2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the updates and pictures! Wish I could get the time to go see the finish in Spokane, but work won't let me.

So - who's bike is this?
You get three guesses - and the first two don't count !!

635694239_orJoL-M.jpg
I'm not sure I can tell without pictures of the banged up FJR plastic from dancing on the playa.

I'll get back to you on that...

Iggy Update:

Heard from Matt..... looks like he is headed to Gay, Michigan, a hefty bonus near Lake Superior, and on the way are two more significant ones.

He'll probably take a route through Nevada and Wyoming and then keep heading east and north. He'll also probably head back west through Canada - Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, which means he'll likely come to Spokane from the north.

I haven't seen Leg Three Bonus Listing yet, so I don't know what all he is after, but if he scarfs up what he think he can get, it should be well over 60,000 points on this Leg. Go, Iggy! Go FJR guys!!

Go, all riders! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the two hydration set up, many solo riders had a dual system. I think that was a good idea in the heat they have faced.

doctorj

A few face shots of checkpoint 2 (Santa Ana, Doubletree Hotel, Aug 30, 2009)

IMG_7269_1.JPG

IMG_7271_1.JPG

IMG_7220_2.jpg

Some a few more face shots of checkpoint 2: IBR09C2 Web Photos

Does anyone know how many bikes are NOT using auxillary fuel cells? Do you get any benefit or penalty for NOT having the auxillary cell?

Does anyone know how many bikes are NOT using auxillary fuel cells? Do you get any benefit or penalty for NOT having the auxillary cell?
There is not a scoring benefit or penalty. However without a fuel cell you have to stop more often, generating more paperwork for the fuel log, making scoring mistakes more likely. I doubt anyone in the top 50% is without a fuel cell.

What is all the stuff on the farlke shelf? The wiring looks more like a Patriot Special :lol:
I spy...

(2) Garmin's

(1) Valentine

(1) Datel

(1) TPS system

(1) StarCom

(1) XM Radio Puck

(1) Valentine remote audio thing-a-mabob

And a mess or wires. Certainly not going for the Esthetically pleasing award :)
How does the rider use the two GPSes? Is it for a backup or would one be set up for the current bonus being sought and the other for the next bonus?

How does the rider use the two GPSes? Is it for a backup or would one be set up for the current bonus being sought and the other for the next bonus?
I've read that a rider might program the entire route (all waypoints) to know when he/she might finish and the second with the individual stops. So they would know their over-all ETA to the rally checkpoint and know the ETA to the next bonus.

Or, as a backup sure...

There is not a scoring benefit or penalty. However without a fuel cell you have to stop more often, generating more paperwork for the fuel log, making scoring mistakes more likely. I doubt anyone in the top 50% is without a fuel cell.

Actually, if you are running a stock tank under 7 gallons, you are not required to keep a fuel log, so there is a paperwork benefit.

Warchild probably know for sure, but I think there were around 6 or 7 bikes without fuel cells at the start.

FWIW, Bob Hall won in 2001 without a fuel cell.

Actually, if you are running a stock tank under 7 gallons, you are not required to keep a fuel log, so there is a paperwork benefit.

Warchild probably know for sure, but I think there were around 6 or 7 bikes without fuel cells at the start.

I'd think that the benefit of being able to skip the paperwork on fuel logs would be good motivation to run stock fuel cell only. I think it would be cool to also award a few hundred bonus points for having the stock fuel cell only. Seems like the rider would have to plan a little better on long legs without the additional fuel.

I did not know this! That would be a reasonable benefit. man do I hate the fuel log! Course I have an Iphone app that allows me to collect all the data.

Actually, if you are running a stock tank under 7 gallons, you are not required to keep a fuel log, so there is a paperwork benefit.Warchild probably know for sure, but I think there were around 6 or 7 bikes without fuel cells at the start.

In the event that one does not run an aux tank, is it allowed to carry say a 2-3Gal jerry can, just in case a planned gas station is closed or has crappy fuel as we've seen happen already in this rally?

many of the guys have 2, 1 quart hydration tanks and divide their drink between them and top off with ice or so im told i personally think catfishes hydration system is the premium unit but thats just because i made it. with a little welding help from a truely talented welder quacka. I still have my hopes up for a safe return of all our friends having fun on the road. may the sun shine on their backs and the gremlins take a few weeks off!

Actually, if you are running a stock tank under 7 gallons, you are not required to keep a fuel log, so there is a paperwork benefit.Warchild probably know for sure, but I think there were around 6 or 7 bikes without fuel cells at the start.

In the event that one does not run an aux tank, is it allowed to carry say a 2-3Gal jerry can, just in case a planned gas station is closed or has crappy fuel as we've seen happen already in this rally?
No.

From the IBR Rules of 2003 (a .DOC file):

e. Fuel capacity (measured by the methods set forth below in Appendix A) not to exceed 11.5 U.S. gallons for two-wheeled motorcycles or 15.5 U.S. gallons for sidecar and trike classes. If any fuel is carried in other than an original equipment fuel tank, the fuel container(s) must be plumbed directly to the fuel system and meet each and every one of the following conditions:

1. Expansion of the stock (OEM) fuel tank is permitted, provided that such expansion is of similar material, gauge, and construction as that of the stock fuel tank;
  2. Non-OEM main fuel tanks and auxiliary tanks are permitted if they are NASCAR-, IHRA-, or NHRA- approved or, at the sole discretion of the rallymaster, determined to be of acceptable quality;
  3. Any auxiliary tank(s) shall be mounted in a secure manner so as to minimize the chance of its becoming separated from the motorcycle. Approval of attachment systems rests at the sole discretion of the rallymaster;
  4. All fuel lines must be routed so as not to interfere with the operation of the motorcycle;
  5. An electric fuel pump, if used, must be properly wired and fused;
  6. The auxiliary tank(s) must be properly vented for pressure buildup and overflow; and
  7. Fuel may not be carried in excess of the quantities set forth in this section, or in containers not complying with the above standards, unless expressly approved in advance by the rallymaster.

The rules for 2007 were essentially the same, with some additional requirements related to baffling. The rules for 2009 have not been widely published so far.

Latest posts