BeemerDonS crashes, is in hospital.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mobility is going to be his biggest challenge. As one of our resident medical members put it, he's screwed in trying to work his knee because he can't shove a crutch under the armpit of the shoulder that got all busted up to try and get up on his feet. One day at a time with a long road ahead!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that sucks. All that pain killer and no alcohol to consume in the hospital. I hope it wasn't his "service" hand/shoulder.
fool.gif

Well, chickenshit! First visit to the forum in a few days, lotsa family business going on here occupying my time.

My worst moto injury is a sprained ankle, so I can't imagine being busted up so bad they have to order parts!

Family and friends checking on him at the hospital: "So how is he, Doc?"

Doc: "Well, we got him out back while we wait on a few parts we had to order, didn't have 'em in stock since they's not ever any real call for 'em.... We're looking at two, mebbe three days for those to show, then we start the tear-down and we'll see if ever-thin' fits like it should."

And then just to make it worse, he gets no beer, bourbon, or tequila either, right?

.... It was soon clear that Don had not been standing idly around waiting for RussL and me to come and help, nope, he had made a plan to get out of this mess and here is the plan.
Don says, "RussL your going to strap my tank bag and gear on your bike and Darrel, I'm going to ride on the back of your GS back to Hwy 74."...
"Don doesn't plan for catastrophes. Catastrophes plan for HIM."

"Don doesn't cheat death. He beats it fair and square."

"Don has a grizzly bear rug in his den. The grizzly isn't dead. It's just afraid to move."

"Don doesn't wear a watch. HE decides what time it is."

...RussL goes to work again on the knee but instead of a tourniquet he applies direct pressure by using duct tape to hold the "bandage" in place.
The trained folks get right to it checking vitals, fresh "real" bandage, shot of morphine, etc. They then needed to get to the arm that was broken but Don still had his jacket on, so they asked if they could cut it off, "I prefer you don't" he said. So they sat him up and got the jacket off and with hardly a grunt Don was laid back down. (I have had a broken collar bone and shoulder blade at the same time and pain like that will make you speak in tongues, but Don is one tough hombre and I tip my hat to him.)

Apparently he thought this was a taxi service.

We got his phone out so he could make a couple of calls to notify Donna and after there was nothing else for us to do we left.
Love the duct tape fix.

Taxi service, yep, that's the morphine talking'... damhik

Got the phone out...

Hey AzBeemers peeps, Thank You for taking care of the Dirt Donk!

Job well done, really.
punk.gif

Back in the day people used to ask me why I only raced MX when I was so much better at Endure or Hare n' Hound...

My response?

"Because no matter where I am on the MX track, I can see the Ambulance!"

Heal up my wounded Dirtius Donkius!

So, word is that Don will be transported to Sante of Chandler Rehabilitation Services (and Senior Care Center ! ) this evening.

Sante is on the NW corner of Dobson and Pecos Rd. in Chandler.

825 S 94th St, Chandler, AZ 85224

(480) 630-3676

His room should be #154.

Days after a motorcycle stunt, Papa Chuy is in a SENIOR CENTER? Say it ain't so!

Let's see how he handles a keyboard first, but as soon as he can wipe his own butt, we gotta get a plan for bustin' him out, back to the land of burros, cervezas and motobikes.

"Senior Care Center" You know Don's lovin' that one.....................................and hoping they're not talking about the nurses.

Paragraphs are our friends.
Posting here from an iOS device, no doubt. If you don't know the tricks it will remove all of your formatting on you.

.... It was soon clear that Don had not been standing idly around waiting for RussL and me to come and help, nope, he had made a plan to get out of this mess and here is the plan.
Don says, "RussL your going to strap my tank bag and gear on your bike and Darrel, I'm going to ride on the back of your GS back to Hwy 74."...
"Don doesn't plan for catastrophes. Catastrophes plan for HIM."

"Don doesn't cheat death. He beats it fair and square."

"Don has a grizzly bear rug in his den. The grizzly isn't dead. It's just afraid to move."

"Don doesn't wear a watch. HE decides what time it is."

Which reminds me... has anyone ever seen Don and Chuck Norris in the same room before?
unsure.png

PS - Props to the AZ Beemer friends. One can only hope to have such capable responders along if you plan on taking a biff.

Well shit...Don't check in for a few days and looks what happens.

Give Don a hug for us when you local guys see him. Is he planning to still make it to SW-FOG? He should be healed by then but maybe still a little stiff.

AJ, did he get into the red shit on the side of the road like Jackie and I did?

Guess I should check in more often as I just heard about your get off. Sendin' some healing mojo your way. Get well my friend.

Hey Guys, heard any great dirt bike riding adventure stories lately? jes' sayin' and nuff said, Wowsr!

I think this is a Ride Report in a way.
This is my recollection of the events and if there are some inaccuracies or exaggerations that is to be expected from me.

We headed out on Castle Hot Springs with myself in the lead and RussL trailing me and Don covering the rear. The first 8 or 9 miles is pretty easy riding but there was enough dust we stretched out to avoid it. I am a big believer in keeping visual contact of the person following in my mirrors as was RussL. We slowed or stopped a couple of times to regroup or take a pic and then continue. The well maintained part of the road was now behind us and it got a bit more primitive for an unskilled dirt donk like me. I stopped when I saw RussL was not behind me and waited for a couple of minutes and still nobody. Turned around and thought I saw RussL also going back but he was well ahead of me. When I caught up I saw RussL's bike parked at the side of the road on the outside of a curve. As my view through the curve opened up I could see Don standing near his bike and it was laying on the ground. I parked and asked how he was doing and told me his arm was broken. I could also see his right pants knee was torn and he was leaking blood like an old Harley Davidson does oil. It was soon clear that Don had not been standing idly around waiting for RussL and me to come and help, nope, he had made a plan to get out of this mess and here is the plan. Don says, "RussL your going to strap my tank bag and gear on your bike and Darrel, I'm going to ride on the back of your GS back to Hwy 74." At that point RussL and I both suspect he is in a bit of a state of shock and we explain that ain't gonna happen. There is no cell service where we were so I head off to one of the houses we passed looking for a phone. I make contact with a local that climbs up one of the nearby hills and calls for an EMT unit while I get back to Don and RussL. When I arrive there is a couple in a Jeep and the husband and RussL have put a towel on the knee wound and made a tourniquet. Don has been leaning again a bank along the road and is now getting light headed so we get him to lay down with his feet uphill and put something under his head. RussL goes to work again on the knee but instead of a tourniquet he applies direct pressure by using duct tape to hold the "bandage" in place. The EMT unit shows and the first guy out of the back is a fireman wearing his fireman pants, (do those guys ever take them off?) The trained folks get right to it checking vitals, fresh "real" bandage, shot of morphine, etc. They then needed to get to the arm that was broken but Don still had his jacket on, so they asked if they could cut it off, "I prefer you don't" he said. So they sat him up and got the jacket off and with hardly a grunt Don was laid back down. (I have had a broken collar bone and shoulder blade at the same time and pain like that will make you speak in tongues, but Don is one tough hombre and I tip my hat to him.) Somewhere along the line a Dustoff was called in to get Don quickly to the hospital in case there was internal bleeding or damage. When informed he would be flown out, Don's reply was, "I'm not getting on any Huey with a da*n Army pilot flying.!" Hmm. This from a guy with 6 years in the Army, might be the morphine talking. But after a bit of back and forth someone said it was an ex-Marine pilot and all was good. The pilot put that bird down in a tight little area of the road and while getting him on a gurney to get to the helo Don told the crew he lives in Chandler and would like to go there. Apparently he thought this was a taxi service. The crew loaded him up and off they went. I rode Don's bike to a safe place and afterward RussL and I took off to the hospital. He was still in the Emergency area and knowing they don't like visitors I told the nurse I was his brother and she walked RussL and me back to see Don. We found him still clutching his tankbag that we gave him prior to his flight out. We got his phone out so he could make a couple of calls to notify Donna and after there was nothing else for us to do we left. And that is the end.

Nice looking knee! You look like you were just kicked back and chillin' in those first two pictures!

Seriously glad to see you posting Don. Heal well!

Here's some shots of the bike. As you can see, it fared much better than Don did !

Overall
IMG_0080.jpg

All damage is to the right side, just like Don. The crashbar did it's job. A lot of that is mud. Did Don hit a wet spot on the clay?
IMG_0081.jpg

The Touratech hand guard did an excellent job also. Scuffed, bent, but solid. Minor lever scrape.
IMG_0082.jpg

Mirror is scuffed, but not broken or even bent.
IMG_0083.jpg

Windshield took the worst of it. Don will have to retrace rides to get new stickers for it. Headlight cover damaged.
IMG_0084.jpg

Turn signal popped out of its mount with a bent tang. It popped right back in.
IMG_0085.jpg

Latest posts