New FJR Model Comparison Matrix!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG... I must have followed the white rabbit. :dribble:

Great comparison Iggy! :clapping:

The interchangable mirrors between Gen 1 & Gen 2 has been confirmed. I would also like to see a line about exhaust and the fact that it is interchangeable (aftermarket pipes are). Also, PCIII interchangeable between all Gen 1 and requires new purchase for Gen 2. Different connectors and prolly new programming for new ECM.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
data in the rows... 32mm and then, later, 36mmitem in the left column - blank

most likely referencing - sterring head nut outer diameter (id/threading the same on all years)
Got it. And I was trying to remember if the finish change was concurrent with the size change...or if it was '04s that had a different nut finish than the '05s? And I'm not sure if the Gen 2 steering head nuts are the same as later Gen 1?

I would also like to see a line about exhaust and the fact that it is interchangeable (aftermarket pipes are).
Got those too. As for exhaust I entered an anecdotal observation that somebody believes the '08 exhaust is quieter than at least '06, but haven't confirmed a part change.

Thanks, Ignacio. Excellent work. :clapping: I hope everyone understands the time, thought, research and creative effort that you put in to develop this. It's a keeper!

Beautiful job Iggy! I can't even imagine how much time you've got invested in this piece of work. I would like to point out one error though....

The interchangable mirrors between Gen 1 & Gen 2 has been confirmed.

This isn't exactly correct. Gen 1 mirrors work fine on a gen 2 bike, but not the other way around. The angle of the mounting surface is very different betwen the two gens. Gen 1 mirrors have a high degree of adjustability, making them suitable for either application, gen 2 mirrors don't. I bought a pair of gen 2s on ebay and they DEFINATELY would not work on my gen 1. I resold them here.

Still, a great piece of work!

Definetely worth the price of admission. I was not aware of the whole Gen1-Gen2 thing. This opens the eyes a little to the advancements of the technology.

Thanks,

Casey

I like this "Matrix" idea for some reason. And I second Mr. BikeEffects comment, nice work Mr. Watkins. PM (a.k.a. agent Smith). <>< :D

Fantastic compilation job! Thanx!

Another comparison that I was thinkin would have some value (prior to seeing this matrix) is the differences between US, Canadian, Austrailian and Euro models. I'll can start a 'matrix' for this if those in the know will share thier wisdom.

As the production years roll by, more and more newbies don't know the basic differences between generations, and that it's not black and white on all the details between production years....I started a matrix of comparison for FJR models.
It's far from complete, but I think represents a good start at a method for keeping track of details. I know I've re-learned some differences as I researched it so far...including the amount of weight the bike has gained since 2003 with added features and changes. (from 521 lbs. in '03 to 593 for the '08 AE).

Here is the FJR1300 Model Comparison Matrix.

I will be putting it in the various FAQ's.

Enjoy.

Matt
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!!!