DaJuice and Cruzin need a fuel cell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you using?
Right now it's Pro/E and Mastercam

The resume also mentions Pro/NC, SURFCAM, UGS NX (pre-Siemens).

CADKEY and AutoCAD don't get mentioned. I haven't use AutoCAD since version 10.

We should find something to collaborate on. Have you seen CAD exchange, A thread for the CAD/CAM people?

I have way too many posts in that thread. It reminds me that I've gotta change that avatar :rolleyes:

I forgot about Pro/E. Our electrical team uses that one. It may appear like I know what I'm doing with this CAD stuff, but that is only because I have a couple wizards that I work with that help me figure out what I need. This is about as most 3D modeling as I've ever done... and I learned most of it earlier this week. It is kinda fun to play around with. I'd be game for working on something together though... as soon as my bike is ready for the IB5K (which might be the day before I leave). This reminds me about something I've been meaning to PM you about... check your inbox.

I did not know about that thread... It never occured to me to check this board for anything CAD related. What doesn't this board have (besides a single fuel cell that everyone likes).

And yes, please change your avatar. I liked the holiday season much more than new years resolution season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm done with the design for a while... time to buy some sheet aluminum and build it. Once we get it welded up we can finalize the bracket and the mounting points for the valve and anything else we want. Here is what it looks like in CAD now.

cell-with-baffle-rev-a21.jpg

I've added the radiused bends, the sides with the exception of the front will be one long bent sheet and the rest of the pieces welded to it. I did give in and dropped the height by 1/16" to get the volume to 4.79 gallons according to CAD.

As to the question of how many we will build... Once I get one of these built and formalize the cost I'll put a post up to gauge interest. I don't really like the idea of signing up for the liability of building and selling a fuel cell though so I've been giving some serious thought to forming an LLC. I did a little homework there online. The filing fee for MN is $160.00. There are online places like Legalzoom.com that will help set one up without having to sit down with a lawyer.

Warchilld if your still checking out this thread I was wondering what is the height from the bottom of you cell down to the main base plate the the seat sits on?

Did you put your bulkhead fitting up by the fuel pump or down lower towards the back of the tank?

I was thinking of putting the bulkhead towards the back and have about 4" clearance under the fuell cell for storage area, hopefully that will be high enough to still make it gravity feed. I'm with the KISS theroy on this Keep It Simple Stupid :D

If everything goes as planned later today I should have the base welded up and some pictures of version #1 :yahoo: Which will slide into our pillon mounts and have 2 bolts securing it to the main seat base B)

Did you put your bulkhead fitting up by the fuel pump or down lower towards the back of the tank?
I was thinking of putting the bulkhead towards the back and have about 4" clearance under the fuell cell for storage area, hopefully that will be high enough to still make it gravity feed.
We were looking at Smitty's thread here. Seemed to work for him.

Warchilld if your still checking out this thread I was wondering what is the height from the bottom of you cell down to the main base plate the the seat sits on?
A goodly amount... don't know about the exact measurement, but it was a fair amount, as you can see:

storage_cavern.jpg

Incidentally, while it was above the cross-over bar when the above photo was taken, in actual operation, the aux fuel line runs *under* the crossover bar!

storage_cavern_rightside.jpg

final_left_qrt_view.jpg

enclosure.jpg

By the fuel pump... it has the proper flat area to work with for a leak-free bulkhead fitting.

A goodly amount... don't know about the exact measurement, but it was a fair amount, as you can see:
storage_cavern.jpg
DaJuice & Cruisin,

Don't know about you but I for one would give up having a gravity feed vs a small, reliable solid state fuel pump (like the ones available in most auto parts stores) if it meas adding that much weight so damn high up above COG.

DaJuice & Cruisin,Don't know about you but I for one would give up having a gravity feed vs a small, reliable solid state fuel pump (like the ones available in most auto parts stores) if it meas adding that much weight so damn high up above COG.
Have you seen this thread... Clicky. We have been talking quite a bit lately and even taking measurements on each others bikes (convienient since we live about 10 miles apart).

I'm not concerned with the COG, 4.8 gallons of fuel will not be nearly as noticable as those PITA passengers squirming around.

Have you seen this thread... Clicky. We have been talking quite a bit lately and even taking measurements on each others bikes (convienient since we live about 10 miles apart).
I'm not concerned with the COG, 4.8 gallons of fuel will not be nearly as noticable as those PITA passengers squirming around.
I've been following Joe's aux tank projects since he started. I am not a fan of the Tanji style tank and the Bennet tank is too $$$, so that leaves something like Joe's current aluminum tank project, his JAZ cell or the one you guys are working on. Pricing is a big factor and i'm definitely going to use a fuel pump (with the grav feed if it works at all in the lower mounting position as a back up).

Unfortunately i'm afflicted with the "twisties" disease (especially having to spend so much time being exiled in stinking Flori-duh) so i'm unable to go slow when i come to any turn thus i don't want to hinder the bike's cornering dynamics by having that much weight even a few inches higher than necessary.

Me personaly the higher weight don't matter, that little bit of gas is nothing compared to the Wife on the back jumping around :D

Then again I'm not one of those people who has to have the saddlebags perfectly balanced out either to ride :rolleyes: I'm more of the touring type of FJR owner, not that I can't hang pretty good with a YZF on the Dragon if in the mood :yahoo:

If everything goes as planned later today I should have the base welded up and some pictures of version #1 :yahoo: Which will slide into our pillon mounts and have 2 bolts securing it to the main seat base B)
I am very interested in seeing details of how the cell is mounted (see my thread here), so pictures would be much appreciated! :)

I've been following Joe's aux tank projects since he started. I am not a fan of the Tanji style tank and the Bennet tank is too $$$, so that leaves something like Joe's current aluminum tank project, his JAZ cell or the one you guys are working on. Pricing is a big factor and i'm definitely going to use a fuel pump (with the grav feed if it works at all in the lower mounting position as a back up).

Unfortunately i'm afflicted with the "twisties" disease (especially having to spend so much time being exiled in stinking Flori-duh) so i'm unable to go slow when i come to any turn thus i don't want to hinder the bike's cornering dynamics by having that much weight even a few inches higher than necessary.
The fuel pump is not necessary at all for the fuel to tranfer. If you look at these pics of mine and how low it is. I only use gravity feed I have had this set up for many 1000,s of miles with no issues at all with fuel transfer.

IMGP0479.jpg

Here are pictures of the rough draft, it will be similar to this but there will be a few changes :clapping: My measurments were a wee bit off :angry: We are having a meeting of the minds :rolleyes: on Saturday.

Fuelcellmountweb.jpg

Just a slight tilt forward while on the centerstand:

Fuelcellmountweb2.jpg

The plan is to enclose it with a undecided material. This one sits about 4.75 inches of the main bracket for the seats. It will have 2 bolts going threw the front of it to securley mount it and slides right into our rear seat holders. Hopefully this will keep Mr. Warchild and Mr. Austin happy :yahoo:

You don't need to take Warchild literally when he recommends:

If this is good....

Antique%20Toilet%20003-1.jpg

this is better

Old-Toilet.gif

The opinions expressed in this post do not necessary express the opinions of the author, or this broadcast station.

:D

You don't need to take Warchild literally when he recommends:

If this is good....

Antique%20Toilet%20003-1.jpg

this is better

Old-Toilet.gif

The opinions expressed in this post do not necessary express the opinions of the author, or this broadcast station.

:D
This is best

197-15-thailand-squat-toilet.jpg

Sorry couldn't help it. :p

I'm interested in knowing how the Bennet Tank in mounted. :huh:
I never got that far with my conversation. He gave me a footprint but it was missing some information so I still can't tell if it would work with a Givi rack either.