2018 FJR Details Released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His '13 Russell transfers right over....probably already done.
wink.png

Actually, the very first swapout of goodies were these vintage Pazzo Levers, now being installed their fourth FJR1300...

pazzos.jpg

Actually, the very first swapout of goodies were these vintage Pazzo Levers, now being installed their fourth FJR1300...
pazzos.jpg
Ohhh goddammit . . . I just sprung a hard-on! I remember that group buy and my '05 still features clear anodized levers with blue adjusters that are otherwise identical brothers to those. Well played to repurpose those beauties so many times, sir!

Last edited by a moderator:
The freeken seat should have been done in Matt blue also. I am sure it will be replaced with a Russell before long.
His '13 Russell transfers right over....probably already done. ;)
Looks like a Rick Mayer seat, not a Russell, he has on there.

But at least the stock seats are actually black. It must have been a photo phenomenon that made them look gray.

Looks like my 2008 will be upgraded to a 2018!

Absolutely love that color!

Now if someone would be so kind as to purchase one at the "New" price and sell it to me in a couple years (Much reduced)

I will be ready for my 3rd, pending another 150k on the '08.

This time of year, this far north, all I've ever done is ride this bike at night. When I took it home last Thursday, it was 5:30. I start work in the dark, and leave for home and it's dark.

As for lighting - nothing but the FINEST comments to say:

I am ready to say the low-beam is at *least* an order of magnitude superior to previous generation FJRs, and the high-beam is at least TWICE that of prior year bikes.

There two aspects about this that make this Gen IV headlight to be the finest to date:

• The light beamcast is of exceptional quality. The best aspect is the light is that it is "pure" and uninterrupted by shadowing of any type. the light is very white, not hints of any blue or yellow hues. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say they probably close to a 5000K color temperature range, thereabouts.
  • Unlike prior model FJRs, when you switch to high beam, the outstanding LED low beam remains in place, and a second large CREE is lit up to serve as high beam. The high beam seems perfectly focused to carry its beam far down the road, not up into the owls in the trees.
Let me put it this way: the LED headlights on these Gen IV bikes are so good, I am this close --><-- to selling my Clearwater Krista long range LED lamps.

Oh man.... the teasing is just killing me!! Not seeing my 18 ES for another couple of months so I have no choice but to live vicariously through you! Keep the teasers coming!

That does sound good.

FYI, for those stuck with prior year halogen headlights: If you install an H4 LED retrofit, in addition to the brighter headlights that won't burn out on you out in BFE, you will also get the feature Dale describes above of the low beam LEDs staying on while the high beams are illuminated. That makes the high beams much better, and eliminates some of the need for aux flood lights to fill in below the high beams.

How about the cornering LEDs, Dale? Any comments on those?

Let me put it this way: the LED headlights on these Gen IV bikes are so good, I am this close --><-- to selling my Clearwater Krista long range LED lamps.
The only reason I added the LED Rider LR4s and Skene IQ-275A to my '16 was to get some added day-time running lights in the eyes of drivers. That and the 'alert mode' which comes in handy for pulling over left lane campers.
wink.png

https://koczarski.com/2016-yamaha-fjr1300es/led-rider-lr4-quad-cree-xm-l2-flood-lights

If you're interested in using the Skene controller on a '16 or newer you will need to build a custom circuit to invert the input from the FJR's lighting as it uses a ground side switch for high beam. More details here:

https://koczarski.com/2016-yamaha-fjr1300es/skene-iq-275a-intelligent-lighting-controller

Video of Skene 'alert' mode.

https://koczarski.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Skene.mp4

How about the cornering LEDs, Dale? Any comments on those?
It is so cold right now (low 20's) that there really isn't a whole lot of leaning going on needed to put the Cornering Lights to serious testing.

Three large CREEs make up a cornering light. When you start to lean - even a little - the first CREE lights up. If you lean further (or, continue to lean as you were), the following two CREEs light up. When all three are lit, the side lighting is pretty damn good. But until all 3 light up, the side cornering light is a pinch on the subtle side.

And, of course, there is a very sweet-looking start-up test when you switch the ignition on.... the LED Cornering CREEs light up one at a time, then extinguish one at a time (3 lights per side, so the sequence is: 0-2-4-6-4-2-0 ).

I'll have more to stay when I can actually lean the bike around. Sadly, weather.com says that will be a while...