2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been watching the Rally with interest, because I am planing on entering in 2011. I have told my family and friends about my plans, and asked for their support. The reply I got from one friend is inserted below. I don't know what to think of it???-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW CAN YOU WANT MY SUPPORT? Fred, no way will I send you off with my blessing next year to end up torn to bits. I am sorry for the riders that are hurt. I am so sorry you feel you must do these insane rides. You crashed last year in the north GA Mountains. Compared to this, it was a simple ride. What will it be like riding a 1000 miles a day for 11 days? Does that make sense? NO! I am so sorry you feel you must fulfill your life in such a way. What a pity. There are so many many other safe ways to feel fulfilled and happy. You have absolutely no conception of how those of us who love you fret and worry. It is not considerate of you at all. You simply want to do what Fred wants to do with no thought of others. Now I have said my say.

I am sure this message has not changed your mind and I may have lost a friend, but I will not have you on my conscience if you are killed in a crash. I will grieve terribly, I assure you.

Sara

Happy Trails

Atlanta

Happy, please go and read my post "So you want to be an IBR rider...".

I don't know you or your background. You may be god's gift to long distance riding or just your average guy. Read my post and then think about what your friend is telling you. There are only two possibilities; you are right or she is right. Before you dismiss her out of hand, be totally honest with yourself.

Best of Luck,

Steve

I have been watching the Rally with interest, because I am planing on entering in 2011. I have told my family and friends about my plans, and asked for their support. The reply I got from one friend is inserted below. I don't know what to think of it???-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW CAN YOU WANT MY SUPPORT? Fred, no way will I send you off with my blessing next year to end up torn to bits. I am sorry for the riders that are hurt. I am so sorry you feel you must do these insane rides. You crashed last year in the north GA Mountains. Compared to this, it was a simple ride. What will it be like riding a 1000 miles a day for 11 days? Does that make sense? NO! I am so sorry you feel you must fulfill your life in such a way. What a pity. There are so many many other safe ways to feel fulfilled and happy. You have absolutely no conception of how those of us who love you fret and worry. It is not considerate of you at all. You simply want to do what Fred wants to do with no thought of others. Now I have said my say.

I am sure this message has not changed your mind and I may have lost a friend, but I will not have you on my conscience if you are killed in a crash. I will grieve terribly, I assure you.

Sara

Happy Trails

Atlanta
With friends like that, who needs enemies? What a dumb-ass answer to a friend. "It's all about me." The correct response to a friend in a case like this is "No thank you. Good luck."

BTW, although I don't get this IBA stuff, and love to rib my buddy Jerry about what a nut he is, I've taken this opportunity to learn about the rally. I read the rules and have been following the daily reports. It's been really fun and interesting to follow. I'm amazed what these guys can do. It's not for me, but my hat's (helmet's) off to these guys. I've been routing rooting for Jerry to finish, and have looked for him in every daily report. Go Jerry!

On a side note, given the mechanical issues, single-vehicle accidents, deer strikes, and other sundry events that have occured, I've gotta believe that, across all the combined miles, there must be wisdom that can be learned from a statistical analysis of the rally. X riders across Y miles.... And these are experienced riders. Of course you have to factor in the alertness variable and others. Not sure you could actually deduce probabilities, since the sample may not be representative, and certainly doesn't represent all riders.... Anyway, just a thought.

JB

**Edit** RIP, Davo. Condolences to the family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, wow. wow, what a rally! Enjoyed following it as much as past rally's. We had plenty of pics to be able to put faces to the names in the awesome reports. There were highs and lows, suspense and drama.- just the way life is supposed to be!

Deepest sympathy to Davo's people and my utmost respect to all the riders. Well done.

I have been following this rally and thread with great interest over the past 11+ days. Thanks to everyone who contributed and to the riders who finished and and attempted to finish. What a great rally!

It's too bad it had to have tragedy attached to it. It's a risk we all know and accept, it's just terribly sad to see. My thoughts and prayers go out to Davo's family and friends. May he rest in peace and may his family and friends find solace in knowing he was doing what he loved.....

I've joined the land of more normal and going to go wander Spokane today. I found this morning in addition to a blown shock...a flat rear tire. Combine that with my audio system going out about 40 miles from the finish line....that she held together just long enough.

I haven't begun to remotely process the Davo thing....that's going to take me some time. I rode with him in the New Mexico and Arizona area.....and I was also one of the riders that came on the scene. It definitely is a shadow. Just damn.

But, regardless the organizers through an INCREDIBLE event. I'm going to be spending months analyzing the place I visited. Higdon is a literary and rally god!

Later.

Ig

Great ride, Iggy.

I think we're all touched and affected by the tragedy of what happened to Davo, though surely none as much as his family, friends and the riders and IBR folks who had the chance to get to know him in the rally. All evidence is that he was quite a guy.

Welcome back, Iggy. I rode home from Spokane earlier this morning... thinking of Davo the entire way.

It is beginning to hit me harder now.

Hearing his voice again in this St Charles video had me in tears in short order. I suspect it'll be a bit of a rough stretch for a bit.

Looks like the Iron Butt site is down... Hope it's only a temporary load issue, can't wait for the final Austin epilogue.

Congrats to Skooter & Iggy & all the other IB folks, good rally. Glad Jim Owen didn't break down this time.

EDIT:

Well it's back up 3 minutes after I posted...

Thanks to Warchild and company for a terrific vicarious trip during the rally. Hats off to all the IBR participants for the moxy to attempt such a challenge.

And Godspeed Davo. May we all live as well as you.

Craig

My thoughts and prayers are with Davo's family and friends. I know first hand that it's tough to lose those we love.

Congrats to SkooterG on his 5th place finish! Well done, dude!

First, condolences to all riders who were injured in this rally and a wish for speedy recoveries. To the family of Davo, my deepest sympathies.

To Matt, Greg, Turbo Dave and all the other riders who put it on the line -- great job! Heartfelt congratulations :clapping:

To Dale and others that kept us informed and on the edge of our computer keyboards. THANKS!!!

Oh, and Skooter? Clean out your damned mailbox will ya? Sheesh... like ya got something better to do? :p ;) :D

I've joined the land of more normal and going to go wander Spokane today. I found this morning in addition to a blown shock...a flat rear tire. Combine that with my audio system going out about 40 miles from the finish line....that she held together just long enough.
I haven't begun to remotely process the Davo thing....that's going to take me some time. I rode with him in the New Mexico and Arizona area.....and I was also one of the riders that came on the scene. It definitely is a shadow. Just damn.

But, regardless the organizers through an INCREDIBLE event. I'm going to be spending months analyzing the place I visited. Higdon is a literary and rally god!

Later.

Ig
Iggy ~ First, congrats on your excellent finish! You've made us all proud of you...

Could you tell me as closely as possible the actual location of the Davo crash? I know it was on US 95, but what is the closest town? What a tragedy.

Thanks, Don

Congrats:

Greg Marbach, Peter Behm, Michael Evans, Matt Watkins, Dick Peek, Wendy Crockett, Buford Neely, Bob St. George, Chris McGaffin, Terry Neale, Jerry White, David Porter, Jim Mulcahy, Chris Whitmore.

Also Alan Barbic, Tom Bisagni, Derek Dickson, David Hicks [my hero), Mark Dieck.

Also the rest of the crew that worked so hard to finish.

The Iron Butt folks for putting on one awesome rally! :fan_1:

To Davo's family and friends, our thoughts and prayers are with you :heart: . If there is anything we can do, you know we will be there!

Later.

Ig
Congrats Iggy! Was that your dad giving you the Hug when you rolled down to the parking lot? If so he looked and sounded pretty proud.

I thought it was pretty funny when you said you should have went looking for another bonus as you had four minutes left to get back!

Great Job Matt. I look forward to hearing about your IBR ride. Let me know when things settle down and I'll bring over the beer. :)

Dave

Prayers going out to Davo's family and all involved. Sorry I didn't really get to meet the man himself. Maybe someday. Take care Davo...PM. <><