Back Seat Luggage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
As I begin thinking abt my one and only LD trip (Summer '09) of the year, I was wondering if others secure their back seat luggage other than clips, bungees, whatever. I'm not talking abt hard luggage like a Givi but soft luggage like a Motofizz, Nelson-Rigg, duffle bag, etc. that sits on the passenger seat.

What I'm thinking abt is a small cable w/ a key lock and/or a luggage lock that locks thru the zippers.

I've never much worried abt my duffle on the back seat in the past but maybe I should.

Any suggestions?

TIA, Folks.

I usually have a tail bag bungied on when on week long trips on my FJR. I use soft luggage on my SV650 just strapped on for all trips on it. I use a tail bag for riding gear I may need like rain gear, extra layers, and gloves. I also use it for tools and tire repair plugs for emergencies. I do not lock it to the bike it is just bungied on. So far I have not had issues with someone stealing anything. Of course these items are all secured for the night at hotels or in my tent with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I begin thinking abt my one and only LD trip (Summer '09) of the year, I was wondering if others secure their back seat luggage other than clips, bungees, whatever. I'm not talking abt hard luggage like a Givi but soft luggage like a Motofizz, Nelson-Rigg, duffle bag, etc. that sits on the passenger seat.
What I'm thinking abt is a small cable w/ a key lock and/or a luggage lock that locks thru the zippers.

I've never much worried abt my duffle on the back seat in the past but maybe I should.

Any suggestions?

TIA, Folks.
I have a 6' one of these. When I take off for a week I'll carry my camping stuff in a seat bag and wrap the cable around it. When you stop and leave the bike to eat, shop or whatever you can undo the lock and thread it through your helmet D rings and your jacket sleeve if you need to.

James

I haven't used one of these, but have seen them on the back of bikes with large seat bags:

PacSafe 140 Security Web

709210_9996Lrg.jpg

Add one of James' cable locks, and you're safe from all but the most determined hooligan.

I normally leave my bag strapped to the bike when I have lunch, and sit by a window to keep an eye on things. No problems so far - knock on wood.

Now that you have brought up the subject, there have been those few times I have gone for walks in scenic areas (State/National Parks) where I did leave it for half an hour or so and have so far just been lucky. Your post has me rethinking the wisdom of that. I think you are right, a little more security would be prudent.

For a tail bag alone the PacSafe 140 looks like a good consideration…..sounds like a trip to REI is in order to check it out first hand. I guess for the tank bag in those situations, I will just have to use the built-in backpack straps on it and haul it with me.

I bought a small Tour Master Duffel, several years ago, that has built in Bungee cords in the bottom of it. I love the thing. Fairly easy to attach and take off. Been good to me on quite a few trips.

GP

I just remembered, that's it on my old 04 FJR in my avatar. That was on a trip to Canada. Worked great.

GP

I bought a small retractable cable lock off of Whitehorse or some outfit. Brought it along for 6ooo miles last year and never used it once. My bad, but just a pain in the butt. I took my XM, GPS, essentials and camera and stuff -- and just threw them into the tankbag and carried it with me if I was worried. If somebody needs my dirty underwear that bad they can have it. No problems thus far. I guess I just figured over time that the thin cables that were canvenient enough to use were not convenient enough ,and too easy to cut if somebody was serious. So I left it unless the gear was going to be alone for more than a few minutes. Somebody's mileage will vary.

Pacsafe web looks like an excellent idea for soft luggage. I've traveled quite a bit with a medium Motofizz and generally keep it covered up. Knock on wood...never a problem, yet. I think (at least in populated areas) keeping stuff out of sight will give a thief pause as someone would rather do a quick lift than rummage through and/or remove a whole piece. However, I don't keep anything precious in the fizz, generally use it for light bulky items.

--G

True, ROK straps aren't lockable, but as tie-downs for duffels etc. they be da shiz fer sure!! Gunny!

True, ROK straps aren't lockable, but as tie-downs for duffels etc. they be da shiz fer sure!! Gunny!
Wouldn't pack anything without them. Used bungies and other systems through the years, but broke out the wallet based on recommendations on this site and I've since bought more in different length just to have around. Took some extra on long rides and glad I did -- they come in handy tying anything down with a loop or buckle on it.

When traveling on a LD ride I always have some kind of 'soft' bag or 2 behind me. Usually it will be a backpack containing my photo gear, tripod and perhaps a second bag for 'not critical if the stuff gets wet'. I have only used bungies and never worried excessively while on the road. Especially when the camera gear is on the bike I make sure not to wander too far out of sight for too long but I try to use good sense when parking it.

One word:
Rok-Straps

Okay that might be two words...

And worth every penny.
If you don't want to use ROK Straps, most camping box-stores (REI, Sports Authority, Sports Chalet, etc.) have adjustable straps of varying width and length in their hiking/back pack department.

Also different size seal-able plastic bags for packing or protecting clothing or gear.

I don't keep anything that is irreplaceable in my tailbag on the back seat, but tend to lock that in my Givi top case. I do place a cargo net over it so that t looks more secure. I don't think anything would stop a determined thief.

I saw some of these at an REI store. They have them in different sizes. Might be just the ticket.

Hey for what it's worth, I take the rear seat off and secure the pack, duffel, roll bag, etc. with 2 straps in a "X" formation. The buckles are under the seat when it's locked back into place. I know the scumbag could just cut the straps, but if they want it they're gonna get it no matter what. jevers

In ten years of long distance travel, I have yet to experience the loss of something due to theft. Probably because after a couple of long days on the road, the duffle doesn't look worth the risk of getting caught. I keep the valuable stuff in my tank bag and it goes with me for meal and restroom stops. The large duffle bungeed to the passenger seat carries camping gear only.

If you make the extra security very obvious, you're just advertizing the importance/value of the bag. The idea of using straps with the latches hidden under the passenger seat sounds like a good way to go. I may change out the bungees this summer, if I think about it in the packing stage.

OBD