2011 Ibr Who'S In

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's cool, Melt. Sometimes people are shy in public... I agree with you on first timers and Mt Everest. But, to each his own - it's each person's time and money to spend, soooo....

I use, and like, Mapsource. Perhaps because it's what I learned on. I don't think there's any major advantage between the different softwares, each has good points and less good points. The newer versions of Streets and Trips can export a file that you can load into your Garmin GPS, but if you are already tinkering with Mapsource, I'd say to stick with it. Others may say differently. :lol: I sometimes use Google Maps too. Especially if in Mapsource, the location looks a bit 'sketchy' - I zoom in to street view and have a look around.

Yes, rallymasters.org is a good place to look for rallies. I just looked at the site and just about all the events show dates TBD. I think there's links to the actual event's website, which probably has more specific info. Again, if you aren't sure, ask!

Good luck! Hope to see you at a rally sometime!

I was in California for the Cal-24 back in 06 and the Tioga pass was not open and this was late June the Sonora pass had just opened so Snow will be an issue.
Do you, or anyone, know of a fairly concise website to see what passes are open? Maybe there's one site, or maybe there's one for each state?

Thanks!

edit - one more question, is there a general rule of thumb for which passes might NOT be open yet by June 20th? By elevation? Other factors? We just don't have that issue on the east coast, so I have zero knowledge...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in California for the Cal-24 back in 06 and the Tioga pass was not open and this was late June the Sonora pass had just opened so Snow will be an issue.
Do you, or anyone, know of a fairly concise website to see what passes are open? Maybe there's one site, or maybe there's one for each state?

Thanks!

edit - one more question, is there a general rule of thumb for which passes might NOT be open yet by June 20th? By elevation? Other factors? We just don't have that issue on the east coast, so I have zero knowledge...
I believe we would have to go to the Transportation dept. of each state. I wolud think if they get a normal year snowfall out west there will still be some closed passes. Tioga for instace is one that opens late. There are some passes that only open a few months a year. So it would be wise to do some research before heading out.

Anyone know when the start and end points will be announced? I'm not crazy :crazy: enough to ride the rally, but plan on being on the road in the PNW around that time and sure would like to stop by and gawk at the wackos. :lol:

Anyone know when the start and end points will be announced? I'm not crazy :crazy: enough to ride the rally, but plan on being on the road in the PNW around that time and sure would like to stop by and gawk at the wackos. :lol:
Not sure when exactly, but probably not too much longer now. They are announced to the riders before the public to give the riders a chance to make their arrangements before spectators take up all the rooms at the inn... I'd suggest keeping an eye on the IBA web site or other places where official info is distributed.

But to be clear, not even the riders have been told anything more than what has already been announced publicly.

You'll see some interesting stuff at the start! I suspect things will be about the same as 2009 in terms of timing, etc. The start is a decent time to see the bikes and talk to the riders. There will be some who are frantic, trying to sort out some last minute something or other. If you don't have a real solution for those folks, stay out of their way - if you ain't helping, you're hindering. :lol: Riders will probably be mostly there by Friday - Rally 'stuff' starts Saturday - check in, odo, tech, etc. There's a lot of seminars and things that the riders need to go to as well.

Check points are a little more hectic for the riders. Get in, get scored, get to bed. Some may chat for a minute or two, but it's not a great time or place to try and chat with the riders. The finish is a good time, of course. But then they're exhausted and likely drunk :yahoo: or :angry: depending on how things went.

Regarding highway passes. CA should be a problem.

https://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm

I've only lived here in OR 12 years but can't remember any highway passes not open in June.

Not sure about WA.

I think Logan Pass (Going to the Sun Highway) will be the last one to open (something like June 24 this year) but who would do that on the IBR. It takes a half day on a good day.

but who would do that on the IBR. It takes a half day on a good day.
Which could make it a good location for a high value bonus. Rally routing tends to be based on where we have to go to get points, vs. where we want to go.

Well today I got my email from Lisa and will be sending in my deposite for the 2011 IBR.
I'm in too. Just made the final payment. All the forms in and I am good to go. :yahoo:

See you in June!

- Colin
Colin,

Great that you finally announced your intention publicly. Should be an awesome experience. I wanted to say something earlier to the forum but my proper manners prevailed! BTW... I have dibs if a set of wheels becomes available!!

Great that you finally announced your intention publicly. Should be an awesome experience. I wanted to say something earlier to the forum but my proper manners prevailed! BTW... I have dibs if a set of wheels becomes available!!
Thanks on the descrete bit. A few people knew but I was trying to stay under the radar. But I figured its only six months to go and I've paid all my fees so I might as well stick my head up.

No problem on the wheels for me. When I bought my '05 FJR in the summer of 04 (Was one of the first 05's in Canada) my Dad bought one at the same time. Only a few digits off on the serial number, and the licence platers are only off by one digit. And of course with my parents in Toronto that is a reasonable drive to the secret checkpoint in ??????.

The plan is that he will bring his bike there on the back of his truck with all the necessary tools. I am just going to pull the rear wheel off his bike (which will have brand new tires) and do a simple wheel swap. Just back tire as I am pretty sure I can do the whole thing on one front. But if I run into issues with the front tire (or any other parts of the bike) his becomes the instant doner.

Going to have to figure out how to post pics. I've just started pulling the bike apart for the winter maintenance and prep and I have a shitload of stuff I'm going to be doing. Everything from new HID's, Valve adjust, new stator, reinforced rear subframe and of course fuel cell. Im sure that would be of interest to more than a few non-IBR people here.

- Colin

Hi all-

I'm in riding the '06.

I have a spare rear rim and like Matt will mount it with a ME880. Front will probably be a PR2 and will do the whole rally. This time, I will carry the tools (torque wrench). Gotta make a run up to the border for a Nexus card sometime soon.

Colin - you running with the trailer?

Canadian FJR
Nope, not on this trip. I'll use it on longer trips when I am camping. Makes packing the tent and such so much easier. But on this ride there is simply no time to be "camping" (tent, sleeping bag et al). Not to mention the constant drag on gas and tire wear. The FJR will pull a trailer easy, but it chews up the rear tires alot faster when you do!

For this ride everything I am going to need is on the bike. My Dad is going to be at the halfway checkpoint with his FJR in the back of his truck and a care package to replenish the suppies on the bike. I'll swap the rear wheel for the one on his bike which will have a fresh tire. All my clothes will be in a backpack in the sidebag. He'll bring a second backpack I will have already prepared. Pull old one out, push in new one. For the tank bag I will have a couple ziplock bags of food and snacks, pull out the remenants of the old snack bags, drop in new ones. This gives me a new rear tire, fresh clothes and a recharged supply of snacks for the second leg. And I can do the whole thing myself in 20 to 30 minutes.

- Colin