85 Octane in The FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have personally never seen an owners manual for any vehicle that recommends 85 octane gasoline. Around here every station has it and I have never noticed any difference in performance or mileage when using it in my cages but have been reluctant to run it in the FJR.

I live at 5800' elevation. Rides frequently vary from 3000' to 11,000'.
The 85 at your altitude is the same performance octane-wise that we sea-level folks get in 87. You're wasting your money putting mid-grade in it just to get 87. Put in the cheap stuff and send me the difference.

I've also been burning premium gas in all of my toys, dirtbike, four wheeler, bandit, etc. to avoid ethanol. I've been told "E" is horrible for motorcycles. The one thing I couldn't glean out of this thread was if higher octane gas hurts the FJR or not. If not I think I'll still try to avoid putting corn in my motor and leave it for feeding hogs like it should be used.
Find other stations. Around here, ethanol-free is available in all grades, not just premium. And it's not going to destroy your bike. Just don't store it without a stabilzer.

Ironic, in that ethanol was first used in premium as an octane booster. Regular gas, 87 octane. Dump in some ethanol, POOF! 91 octane. (That goes back to when I had hair, and before RadioHowie married his wife the first time.)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread makes feel really stupid. I bought my 07 new and have never put anything less than premium fuel in it, believing it was better for the engine. I live at 7000'. So i'm going to give the 85 octane a chance and report back with how it does.

I would rather run lower octane and save money. If you want ethanol free gas around here it has to be premium and only a few stations have it. How many of you are avoiding ethanol?
Here in Boise it is just the opposite. If you want ethanol free gas you can only get regular and only a few gas stations have it.

If i were able to avoid ethanol I would, no question about it.

This thread makes feel really stupid. I bought my 07 new and have never put anything less than premium fuel in it, believing it was better for the engine. I live at 7000'. So i'm going to give the 85 octane a chance and report back with how it does.
When I first got my '08 I ran premium only, thinking it was the right thing to do. Wrong.

I switched to 85 and see/feel no difference with the exception of a little better mpg.

You can have slight detonation, running 85 and not hear it and over time develope engine issues.

Why risk ruining your engine to save a few cents a gallon? These are motorcycles that get very good milage anyway.

My .02.

Every cycle/car owners manual I've ever read says 87 "minimum". (other than performance/sports cars and some cycles which call for 91)

Friend of mine was running 87 in his Mercedes and his owners manual said 91 minimum.....he develpoed engine problems and the dealer tested his fuel.......they refused to honor the warranty.

Dated but good and accurate article:

https://www.motorcycleperf.com/TechTips/BadGasoline.html

"There are no 4-valve bikes made in the last 20 years that need premium gasoline for normal street use."

"A good rule of thumb is if the bike doesn't ping and runs acceptably with regular, DON'T use Premium. Regular is sold faster, is fresher and will generally start easier and have better throttle response than higher octane gasolines....We have often GAINED horsepower on the dyno when we took away octane."

You can have slight detonation, running 85 and not hear it and over time develope engine issues.
Why risk ruining your engine to save a few cents a gallon? These are motorcycles that get very good milage anyway.

My .02.

Every cycle/car owners manual I've ever read says 87 "minimum". (other than performance/sports cars and some cycles which call for 91)

Friend of mine was running 87 in his Mercedes and his owners manual said 91 minimum.....he develpoed engine problems and the dealer tested his fuel.......they refused to honor the warranty.
Don't even get me started referring to German vehicle warranties. I could "write a book" re: 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI fueling/fuel pump/issues.

When the VW fuel pump failed, causing catastrophic damage to the fuel system. They "honored" the warranty, but said we'd pumped gasoline into our 35K + mile Turbo Diesel Engine (TDI), and that it was OUR fault the fuel pump failed. Bull shit, the only 4 wheeled vehicles we've owned for the past 4 years were diesels. We NEVER fueled our 4 wheeled vehicles with the wrong fuel. They were just trying to CYA. Just look up the issue via Google, and you'll understand what I refer to.

Anyway, this is not a thread hijack, just a little comment about what the German auto dealers try to pull off. My wife and I determined it was a good reason not to buy their products, We sold the German car and returned to a domestic model, for obvious reasons.

Yes, you should keep pumping that premium fuel into your FJR, because Yamaha may test it upon engine failure.

Or you could carefully read about the science related to this issue in this thread, and make your decision. There is an incredible amount of valid information here!

Personally, I never get below 3500 ft. ASL, and usually I'm a lot higher, so I use the 85 or 87 octane. Whichever is available in my higher altitude riding area. For the folks at or near sea level, don't use 85 octane!

Thanks,

This started by me being out West and never had seen 85 octane. Being from the Right coast we have 87 as the lowest. I ran 85 the rest of the time it was available with no issues. Elevation is the key here. I have never put anything but 87 in my bike and was thrown off by the 85. I am back to running 87 obviously and never had a thought about 87 in the FJR. It runs great on 87 and it is what it calls for. However if you are in elevation and 85 is there use it and don't worry over it. I never heard a ping or knock the whole time I was running the snot out of it in elevation.

Keep in mind if you are using a Blender Pump (one where multiple grades of fuel come out of the same hose) you are getting up to 4 gallons of what ever octane the last fuel pumped from that pump. So you may be paying for 6 gallons of 92 octane but in actuality getting 4 gallons of 86 octane and 2 gallons of 92 octane (because of what is already in the hose).

Keep in mind if you are using a Blender Pump (one where multiple grades of fuel come out of the same hose) you are getting up to 4 gallons of what ever octane the last fuel pumped from that pump. So you may be paying for 6 gallons of 92 octane but in actuality getting 4 gallons of 86 octane and 2 gallons of 92 octane (because of what is already in the hose).
I've never heard that before. Makes sense though.... That's quite interesting...

I would say closer to a quart (from switching from one grade to another); it's just going to be the contents within the hose or maybe a little residual from the within the pump (itself).

I've flipped back n forth between grades, I definitely notice more response when (heavily) twisting the throttle upon passing somebody. A bit better mileage also with the higher octane. If I'm just cruising around granny gonad style I use the 87.

I've never heard that before. Makes sense though.... That's quite interesting...
This is one of the reasons E-85 is causing such a stink.

"In an effort to address this potential misfueling issue, EPA approved an industry-submitted [approach] that requires a minimum purchase of four gallons from blender pumps that dispense both E10 and E15 from the same hose and nozzle," the EPA said. "Such an approach would prevent misfueling by diluting any residual E15 left in the hose from the previous sale of E15.

I would say closer to a quart (from switching from one grade to another); it's just going to be the contents within the hose or maybe a little residual from the within the pump (itself).
Just the hose you hold in your hand to pump the fuel holds WELL OVER a quart as you suggest.

It's not that huge a deal on cars/trucks which have huge capacities compared to Motorcycles which typically have 5 gallon or less capacities.

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/news/rightsnews/13-02-11/Federal_agency_wants_separate_E10_fuel_pumps_at_certain_gas_stations_that_sell_E15_ethanol-gasoline_blend.aspx

Just the hose you hold in your hand to pump the fuel holds WELL OVER a quart as you suggest.

Well, it's not; this source mentions 1/3 of a gallon.

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB122944043385810527.html

My .02.

Yes, you should keep pumping that premium fuel into your FJR, because Yamaha may test it upon engine failure.
Yamaha doesn't require premium fuel in the FJR, only 87.

I've flipped back n forth between grades, I definitely notice more response when (heavily) twisting the throttle upon passing somebody. A bit better mileage also with the higher octane. If I'm just cruising around granny gonad style I use the 87.
The only thing octane is for is to control the burn rate of the fuel and prevent knocking/pinging.

So if you think about it, higher octane won't give you more power for passing ect....

Many people think higher octane gives you more power, it doesn't.

My .02.

Yamaha doesn't require premium fuel in the FJR, only 87.
Yeah, I know. Should have said "higher octane than required by Yamaha" or put premium in quotes. My bad. Glad you corrected that.

I'll agree with you, it pays to read the manual. I've never had a problem with 85 when traveling at altitudes where it's sold.