SW-FOG 2010 in Taos, New Mexico; September 16-19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=123522&hl= Our Canadian Friend Barb has posted her 1st Annual Western Canadian Regional Ride for September 10-12, 2010 on Vancouver Island, British Columbia; this item was all I was waiting to hear for me to post up our Southwest FJR Owners Group Ride to be held September 16-19 in Taos, New Mexico!!!

Our lodging for this event will be Best Western Kachina Lodge, this hotel is right downtown and we can walk to the cantinas!

Besides being Rally Master, I'm also your Ride Master; and do I ever have 2 outstanding days of New Mexico riding planned!

Friday: Taos to Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla to Chama to Antonito to San Luis to Questa. Mas caminos y mas amigos ese!

Saturday: Taos to Red River to Eagle Nest to Mora to Penasco to Chimayo to Espanola to Taos. This's The Enchanted Circle!

DINNER COORDINATOR VOLUNTEER REQUEST: I love planning Motorcycle Rallies and planning Day Rides. I despise trying to coordinate Group Dinner functions. If someone is willing to step forward and volunteer for this task of being the Dinner Coordinator for SW-FOG Saturday night, your efforts will be appreciated. Papa Chuy is NOT going to lift a finger for this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets hope thats not the same weekend as NAFO.....Would be cool to do one after the other.

R

Very cool!!! I attended WeSTOC in Taos last year at the same lodge. Great place to stay and great rides in the area!

Lets hope thats not the same weekend as NAFO.....Would be cool to one after the other.
R
Richard, I hear you loud and clear Brother! Barb and I exchanged numerous private messages together in our efforts to make sure 1st Western Regional Canadian Ride and SW-FOG 2010 did not "step on" each other-we estimated the M/C riding time and distances for people coming to Victoria, BC then riding on to Taos, NM: It seemed a logical rolling ride progression!

When FJR NAFO does occur in 2010 was a concern to us, but we were both being asked by fellow FJR Forum Members when exactly the dates of 1st West Canada Meet and SW-FOG 2010 were. You and I are both retired now, so this factor does not affect us: US and Canada companies are really putting "the screws" to employees in regards to the taking of vacation time!

As you know, because we were yakking about it at my Birthday Party last Wednesday (which you so nobly attended!), Mike McNamara - Shiny Parts Up is riding Copper Canyon of Mexico with me November 2010. His employer DEMANDED to know his vacation dates for this Off Road Expedition a full year in advance, in order to guarantee he could make the Mexico trip!

If I am still here, I'm in. Hell, if I am not here, I will try to be in ( I have the same employer as Shiny, so we'll see)

Maps Papa Chuy, Maps!

https://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainlan...e=1284274800000 Only for grins and giggles, I was just looking at scenic routing from Vancouver Island to Taos. Cross on Sunday from Comox to Powell River and ferry from Saltery Bay to Canada 101. Spend Sunday night in tent at Manning Provincial Park.

Monday night spent at Waterton Lakes National Park. Cross into Estados Unidos on Interstate 15 at Sweet Grass; attempting to convince Canadian Royal Mounted Police, Niehart isn't a "Goofy Newfy" attempting to escape Canuckistan!!! Tuesday night camping at Yellowstone Nat'l. Park.

Wednesday night in my Coleman Aries PeakII tent at Rocky Mountain National Park in pinheadland. Taos-Thursday Noon.

If I am still here, I'm in. Hell, if I am not here, I will try to be in ( I have the same employer as Shiny, so we'll see)
Maps Papa Chuy, Maps!
Fellow Zonies, what in the hell? I thought we booted his ass up to ShinyPartsUpLand weeks ago. BAD PENNY IS STILL HERE!

I am not the AAA, if you want maps: PM my illegitimate bastard son SkooterG and get his worthless ass to make you maps!!

count me in, since the Bacon flu didn't do me in it, maybe a New Mexico burrito and fajitas will? aways said spicy mexican food would be the death of me :p

Like I said, I work for the same people as Shiny! THE GUBMENT! These things take time.

Oh, uh Skooter.............................................................................

A week earlier and, if I end up doing the 3Flags this year, I could have spent some time in Mexico and hit SW-FOG on the way home. Now it looks like I'll just have to spend less time in Mexico (it'll be too hot anyway!) and do VanIsle on the way home.

A week earlier and, if I end up doing the 3Flags this year, I could have spent some time in Mexico and hit SW-FOG on the way home. Now it looks like I'll just have to spend less time in Mexico (it'll be too hot anyway!) and do VanIsle on the way home.
Jeff, anytime in the future you want to ride to Mexico: I'll be your Huckleberry! Chuy will ride South at the drop of a sombrero!

https://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainlan...e=1284274800000 Only for grins and giggles, I was just looking at scenic routing from Vancouver Island to Taos. Cross on Sunday from Comox to Powell River and ferry from Saltery Bay to Canada 101. Spend Sunday night in tent at Manning Provincial Park.
Monday night spent at Waterton Lakes National Park. Cross into Estados Unidos on Interstate 15 at Sweet Grass; attempting to convince Canadian Royal Mounted Police, Niehart isn't a "Goofy Newfy" attempting to escape Canuckistan!!! Tuesday night camping at Yellowstone Nat'l. Park.

Wednesday night in my Coleman Aries PeakII tent at Rocky Mountain National Park in pinheadland. Taos-Thursday Noon.
Don, this whole trip looks like fun! I might have to join you on your way north! Even if that doesn't work out, you know I'll be in Taos. I've already check rates.

Chuy will ride South at the drop of a sombrero!
You planning anything FJR-worthy down there next Spring? That Baja trip sure looked like a good time and I wouldn't mind trying to hitch on to the next one.

I just spent 10 minutes on the phone yakking with HotRodZilla over in Albuquerque and AJ had some great ride suggestions.

On Sunday, if you are heading in a Northernly direction to return to sus casa: We were going to ask our pinhead if he would lead a SW-FOG group from Taos through Alamosa to Gunnison. That'd get you a couple hundred miles away into Colorado!

Also, if you wanted to do more riding on Sunday morning: AJ and I would be glad to lead a group on "The Triangle"; this is to White Rock, then Jemez Springs. At that point, I would peel off onto NM 4 to Bernalillo and then to I-40 to PHX, Arizona.

If you were heading South you'd get onto Interstate 25 to Las Cruces/El Paso; or go I-25 North by NorthEast to Denver, CO

AJ says his brother Alex might be able to help us out with dinner. And, he told Bust and RadioHowie to go screw themselves!

Don, this whole trip looks like fun! I might have to join you on your way north! Even if that doesn't work out, you know I'll be in Taos. I've already check rates.

Chuy will ride South at the drop of a sombrero!
You planning anything FJR-worthy down there next Spring? That Baja trip sure looked like a good time and I wouldn't mind trying to hitch on to the next one.
https://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Chandler&a...ville&2s=WA You are of course welcome to ride North with me. This'll be a forced march ride and not particularly scenic, Tuesday evening for me to Southern Utah; then grind out the miles until we hit Woodinville, Washington. I get the couch, you get to sleep with Niehart!

pinhead: If you and Kyndall wanted to ride Mexico on Northern Triangle Ride I took SkooterG and GSJane on it's a good one!

The beauty of that ride is we don't have to mess with a Vehicle Import Permit and we do not need any Tourist/Visitor Permit!

Miho, Taos is only just over an hour from Abiquiu, and the ranch and museum where that American treasure, my Auntie Georgia O'Keeffe, spent her final years changing the world's ideas about women and art. I understand it to be a magical place

and likely worth a side trip. By itself, it should be reason enough to make this gathering.

...Plus, I'm guessing there'll be beer.

OKeeffeRoadPasttheRanch.jpg

Dam Don, I'm planning on riding off the north end of the Vancouver Island Monday and then head for Hyder then the Yukon. Might have to re-think this.