lbs., same as '04.
Actually, that's a goof on my spreadsheet. I just went back to Yamaha and recconfirmed.

2003 = 521 lbs.

2004 = 537 lbs.

2004A = 553 lbs.

2003 is lighter than the '04 and '05 according to their published data. This would also follow that they put on a heavier windshield, included a new glove compartment, and probably other small things that add the weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy:

Good data matrix!

May want to note that the Gen-2s have adjustable seat heights and handlebar positioning fwd and aft.

Ignacio,

Great job and well executed. Thanks for setting it up for printing. Please check the PDP and delivery date for the 2005, they are the same as the 2004.

Bob

Also, there was the instrument cluster TSB swap for early '06s to fix the instantaneous mpg readout,

and the Gen-2 ECU replacement for altitude surging.

Also, there was the instrument cluster TSB swap for early '06s to fix the instantaneous mpg readout, and the Gen-2 ECU replacement for altitude surging.
Added.

Great job and well executed. Thanks for setting it up for printing. Please check the PDP and delivery date for the 2005, they are the same as the 2004.
Yeah....gotta fix that as soon as I find details on '05.

May want to note that the Gen-2s have adjustable seat heights and handlebar positioning fwd and aft.
Already done on the bottom. In fact, I'll probably expand that area somehow later.

Delivery date for the 2008 model looks a little off.

(It sure is easy to see this stuff when you haven't been working on it for...hours? days? weeks?)