2011 Ibr Who'S In

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really enjoying the discussion.

Speaking of PR2's, car tires, etc.

I think the Pacific Northwest start will make Alaska a closer target. For those who have been there, would that impact your choice of tire?

Being a June 20th start, will all roads to Alaska be passable at that time of the year, keeping in mind that some passes in California/Nevada are not open before May some years?

I'm really enjoying the discussion.

Speaking of PR2's, car tires, etc.

I think the Pacific Northwest start will make Alaska a closer target. For those who have been there, would that impact your choice of tire?

Being a June 20th start, will all roads to Alaska be passable at that time of the year, keeping in mind that some passes in California/Nevada are not open before May some years?
I was in California for the Cal-24 back in 06 and the Tioga pass was not open and this was late June the Sonora pass had just opened so Snow will be an issue.

Congratulations you guys on getting in. As for the PR's, you will make it on one tire no problem. They wear much longer on a long ride like the IBR. Alan Barbic changed his at the second checkpoint last time. I put another 6K on that tire after he changed it. (We swapped wheels in Anaheim.)

Alaska? Probably. Prudoe Bay? If it is on there, it will be a total sucker bonus to us at the rider meeting as a bonus to NOT go for, kind of like Hawaii or Panama. Riding it in June won't be like riding it in August like they did a few years ago.

You guys have a good time, I will be rooting for ya!

Good luck gang, after totaling the FJR, I decided that trying to set up a another bike in that short of time just wasn't worth it. I'm going to the 1088 and I'm helping run the LOE now so I'll have to find one more 24-hr rally to jump in this year. I'm planning to try for the 2013 if they'll have me again. I like some ran one set of PR2's in 2009 with no issues, I then turned and road home ended up with 13.5K when I changed them. IMHO they are the best tire for a multi-day rally.

For all the veterans taking a break have fun next summer hope to see you on the road and all the new riders have fun, know your limitation and focus on taking advantage of your strengths.

I'd be willing to bet I had more fun than anyone else in 09,
I'll take that bet. And I'll win!

Glad you had fun, I had a frigging blast!
Leg 3 was a highlight for me. I suppose you rode all the way to MI. Show off :)

4267196939_2fbfe8e368.jpg

True, I did go to MI. But that doesn't mean that I didn't have a frigging blast. Wisconsin and Michigan were a real treat!

If we are talking about life of the rear tire why not go to the darkside.... just asking?
Tom,

I had a friend go to the darkside. Took his bike out a few times. Handling is compromised to the point that I would rather resolve replacing the back tire.... Just my personal opinion/experience.

Perry

Perry...

No problem .. It was just a suggestion :rolleyes: ..... I just happen to know a couple of fellas that rode for three weeks with a car tire on the back of their bikes.

No problem .. It wasj ust a suggestion :rolleyes: ..... I just happen to know a couple of fellas that rode for three weeks with a car tire on the back of their bikes.
.. and one of them is putting a fresh PR2 on tomorrow morning.

That being said, if I were to be doing the IBR, I'd be giving serious consideration to the car tire.When your slabbing most of it, the only diff is that when your crossing SD you can let go of the bars for 22 miles and take a break.

I have 11,200 on my PR2s on my BP* ST1300 still legal, strangely still roundish

*for posting on this forum , I am saving you all the trouble of saying it, the ST1300 is a bloated pig (BP)

That's me , a giver.

At a BBG pace for consecutive days, tires will wear much faster - no more than 6,000 miles from a sport touring compound. Competing for top ten spot will require that at times, so, if that is the plan, consider having at least a new rear tire at each checkpoint.

Ryan

"There's Absolutely No Excuse for the Way I'm About to Act"

https://www.longerfasterstronger.wordpress.com

The hardest compound possible. I've had the best results with Metzeler Marathons up there.

Never any guarantees, but yes. Atigun Pass can have snow, ice, or blizzard conditions any day of the year.

Ryan

"There's Absolutely No Excuse for the Way I'm About to Act"

https://www.longerfasterstronger.wordpress.com

I'm in!

Vowed not to subject myself to this thing again, but had a weak moment.

Starting and finishing on the west coast and the fact that I'm not getting any younger were the two main reasons to apply for 2011.

At this time I'm really looking forward to it! We'll see how I feel in early June. :rolleyes:

tel

Best of luck to all who are riding in the 2011 IBR. Safe travels.

As for me, I think I've got my bike dialed in fairly well and hope to try in 2013. I'm a n00b when it comes to rallies and that will give me enough time to compete in some smaller ones to learn the ropes. If I've learned anything from reading over the ride reports on running rallies it's that preparation seems to be a key factor...as well as having a few screws loose. I've certainly got the "few screws loose" part down. :)

You're a smart man, Melt. Ride as many rallies as you can if you'd like to try the IBR. Include multi-day events in your trials. There's a rally called The Beast in The East that is running in 2011, it's a 5 day and would be great training for you. I don't have the website handy, but a google search should find it easy enough. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you the info.

In addition to building up to 11 days, it boggles my mind why anyone would want to make the IBR their first rally. Not everyone enjoys the sport, why start out with a monumental financial and time commitment to find out??? Start with some smaller rallies and see what equipment works for you, how you handle being under pressure 'on the clock' and what your limits are. And if you even enjoy the sport. THEN try to jump into the big event...

Good luck with your rallies - feel free to ping me if you have questions or whatever that you might not want to post publicly :)

edit to correct that BiTE is running in 2011, not 2010!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kitty. I hear you on people trying the IBR as their first. Seems to me like a novice mountain climber trying to scale Everest their first time out. Not a terribly good idea.

Is there a website which lists various rallies which are up & coming? The one that I'm aware of is

https://www.rallymasters.org/

which seems to keep a bunch in one place.

For now, I've been playing around with mapsource a bunch to learn effective route planning which is also obviously a key part of a successful run. I know that there has been much discussion on which mapping software to use...but since Mapsource integrates with my GPS, it just seemed easier to learn on it and possibly supplement it with Google Maps if necessary.

I'll be sure to post questions I have in the forum directly. I'm a n00b and know it. I figure others can learn from my boneheaded questions too. :D