2011 SE Ohio Fall Ramble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, I was just down that way last Friday...FYI...Rt 83 from Cumberland to Rt 78 aint a bad road (if you like high speed sweepers)...just ask Bryan or Denny. There are still plenty of roads down there to have some fun on. Looking forward to it :yahoo:

Yep, I have enjoyed 83 from the Interstate down to 78 before...just was trying to find out what roads out east work. I love 556...so for sure I am doing that one.

I am just waiting to hear from Bryan and Denny regarding the questions above...

This looks like a pretty cool ride. I'm too far away to make it, wish I was closer.

My grandmother and then my sister and I ran a pizza shop in McConnelsville for a few years and an uncle had a shop in Caldwell for a while too. I'm not sure who has the shop these days, but we had the best pizza in town when we had it - back in the 80's I'd say.

This looks like a pretty cool ride. I'm too far away to make it, wish I was closer.

My grandmother and then my sister and I ran a pizza shop in McConnelsville for a few years and an uncle had a shop in Caldwell for a while too. I'm not sure who has the shop these days, but we had the best pizza in town when we had it - back in the 80's I'd say.
Yes, since you are from the area Drew, you know about these roads. It is a very fun set of roads thanks to the help of locals like Denny and Bryan who have given this out of towner a good set of roads to work with.

The only question is which roads are gonna be good...the spring floods in this hilly area play havoc with the roads I suspect.

Will anybody else be 2up? And is everybody staying at the Best Western in Caldwell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will anybody else be 2up? And is everybody staying at the Best Western in Caldwell?
Bob, I'm sure that you can hang...even two up. I will probably make a day trip out of this...there is a Campground about 10 minutes from the hotel. Mark, David & myself camped there last year. If your interested...

https://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/wolfrun/tabid/796/Default.aspx
I wasn't concerned with "hanging". :nea: :p

I know janet will ask if there will be other SO's there. The campground looks good. Either there or the motel. If others were staying overnight I figured on a tire kicking, story telling(lying) session. I will bring the truth serum. :drinks:

I don't know yet if anybody signed up is 2up...I don't believe so at this moment...that might change.

Bob, I'm sure that you can hang...even two up. I will probably make a day trip out of this...there is a Campground about 10 minutes from the hotel. Mark, David & myself camped there last year. If your interested...

https://www.dnr.state...96/Default.aspx
Yeah, my son David on his XJ600 and I stayed at the campground last year. It was plenty nice for camping Bob.

I will be staying at the Best Western this year...as this Ramble is part of my trip down to EOM and I'm not camping on this trip.

I don't know yet if anybody signed up is 2up...I don't believe so at this moment...that might change.

Yeah, my son David on his XJ600 and I stayed at the campground last year. It was plenty nice for camping Bob.

I will be staying at the Best Western this year...as this Ramble is part of my trip down to EOM and I'm not camping on this trip.
I will probably be solo, so it doesn't matter where. I would just prefer to be where the other folks are. Even you Mark! :p

I will probably be solo, so it doesn't matter where. I would just prefer to be where the other folks are. Even you Mark! :p
Well if that's the case I might have to come down Saturday night...just so you got someone to drink with ;)

Mark, do you have this route in a gps/gpx file? I'd like to get over this way on the way to EOM.

George
Hoo yah! +100.

That is one twisty lookin' mother of a route you've got there, Mark. If you do have this in a GPS file format would you mind forwarding it to me too?

There's just no way I could make it the weekend you have planned, what with time off for EOM the following weekend, but I'd sure like to try and hit some of the southern/eastern part of the loop on the way down to (or back from) KY.

Here ye! Hear ye!

Calling for all sporttouring type riders for the 2011 SE Ohio Fall Ramble! 350 miles of curvy road riding bliss. Gather on Sunday September 18th.

The route is as follows (or close to this)...

2010Rambleroutemap-350miles.jpg

Like the previous couple of years, we are basing this Ramble out of Caldwell, OH. Griff and I are staying at the Best Western, reservations have been made already...I have no idea how many rooms are available, so check quickly. There is a great family restaurant within walking distance of the Best Western for breakfasts and dinners.

Kickstands up (Full tanks) at 9:00am Sunday morning at the Best Western parking lot.

Gas stops/breaks at point 12, point 23, and in Woodsfield. Lunch stop in Marietta at Wendy's.

Thought we'd take an extended stop in Woodsfield at one of the places there...unless people have to hit the road.

So how about it? :clapping:

Being an out of towner, I have no idea about road conditions - so be ready for anything.

Like ALWAYS, these roads are not for the feint of heart, so ride your own ride!

Riders (so far)

wheatonFJR

griff

El Toro Joe

SLK50

yamafitter

drc32-0

Bryguy

Intech

Maybe- damned fence sitters

BikerGeek99

0Face

extrememarine
Well there is another fence sitter out here....maybe...I hope...Bockelrider

I wish I could do this one! I have a good friend in Moundsville, WV and my cousin(s) in Columbus, OH. I cut through SE Ohio fairly often - including next week - on my way to Michigan.

But the timing of this run won't work for me. Wife will be in Ireland on a girlfriend trip and I'll be home guarding the estate and making sure my critters are fed and well rested...

I'd really like to do this but won't know until a couple days before whether I'll be able to or not. I guess I'm another fence sitter.

Doing a litt recon trip for future camping, we went to Hocking Hills State Park. A few roads in that are are freshly paved 686 being one. Of course Ohio put the 18 inches of rolled gravel along the sides. Made a beeline to Ryans in Marietta on 33 as we were hungry.

Doing a litt recon trip for future camping, we went to Hocking Hills State Park. A few roads in that are are freshly paved 686 being one. Of course Ohio put the 18 inches of rolled gravel along the sides. Made a beeline to Ryans in Marietta on 33 as we were hungry.

I can't find 686 Tim in Hocking Hills...where is it?

I doubt if the Ramble route goes through there, lots of cars run though that beautiful park, but it would be a nice area to ride through on the way east to the Ramble. :clapping:

I finished off the Pirelli Strada's last Sat. with a trip down 83/78/555. Put on a fresh set of PR2's today so I should be good to go if nothing comes up (knock on wood).

I finished off the Pirelli Strada's last Sat. with a trip down 83/78/555. Put on a fresh set of PR2's today so I should be good to go if nothing comes up (knock on wood).
I did that ride last Friday...took a half day of vacation and headed south...320 miles of bliss