2017 Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really haven't decided....
smile.png

Juice, my whole wheel swap strategy is on hold until I find out where the 2nd checkpoint is, as that will be the only time it makes sense to do it. I may take you up on the tire assistance at the start.

If I don't ride the FJR, then I'll have a spare wheel for an '07 that someone can borrow for a wheel swap. I'm not sure what earlier models the '07 wheel is compatible with, but I do know that it won't work with later models.

You know if you show up on the FJR you'll be going to Alaska and if you show up on the GS you'll be going to Key West
rolleyes.gif

I know your 07 wheel will fit all ABS models going back to the beginning of Gen I and up to '07.. I don't remember if your ABS wheel will work on a non-ABS but I think it will.

Anyone here know how difficult getting finisher banquet tickets is? (As a non participant)
Very likely if you jump when they open it up to the public (of course the riders, family members, and staff should get first dibs) you probably won't have a problem....especially as a past finisher.

I was fortunate enough to get selected for the IBR this time around.

I totaled my '06 AE in Sept during the BMRx rally. Got a '15 ES to replace it on the day after my birthday in early December. Going to have to get used to a clutch again.
smile.png

I was fortunate enough to get selected for the IBR this time around.
I totaled my '06 AE in Sept during the BMRx rally. Got a '15 ES to replace it on the day after my birthday in early December. Going to have to get used to a clutch again.
smile.png
Congrats and best of luck to you. I hope to see you at the finishers banquet. Probably a checkpoint (Or 2) also.

I live just outside of Greenville, SC. and have a HF tire changer and spare wheels that fit an 07 FJR {silver}, If anyone from this forum is riding IN the IB and needs them they can borrow my wheels. If the IB comes near here and they need help I would be glad to help, I have a trailer, and my tire changer is mounted on a sheet of plywood.

One quick note about rear wheel interchangeability. The 03 FJR rear wheel had TWO bearings mounted right next to each other in the rear wheel. As best as I know, ALL other fjr's only have one. SO, if you try to put a rear wheel from a later year on an 03 you have to use a different {shorter} spacer, and visa versa. Just sayin.

One of the many biannual members checking in early, because this is where the best coverage comes from. Looking forward to hitting F5 this year.

I am $2075 poorer today which means I was lucky to be selected to ride in my 4th IBR. It would have been my 5th but I had to drop out in 2011.

I will be riding my new RT so the gold wing will be sitting this one out.

I have been testing a car tire on the RT and so far with 2000+ miles it has worked great. I think I am the only one using a car tire on a water cooled RT.

BMWRTCT1a.jpg

BMWRTCT2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to you TM,

It will be a good test for the FD. If you end up this way and need any assistance during the rally let me know. I have a lot of tools and a tire changer.

Dave

I am hoping you have a great ride Greg. I see you still have the wing (Pic)

I hope to see you at the start/checkpoints?/Finish. If you need any storage somewhat closer to Minn.,,, let me know.

Ride safe my friend.

Best of luck, travel_man, even though you're not on an FJR. ("Road Grimed Astronaut" sticker = LIKE!)

Any word on where the checkpoints will be?Forgive me if I'm not supposed to ask.
Riders just found out a few weeks ago, but the locations are not public yet. They will be once they give the riders enough time to make reservations at the specific hotels.

For those who were asking about checkpoints, IBA just released all the information you need in the IBA Forum (in a thread accessible to all forum members). At this time, they requested that people not cross-post the specific hotel information.

START WEEKEND 6/24 - 6/25 (location is west Minneapolis)
Monday, June 26
Motorcycle Impound 8am
Rally Start 10am

CHECKPOINT 1 INFORMATION - Wednesday, June 28, 8pm - 10pm (location is in the vicinity of NW Dallas)
Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm
Scoring opens at 5pm
Leg 2 Bonuses distributed at 4am, June 29

CHECKPOINT 2 INFORMATION - Saturday, July 1, 8pm - 10pm (same location as Checkpoint 1)

Scoring opens at 5pm

Leg 3 Bonuses distributed at 4am, July 2

FINISH - Friday, July 7, (same location as start)

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01am

Scoring opens at 5am

Finishers' Banquet 6:30pm

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who were asking about checkpoints, IBA just released all the information you need in the IBA Forum (in a forum accessible to all forum members). At this time, they requested that people not cross-post the specific hotel information.
START WEEKEND 6/24 - 6/25 (location is west Minneapolis)

Monday, June 26

Motorcycle Impound 8am

Rally Start 10am

CHECKPOINT 1 INFORMATION - Wednesday, June 28, 8pm - 10pm (location is in the vicinity of NW Dallas)

Scoring opens at 5pm

Leg 2 Bonuses distributed at 4am, June 29

CHECKPOINT 2 INFORMATION - Saturday, July 1, 8pm - 10pm (same location as Checkpoint 1)

Scoring opens at 5pm

Leg 3 Bonuses distributed at 4am, July 2

FINISH - Friday, July 7, (same location as start)

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01am

Scoring opens at 5am

Finishers' Banquet 6:30pm
Mamma Lisa moved to Dallas this year so having CP1 & 2 there makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.