2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the mistake of clicking on the link Beemerdons posted and could not get the damn thing closed fast enough.
There's a mistake you won't be repeating soon, right?
As you know I am not smart enough to remember things like that. Did anyone else click that link? I did not let it open all the way when I realized what it really was. That man has too much time on his hands. He should be here criticizing the '13 because of all the things it does not have instead of posting links to gay rodeos.

After I puchased my 05 I was told the 06 would have all these new changes and upgrades. All I saw was the same thing which I love, with minor changes leaning toward more touring than sport. The 13 seems to follow further in that direction. I personely would classify the Gen 1's as a Sport Touring machine. The Gen 2's and new 2013 have seemed to comprise Sport for more Touring. To each their own. Yamaha marketing seems this is the direction to take to sell more bikes. I will personely be more interested when I see the FJR upgraded more in the Sport department. The Gen 1's reminds me of a 1969 Z-28 Camero,the Gen 2's a 1979 Z-28, and so on. I know which I like best!

here ya go
Nice side-by-side comparison. For us PNWet folks, it *looks* like the new fairing design provides better foot protection against the elements. Makes me want to get an up close look of the '13...sooner rather than later!

--G
I have the OEM foot guards on my Gen-II which would seem to provide at least as good foot protection - got 'em after getting my tootsies badly soaked on a ride in the tail end of a hurricane a bunch of years ago - so THAT isn't a good reason to change my ride yet.

5VS-W0745-60-00.jpg

I like the look of the new Gen3, some nice improvements. I wont be purchasing it any time soon, but I am sure it will provide a useful parts bin to upgrade a Gen2 bike. Well not my bike, as I have done as much as I want, for now :) . (I do like the look of the new Akrapovic tail pipes, especially with them being as quiet as the OE) I am sure the upside down forks and head stock will be interchangeable maybe even the fairing complete?

Let the modding begin :)

A

I made the mistake of clicking on the link Beemerdons posted and could not get the damn thing closed fast enough.
There's a mistake you won't be repeating soon, right?
As you know I am not smart enough to remember things like that. Did anyone else click that link? I did not let it open all the way when I realized what it really was. That man has too much time on his hands. He should be here criticizing the '13 because of all the things it does not have instead of posting links to gay rodeos.
I fully admit that I am a bonafide Charter Member of RadioHowie's "Secret Society of FJR Forum Gen2 Haters", I actually was one of the first Forum Members that RadioHowie recruited into the "Secret Society of FJR Forum Gen2 Haters"!

We're like the Masons, you don't join us: You're selected and recruited by RadioHowie. We know who we are, when I enter this site I first check to see whom else of my Brothers of the "Secret Society of FJR Forum Gen2 Haters" are online.

If you do own a Gen1 and have not been approached by RadioHowie to join the "Secret Society of FJR Forum Gen2 Haters", you need to step up your activities here denouncing Gen2's, their owner, the owner's Mother and even their dogs!

BACK ON TOPIC: Even though I'll always own Gen1's, naturally the still fastest and best handling 2003's, I'm highly impressed by the 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300. I like everything about it: Mechanical, styling, features and price point $$$!

Regarding the lack of self canceling turn signals, I started riding on the street in March of 1963: Motorcycles did not even come with turn signals back then, let alone self canceling. Even though old and senile, I can still turn off the damned signals!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3923.msg30357#msg30357 PLEASE NOTE: I'm so impressed by the 2013 FJR, I've started a promotional thread over at my AZ Beemers MOA Club. Have already received death threats from Hans und Dieter in BMW Motorrad Berlin!

Topic: It's a known fact all BMW Owners secretly lust after the mighty Yamaha FJR 1300!

If you're finally ready to move up to the World's Finest Motorcycle, the Yamaha FJR 1300, you will discover the 2013 model has everything you're looking for!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sort of liking it. But have an issue with what it looks like and feels to me is that they started modifying the bike for the new design - started at the front and then ran out of time and did not do the back of the bike. It just feels weird to me. Its a visual tripowowski - old back, new front, half-n-half bike to me. :( :p

cheers
With not making any significant, if any at all,changes to the bike from the seat back isn't such a bad thing, especially for those who have a custom seat or top case & mount from their Gen II, swaps right over to the Gen III.

I really like the bike. :clapping: :yahoo: When my the local dealer gets theirs in December, I'm gonna take a hard look at it.

Doesn't have self-canceling turn signals???!! Really???!?!?! That's a failure??!?!?!

I'm sorry, but publicly admitting that you're not qualified to operate your machine because you can't turn off your own goddamn turn signal disqualifies you from criticizing how the bike is equipped.

Safety oversight???!!!?!?! The safety flaw is putting someone on a 145-hp bike who thinks the bike should take care of him instead of the other way around.

Sorry if it pisses you off, but dayum!!! How hard is it to mash the middle of the button after your turn???
wfooshee Rant Grade: 7/10

Marked down for lack of appropriate adjectives and adverbs.... suggested replacements are as follows:

Really???!?!?! -------------------> What 'da fuck???!?!?!

That's a failure??!?!?! -------------------> Are you shitting me??!?!?!

Safety oversight???!!!?!?! -------------------> Safety is for fucking choads!!!

Sorry if it pisses you off, but dayum!!! -------------------> Sorry you are a drian-bramaged moron, but fuck me running, that's dumb!!!

Helping.... ;) :lol:

Doesn't have self-canceling turn signals???!! Really???!?!?! That's a failure??!?!?!

I'm sorry, but publicly admitting that you're not qualified to operate your machine because you can't turn off your own goddamn turn signal disqualifies you from criticizing how the bike is equipped.

Safety oversight???!!!?!?! The safety flaw is putting someone on a 145-hp bike who thinks the bike should take care of him instead of the other way around.

Sorry if it pisses you off, but dayum!!! How hard is it to mash the middle of the button after your turn???

Marked down for lack of appropriate adjectives and adverbs.... suggested replacements are as follows:

Sorry if it pisses you off, but dayum!!! -------------------> Sorry you are a drian-bramaged moron, but fuck me running, that's dumb!!!

Oh For Fuck's Sake, I'm laughing so hard, tears are running down my cheeks!!!

WarGod, that's about the funniest thing you've ever written! My hat's off to ya!

("fucking choads" nearly had me on the floor!!!)

Have just read this from a UK dealer. Will GenIV be a 3 cylinder FJR in the future?

"Yamaha are showing this concept engine at Intermot, a three cylinder cross-plane engine derived from the YZF-R1/YZR-M1 engines. They are stating that this is an indication of the future of Yamaha engines?"

Again, clearer this time.

Is it too early to bitch? Why can't a bike that knows what gear it is in, what speed it is going, throttle position, and whether not the brakes are being applied, has all sorts of other whiz-bang technology, not have self cancelling turn signals? It should be easy for a computer programmer to come up with a solution given all the info available. Yes, I still occasionally forget to turn them off, and I see plenty of others with the same affliction. To me it's a safety issue, cancelers should be mandatory.

Should a flagship product be lacking cancelers. In my opinion, no!

Would you people that are so dead set against having them, accept not having them in your car?

And by the way, to the naysayers. :finger:

Ya know...I've thought long and hard about this bike and really, there's only one thing I want to know.

Did they relocate the freaking coolant filler tube at all? Seriously, my Gen II is about a perfect bike but the placement of that damn tube is the most asinine thing an engineer could do. I seriously want to strangle that guy.

Ya know...I've thought long and hard about this bike and really, there's only one thing I want to know.

Did they relocate the freaking coolant filler tube at all? Seriously, my Gen II is about a perfect bike but the placement of that damn tube is the most asinine thing an engineer could do. I seriously want to strangle that guy.
Jasen, it's a piece of cake to move that panel out of the way enough to get a funnel in the opening without breaking it. I did it and its very doable. That should be the least of your problems! :p

Yes, I know. Thankfully I only had half the front end taken apart by following the manual before turning back to the search here to discover that I could do just as you say. It's still dumb though. I've had 600cc race replica bikes which are a compact package that were easier to get to that than this bike.

Seems like it wouldn't be so hard for them to fix it, especially if they are redesigning and tweaking. Seems like an easier task than a sixth gear or 100 extra cc.

I like it, this is a great improvement. I really like the throttle-by-wire and cruise control. No more need for spring unwinds, no more funky throttle locks.

I have a large enough male organ to not need a sixth gear or another 98cc of motor.

The big negative to me is color. What is it with Yamaha USA and garage floor gray? If they only want one color, why not black!

I had a pretty bad get-off on my 2008 earlier this week. I was pretty happy when the adjuster told me that he wasn't going to total the bike, but now I'm not so sure. That D&H price seem really reasonable.

All-in-all, it's a good sensible upgrade to a great bike! :yahoo:

I like it, this is a great improvement. I really like the throttle-by-wire and cruise control. No more need for spring unwinds, no more funky throttle locks.

I have a large enough male organ to not need a sixth gear or another 98cc of motor.

The big negative to me is color. What is it with Yamaha USA and garage floor gray? If they only want one color, why not black!

I had a pretty bad get-off on my 2008 earlier this week. I was pretty happy when the adjuster told me that he wasn't going to total the bike, but now I'm not so sure. That D&H price seem really reasonable.

All-in-all, it's a good sensible upgrade to a great bike! :yahoo:

Did I miss a post where D&H in Cullman AL. have already set a price what they will let a 2013 go out the door for?

Oh For Fuck's Sake, I'm laughing so hard, tears are running down my cheeks!!!

WarGod, that's about the funniest thing you've ever written! My hat's off to ya!

("fucking choads" nearly had me on the floor!!!)
+1, Gunny; absolutely outstanding Brother Dale, as an ex Army Sergeant that had military written all over it (damn good for a Squid!).

My intention has been to ride my 04 until the wheels fall off but this is tempting. I'm in the sport camp of sport-touring. Improvements to throttle, ECU, stock suspension plus traction control and all done without adding weight is like a menu of what I want.