Any tips/tricks to get neoprene onto plastic drinking tube?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so I bought a Skyway hydration system a long time ago and I finally got around to putting it on the bike. The install is going well this afternoon -- until the instructions say to slide the several feet of neoprene insulation tubing over the plastic drinking tube. I've tried some PAM on the drinking tube, but after 30 minutes only about 6 inches are in. (That was an opening for ODOT and friends). :)

Any tips to make it easier to slide in, from those who have done it before? (That was opening number two for miscreants).

Serious suggestions preferred, but some humor allowed. :D

TIA

OK, so I bought a Skyway hydration system a long time ago and I finally got around to putting it on the bike. The install is going well this afternoon -- until the instructions say to slide the several feet of neoprene insulation tubing over the plastic drinking tube. I've tried some PAM on the drinking tube, but after 30 minutes only about 6 inches are in. (That was an opening for ODOT and friends). :)
Any tips to make it easier to slide in, from those who have done it before? (That was opening number two for miscreants).

TIA

Easy.

Sink filled with warm, soapy water.

Soak the sleeve and the tube, then just slide them together while in the water. Works well.

Needless to say, you'll want to rinse out the soap when you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIA

Easy.

Sink filled with warm, soapy water.

Soak the sleeve and the tube, then just slide them together while in the water. Works well.

Needless to say, you'll want to rinse out the soap when your done.
I knew I could count on somebody like you Hal. Simple too! I think that is three beers I owe you......

The soapy water ain't working any better........... I think the tube is too big for the diameter neoprene. This is eating up my afternoon......might give it up a while. My hands hurt. (Yes, go ahead, I just gave more fodder. K-Y just might be tried....... :unsure:

I feel for you man. I had mucho trouble with mine, too. IIRC I ended up tying the drinking tube to my vice with a long piece of wire (long enough to go through the neopreme). Then I had my wife pull the wire tight while I slowly worked the neopreme up the drinking tube. It may have taken a couple of hours but I "got-er-done" in the end.

It took me days to get that neoprene on that tube. HOT and soapy (almost boiling water), soak the neoprene, I put the tubing in the freezer, and it was a fight. I finally have all the tube covered with the neoprene, but they were the same length to start with, now the neoprene is about a foot longer and I don't want to cut it off. Some day, I'll figure out how to get it the rest of the way on the tube. Luvtoride may have some tips on it, she said she was able to get this done without a big fight.

Yup..."hot" soapy water and a lot of patience. IIRC, I worked at mine for a couple of evenings....1/8" at a time. :dribble:

Vagilube?
Oh, damn, a "real" answer has already been posted.
Hey! Until your bike is one piece again, you are not allowed to post here. All your time should be directed at the rebuild so you can go to NAFO. I suspect that's what you're trying to do, but the vagilube comment was too much to resist. I can understand that I guess, but get back to work now and leave the tube lubin' to the rest of us!

Thanks for the support guys. I have it soaking and every once in a while get a bit more on. Now have about 18 inches....

I'm feeling studly... :rolleyes:

Nice to know it isn't just me.

Hot soapy water is how I went. Once you work about 4-5 inches on, go back to the bottom & work a little more on. Work that little amount towards the top inching your way to where you started. (obviously, what was already at the top moves up the tube) Next thing you know, it's mostly on. You really need to be patient about it. It took me a longggg time to finally get the technique goin' on correctly but once I got it, it went on fairly easily.... but it was a pain getting to that point.

Rick, I didn't cut mine... but worked all of the neoprene onto the tube. It'll work. It might take some finegling... but it will all go onto the tube Good luck,

Heidi

Hot soapy water is how I went. Once you work about 4-5 inches on, go back to the bottom & work a little more on. Work that little amount towards the top inching your way to where you started. (obviously, what was already at the top moves up the tube) Next thing you know, it's mostly on. You really need to be patient about it. It took me a longggg time to finally get the technique goin' on correctly but once I got it, it went on fairly easily.... but it was a pain getting to that point.
Rick, I didn't cut mine... but worked all of the neoprene onto the tube. It'll work. It might take some finegling... but it will all go onto the tube Good luck,

Heidi
How did you fasten the clear tube to the one in the neoprene?

I have a T connector to joint the two water hoses together, but I guess I'm missing a couple of connectors. I got two sets....

any idea what stores would carry them?

Thanks,

mary

Heidi
How did you fasten the clear tube to the one in the neoprene?

I have a T connector to joint the two water hoses together, but I guess I'm missing a couple of connectors. I got two sets....

any idea what stores would carry them?

Thanks,

mary
Ummm....the neoprene is a tube shape. You slide it easily on with soap and water onto the flexible tubing :glare: . No connector needed. Then there is a connector from the rigid tube section in the reservoir of water and the now soapy neoprene covered flexible tubing. at the other end goes the bite valve.

Then there is a connector from the rigid tube section in the reservoir of water and the now soapy neoprene covered flexible tubing.

I got the neoprene onto the tubing, no problem. And I have a bite valve.

But there aren't any connectors to connect the two pieces of tubing together... the rigid and the soft tubing.

Thanks,

Mary

SPU, just a thought, but did you check for direction of assembly arrows on the tube ?

You might be trying to push it in the wrong end . Jus' a suggestin'

:eh-smiley:

SPU, just a thought, but did you check for direction of assembly arrows on the tube ?

Huh?

I got the neoprene onto the clear tubing no problem.

No way to hook the clear and the rigid tubing together... of course I could just use the clear tubing....

Cant' put the bottles on the footpegs, anyway. They'll fit nicely, but that's exactally where I put my feet down... on my Harley! No more FJR.. :eek: (

I'll strap the bottles to my luggage, tho, the colors wont' match anymore... blue and yellow way cool bottles.. red Harley... oh well... :eek: )

thanks

Mary

Huh?

I got the neoprene onto the clear tubing no problem.

No way to hook the clear and the rigid tubing together... of course I could just use the clear tubing....

Cant' put the bottles on the footpegs, anyway. They'll fit nicely, but that's exactally where I put my feet down... on my Harley! No more FJR.. :eek: (

I'll strap the bottles to my luggage, tho, the colors wont' match anymore... blue and yellow way cool bottles.. red Harley... oh well... :eek: )

thanks

Mary

the Skyway kit came with a connector.

You have to be shatting me, right? Going to look now.

Latest posts