2018 FJR Details Released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had you just been chased in by a police car?
So I've managed to NOT use alert mode on a police car to date.

On my old ST1300 I had PIAAs and a headlight modulator and wired in a 3 way switch. One mode allowed me to turn on the PIAAs and the modulator with the high beam switch. If I camped on the driver side mirror of a car and hit the switch I had about 50/50 chance of pulling a car over. I think my record was 5 in one day. One actually pulled to the shoulder but most just moved to the right where they should have been to begin with.

The alert mode is a little more "cop" like so I only use when someone is really pissing me off. :)

Had you just been chased in by a police car?
So I've managed to NOT use alert mode on a police car to date....
In the video there were flashing red and blue lights reflected off the car, hence my question.
Ha ha ha. I never noticed that before!? :) Must be some crazy optical thing going on. There were no police in the back of my garage when I recorded the video....

The factory tires have been the same for a while now, I believe. They are the uniformly excellent Bridgestone Battleaxe BT-023F series.

The offer a very nice light, neutral steering, are pretty damn grippy in the dry (tho not of Roadsmart or PR4 parlity), and are decent enough in the wet.

Overall, not a shabby OEM tire - if I had to complain about something: I typically find the rear treadlife to be a little sub-optimal. I usually will see a indicator band pop by around 6K miles, thereabouts.

Got a set of PR4s ready to mount when these OEM Bridgestones are done.
punk.gif

Hello old friends. Just want to say, place me firmly in the camp of 2018 lovers. I stepped into a dealership today to replace a tank bag (that my girlfriend didn't latch back down properly) and I stopped dead in my tracks when I laid eyes on the matte blue. I think it's beautiful. Not sure I'd replace my '06 AE but it definitely has my gears turning.

Colours and styles are all so personal.

I saw the 2018 matte blue with black trim yesterday at the Toronto Motorcycle Show and was not impressed at all. It sat all alone in the midst newer Yamaha entries and it looked dull and dated at least to me and buddy Brian.

I would prefer more gen2 styling with the newest gen technology, in shiny black, of course.

Fire away.

I saw the 2018 matte blue with black trim yesterday at the Toronto Motorcycle Show and was not impressed at all. It sat all alone in the midst newer Yamaha entries and it looked dull and dated at least to me and buddy Brian.

I would prefer more gen2 styling with the newest gen technology, in shiny black, of course.

Fire away.
I pretty much agree with most of what you say. I think Yamaha should have stayed with the gen2 and not cheapened up the hardware only to add a few electronic gizmos to attract buyers. Kind of what most manufacturers are all about these days. Just take a gen2 and add the electronic cruise control then call it good. Maybe do something meaningful and upgrade the wiring harness with high quality waterproof connectors and get rid of the daisy chain ground system. Of course unseen improvements like this won't sell many bikes but oh well... Things like paint finishes are OK but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Fire away.
I pretty much agree with most of what you say. I think Yamaha should have stayed with the gen2 and not cheapened up the hardware only to add a few electronic gizmos to attract buyers. Kind of what most manufacturers are all about these days. Just take a gen2 and add the electronic cruise control then call it good. Maybe do something meaningful and upgrade the wiring harness with high quality waterproof connectors and get rid of the daisy chain ground system. Of course unseen improvements like this won't sell many bikes but oh well... Things like paint finishes are OK but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
I have had two GenII's and now a 2014 GenIII. There is nothing about the GenIII I consider cheapened. The only things I wish I had on my earlier GenIII are slipper clutch, 6sp trans, and LED lights. Otherwise, I am a happy rider!
bike.gif

Ive seen the 2018 several times now and I think its the sharpest looking FJR I can remember seeing. I am tempted.

Yep, if they dont come in time the dealer will let me use the silver ones from my 03.

I really want to get a few miles on it before I take it south.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator: