2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iggy Text Update - not good:

Matt is some 400 miles out with a blown rear shock.
fool.gif

Not just a little blown... the shock is complete toast; he is riding on the rear spring only.

Been there. 2001 IBR. Southbound out of Tok, AK. Hit a pothole you could pit roast a pig in. The extension stroke on the rear suspension was hard enough to rip the end cap out of the Ohlins shock on my R1150GS.

It was a hobby horse all the way to Edmonton at which point it finally siezed up. Then it was a hard-tail to Madison, AL.

No, that wasn't fun.

However, so long as Matt stays on "calm" roads, he should get it to the barn.

Jeff

Iggy Text Update - not good:
Matt is some 400 miles out with a blown rear shock. :fool:

Not just a little blown... the shock is complete toast; he is riding on the rear spring only.

Not a good situation. Says his steering is obviously affected, but he has control of the bike

He says as long as he rides in no worse than gentle interstate sweepers, he's good. But he's done collecting diddly... he is heading directly to the barn at a greatly reduces pace.

I am not worried yet... be he has my attention. :weirdsmiley:
Go Matt-Head down- focus

Count the hours

You are a short timer now

Kickstand down will feel sweet.

Thanks for the update WC

Last edited by a moderator:
3 of 4 SPOTs clearing my area, keep it nice and steady, watch the IN troopers. Steady and safe, we're all pulling for you.

All 4 have inched past and look to be heading safely east.

Would love to know where Wendy is and whether this little(I hope) glitch for Iggy might play in her favor. After leaving CP2 she had to know there was a golden ring dangling out there!

This has got to be a really rough time to decide when enough might be enough!

Looks like traffic is starting to pick up on the PA Turnpike. Sure would like to know whether everyone thinks these boni are just easy pickings or they are some significant points that can't be passed up.

The rear shock wasn't on anyone's mind when we looked at Iggy's rear tire Richard. At that point we were only concerned of the rear tire having enough life in it. If we had even slightly suspected the shock, I would have been happy to give him the rear shock off my '05.

Would love to know where Wendy is and whether this little(I hope) glitch for Iggy might play in her favor. After leaving CP2 she had to know there was a golden ring dangling out there!
This has got to be a really rough time to decide when enough might be enough!
So you know how rumours and speculation spread?

Well my "instinct" is that Wendy is within striking distance of the finish, mopping up a few last bonuses.

Where is that "wink" icon when you need it?

I just got off the phone with eeksnake. He is in great spirits and heading to cranberry. He says he may be a little into the penalty period, but still has time to spare before dnf time. Says he is having a great time, and enjoying seeing so much of America.
Go Chris!!!

IMG_8137.jpg

Looks like Iggy's about 300 miles out and one state away now. Getting passed and probably getting his lower back pounded, but making steady progress. I'm not sure any of this goes back to you guys failing to inspect the shock. Probably has more to do with paying the price for having messed with the haircut.
fool.gif

The IBR really is a very cruel mistress and a very fickle one at that, one minute you are her favorite pet, discarded the next. Best laid plans of mice and men et al ...

Wishing Iggy a safe ride to the barn. All may not be lost yet..

Shocks can look perfectly fine until they fail. Once that seal leaks, the heavy miles will rapidly pump oil out increasing heat, and failure is rapid.

Richard, had it been leaking at RC, you would have seen it. Direct line of sight when you're slipping that rear wheel in.

My rear Wilburs failed during the 2008 Spank - and the reason wasn't found until Hans rebuilt it.

In Iggy's case the cupped rear tire would be pounding the crap out of the shock - escalating the failure.

The IBR really is a very cruel mistress and a very fickle one at that, one minute you are her favorite pet, discarded the next. Best laid plans of mice and men et al ...
Wishing Iggy a safe ride to the barn. All may not be lost yet..
Way too soon for discarded!

Could this rumor of shock stress be a tactic?

Or is there really some Karmic (haircut) pendulum at play?

Staying tuned for sure!

C'mon Iggy!!! Nice and easy. Move along: these are not the bonii you're looking for.

Fingers crossed for a successful finish.

Can't wait to see how this leg turns out. A lot of interesting insight (arm chair speculations) over the last day.

Wishing all a safe ride in and hoping my fellow Tri-Citian makes it in safe and on time. A top 10 finish would be great, but I hope for a top 3 for him.

Rider 129, doesn't appear to be on the Turn Pike. I hope he's just resting and not having problems.

I am lying awake in hour two of torrential downpours, thunder and lightening. The only thing I thought to do is check Spot. Sure enough, there are 5 riders in the northern VA suburbs of DC and another handful a bit further out. Here's to all the riders to weather the storms safely tonight, it is really nasty out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.