BBG Hell Week - Mission Complete!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My butt got sore just looking at the mileage covered. Helluva ride. I don't think anyone will top that for some time. :dribble:

I just returned late last night.... back safe and sound. Have just a few unbelievable stories to tell about this one, trust me..... B)
Speechless!! Absolutely speechless!!!!

Awesome, outstanding, nucking futz, but way to go!!

I'll buy beers to keep your whistle wet until the stories are over...

dougc

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering how things were going. I've been off the forum for a couple of weeks (wedding and sailboat cruise). OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=GSE=

Wow. Absolutey Effing Wow.

Way to go, Dale!! Congrats, you crazy bastage !!!

And to think I've been called Effing Nuts for doing one !! Just ONE !!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

[SIZE=24pt]Amazing[/SIZE]

Awesome

Unthinkable

GREAT job Dale, a fantastic record!!!

Hurts to even think about it. Can't wait to hear the stories.

Big congrats from Reno!

Congrats Dale!

I have a question:

1. 10636 miles = 2 tires, 3 oil changes... How did you get the maintainance done?
See, this is why I was actually able to accomplish this ride..... the event was planned around me not having to do any maintenance. I did not do anything at all to the bike other that ride it. Brian Roberts (who many met last year at WFO-5) lives in Fernley, Nevada, and he served as the "Event Manager". Every night I would come home and simply step off the bike and let Brian have at it.

And did he ever... he went through FOUR (4) rear tire changes, and each one, HE MOUNTED BY HAND as he has no tire machine!!!!

Here are the three Avon Storm rears that Avon North America provided for this event. Their grip and handling performance proved exceptional - and quite possibly, even saved my life during the Day 3 super-cell thunderstorm around the Carlin/Battle Mountain region - but they would only last through 2 BBGs, and then would be well into the wear bar indicators:

SmokedStorms.jpg

And even after all that, Brian worked on the Blackbird several hours every night, doing nothing more than PM items to help ensure that there was NOTHING that I had to actually worry about other than riding the bike and trying to stay safe about it.

Here's a sampling of the preventative maintenance what Brain did to the bike every night (these nightly tasks are written in green at the bottom of the white board... then additional, more involved tasks he had written in black):

NightlyChecklist.jpg

You truely are a sick bastard! SICK, I say! :D
Yes. Yes, I am. B)

But I promise you this: this BBG Hell Week event WOULD NOT have been successful without Brian Roberts to work the bike, and his wife Jan Roberts who took care of my various injuries, and as a trained, certified Nutritionist, she also took care took care of feeding me all week. Here she is working on the palm of a completely toasted throttle hand after feeding me:

Jan-Hand_Day7.jpg

Wow and congrats! You shouldn't have to buy a drink until someone else tops that (which should be quite awhile...if ever)!

Very nice Dale.

I love maintenance that involves Duct Tape :p

How was the weather other than a storm on day 3.

5 hours of sleep per night per the chart?

Unbelievable!! :yahoo:

Many congrats Warchild, you did almost the impossible and you planned it with enormous skill, care and experience. I take my hat off to you.

tel

What was your route?
There was a different route every day. No two were the same.

However.... I did take advantage of the "NFT" (Nevada Fast Triangle), which is comprised of the roads that intersect of HWY's 375, 6 and 318. Also a lot of use of HWY's 305 and 376. A lot of eastern Nevada was also used... HWY's 93 from Wells to Caliente to Alamo.

But I also used a lot of fast roads in northern California, southern Oregon and western Utah.

There were two days that I had to make up alternate routes on the fly (which can be quite difficult after Day 2, when you're suffering bad mind-mush). One day there was no-notice road construction on my route where there had not been just 2 days before.

The second time was on Day 4, when I was heading back to Fernley via Battle Mouintain. My route back to Battle Mountain was HWY 305... that road had been open earlier that day, but was CLOSED by the NHP in the afternoon due to WILDFIRE!!! This forced me to go around to Fallon and back-track a fair amount to make up the required mileage....

I do about 10,000 motorcycle miles in a year. You do it in 1 week! That sure puts it in perspective. This is one of those accomplishments that gets more impressive the more I think about it. :blink: :blink:

Very nice Dale.
I love maintenance that involves Duct Tape :p

How was the weather other than a storm on day 3.

5 hours of sleep per night per the chart?
Had some brutal cross-winds that I fought almost every afternoon/evening in southern/central Nevada. That sucked. :angry2:

Otherwise, weather was supposed to be fairly decent that week (aside from triple-digit temps), and that turned out to be pretty much the case, which was another reason I decided to press ahead with the event, even though it was getting a bit close to departure for WFO6.

Never got 5 hours per night (took a while to decompress after each run, and I had to wake up a good few minutes prior to departure in order to eat, dress, check weather on the route that day, etc. But I was able to get close to 4 1/2 hours of sleep every night, at least until Days 6 & 7

Congrats for sure!!! And thanks for the motivation! Have been trying to get myself and the bike, ready for some longer rides. A few more farkles, and some more 400 mile practice runs, and who knows!

Absolutley insane. Congratulations. You are now one of my heroes!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Outstanding. That should stand for a while.

Congrats to you and the outstanding support team!

When did you switch to the Silverbird? I must not have been paying attention.

The silverbirds are indeed the best. ;>)