Bluetooth question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I currently have several devices feeding audio into an Ampli-Rider. The AmpliRider is a mixer with it's own volume control. The AMpli-Rider used 3.5mm stereo jacks. I have speakers in my helmet and have a wire from the Ampli-Rider to the helmet. It works fine most of the time but the wire gets in the way and I'd like to go wireless.

The two most important devices I listen to are my Garmin Montana GPS and Passport 8500 X50 radar detector. Neither has Bluetooth capability built-in.

I m looking at the Sena SMH10 or SMH10R to use as a wireless Bluetooth headset. I'm not sure I need the intercom capability, but I'm sure I'd use it if I had it.

Anyway, I am looking for a way to transmit Bluetooth from the Ampli Rider output jack to the Sena (or some simpler Bluetooth receiver). Has anyone done this? Any advice about what works and what does not work?

I wonder if something like this iCLever IC-BTT01 transmitter will work. It uses Bluetooth V2.1 while the Sena device uses Bluetooth V3.0. Or do I need to match the version of Bluetooth on the transmitter and receiver?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the Nuvi 765t had bluetooth. Why do you need to plug a bluetooth transmitter into it?

Gary

Perhaps you should restore your bike to bike capabilities while you're at it.

I thought the Nuvi 765t had bluetooth. Why do you need to plug a bluetooth transmitter into it?
Gary
I have the Scala G4, it only supports the headset protocol and the 765t only has A2DP. My understanding is that the Sena works with A2DP.

I am no expert in this, but I thought that is what the Sena SR10 or SM10 is for?

BTW, I was finally, after a couple years of deliberation about to pull the trigger on the SMH10 system when I find out they are coming out with a new model - the 20S, sometime early 2014. So now I am waiting again...........

https://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/20s/

Perhaps you should restore your bike to bike capabilities while you're at it.
Yeah. I think if I had a better FRS/GMRS radio it would be more reliable. Being able to use the microphone for FRS/GMRS via Bluetooth adds another dimension. That's the shortcoming of the Sena system, it uses a different frequency and has a limited number of devices it can communicate with. My priority is being able to hear the GPS and radar detector.

Gary
I have the Scala G4, it only supports the headset protocol and the 765t only has A2DP. My understanding is that the Sena works with A2DP.
Thanks. I think the Sena supports A2DP. I haven't looked closely at the Scala. I guess I'll go read up on that next.

I am no expert in this, but I thought that is what the Sena SR10 or SM10 is for?
BTW, I was finally, after a couple years of deliberation about to pull the trigger on the SMH10 system when I find out they are coming out with a new model - the 20S, sometime early 2014. So now I am waiting again...........

https://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/20s/
I did see the 20S on the Sena website and it supports Bluetooth V4, but I don't know wht V4 supports that V3.0 doesn't. The 20S is a smaller format and I expect it's pricier.

It is. The SM10 is what I have. It works but it isn't cheap.

That is why I have been playing with a wire set up for years. Cougar has a decent discount on Sena equipment and that's why I decided to look at that instead of other options.

The more I research this the more I am convinced that I could probably just get a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver as long as both support A2DP and it would serve my purpose, but I have been down the cheap route before and it generally works, but not well.

Exactly right. I played with the idea of a cheap BT Transmitter dongle. Too much of a hassle and no guarantees it would work at all, never mind well.

FWIW I do like the Sena SMH10-11 headset and would recommend that brand and model if you really want to go wireless. The -11 allows you more flexibility in placing the boom mike than the regular SMH10.

The more I research this the more I am convinced that I could probably just get a Bluetooth transmitter and receiver as long as both support A2DP and it would serve my purpose,. . . .
This crossed my mind as I was reading. I'm happy with my Mix-it setup and earbuds but it would be nice to jump off the bike for fuel and whatnot without having to unplug. Keep us posted please.

I currently have several devices feeding audio into an Ampli-Rider. The AmpliRider is a mixer with it's own volume control. The AMpli-Rider used 3.5mm stereo jacks. I have speakers in my helmet and have a wire from the Ampli-Rider to the helmet. It works fine most of the time but the wire gets in the way and I'd like to go wireless.
The two most important devices I listen to are my Garmin Montana GPS and Passport 8500 X50 radar detector. Neither has Bluetooth capability built-in.

I m looking at the Sena SMH10 or SMH10R to use as a wireless Bluetooth headset. I'm not sure I need the intercom capability, but I'm sure I'd use it if I had it.

Anyway, I am looking for a way to transmit Bluetooth from the Ampli Rider output jack to the Sena (or some simpler Bluetooth receiver). Has anyone done this? Any advice about what works and what does not work?

I wonder if something like this iCLever IC-BTT01 transmitter will work. It uses Bluetooth V2.1 while the Sena device uses Bluetooth V3.0. Or do I need to match the version of Bluetooth on the transmitter and receiver?

Geezer- The simplest way would be to use the Sena SMH 10 along with the SR 10 that you could plug your GPS and RD directly into. It works well, just a bit pricey

Thanks for any help.

I have this setup, which works very well for me. YMMV:

• a Sena SMH10 headset with the earphone jack instead of the hard-wired speakers;
  • a Sena SM10 bluetooth transmitter
  • I plug the output jack of my Zumo 550 to the SM10 main input;
  • I plug the audio output of my V1 radar detector into the SM10 aux input;
  • I plug custom molded ear phones into the SMH10 earphone jack;
  • My phone pairs with the Zumo, but in practice I never use the phone while riding. (As far as I know, no one has found the necessary incantations to allow music from a phone to work in this setup, but I haven't looked into it lately.)
Once it was all set up and the credit card bill was paid, it has been rock-solid and worry-free. I get all the goodies from the Zumo -- navigation prompts, XM, MP3s, audio books -- plus alerts from the V1, and can step away from the bike at gas stops without having to unplug.

I did a 17-hour Saddle Sore last Saturday, and the headset charge lasted until the last hour -- not bad at all, considering the generally low temps throughout the day. I plugged in a portable USB battery pack to finish up the ride. The transmitter charge lasted the entire ride.

I have this setup, which works very well for me. YMMV:
  • a Sena SMH10 headset with the earphone jack instead of the hard-wired speakers;
  • a Sena SM10 bluetooth transmitter
  • I plug the output jack of my Zumo 550 to the SM10 main input;
  • I plug the audio output of my V1 radar detector into the SM10 aux input;
  • I plug custom molded ear phones into the SMH10 earphone jack;
  • My phone pairs with the Zumo, but in practice I never use the phone while riding. (As far as I know, no one has found the necessary incantations to allow music from a phone to work in this setup, but I haven't looked into it lately.)
Once it was all set up and the credit card bill was paid, it has been rock-solid and worry-free. I get all the goodies from the Zumo -- navigation prompts, XM, MP3s, audio books -- plus alerts from the V1, and can step away from the bike at gas stops without having to unplug.

I did a 17-hour Saddle Sore last Saturday, and the headset charge lasted until the last hour -- not bad at all, considering the generally low temps throughout the day. I plugged in a portable USB battery pack to finish up the ride. The transmitter charge lasted the entire ride.

Thank you tcfjr. After reading what others have posted and doing as much research as I am able to comprehend. I am leaning towards a similar setup. The only thing stopping me is the cost.
omg2.gif
I have found some pretty good prices on Sena equipment, but it's still not cheap.

I think I'll get the Sena SR10 rather than the SM10 so I can use my FRS/GMRS radio. I can then plug my two way radio, radar detector, and gps directly into the SR10 or I can leave the detector and GPS in the Ampli Rider and plug the output from the ampli-rider into the SR10 so I can have an extra input for a cell phone or whatever. Most likely I'll remove the Ampli Rider altogether until I really find that I need it. That thing has a lot of wires and connectors which I won't need.

And the SMH10 headset looks like the way to go. The reviews of the Midland Next unit are pretty good, but the price is much higher.

Now all I have to do is convince myself to spend the money. This idea started when I got a good deal on a new helmet. The savings on the helmet won't cover the cost of either Sena device.
greedy.gif
\

I have a group ride planned for April where the two way radio will come in handy, so I have a few months to decide.

I have basically the same setup as tcfjr except I actually use the Sena SMH10-11 helmet speakers instead of the ear buds. Otherwise same same.

One thing to be aware of, Geezer, is that the SR-10 BT transmitter (which does support the use of 2-way radios) is monaural broadcast only. You could still pair a stereo BT (A2DP) source (iPod or iPhone etc.) directly to your headset, not going through the SR-10, but then the music will be interrupted anytime anything happens on the SM-10 based on the priorities at the headset.

The SM-10 is a slightly different animal as it establishes a stereo A2DP and a mono Headset link to the headset. The way I have mine setup is I plug the audio output port from the zumo to the SM-10 main input and RD goes in the Aux input. I've set my Zumo's bluetooth headset output audio config to "Phone Only" which means that the GPS prompts and any music always goes through the output cable to the SM-10.

The iPhone gets paired to the zumo and the zumo BT output gets paired to the headset as a phone. And the SH-10 gets paired to the headset as a multimedia device. When a phone call comes in it supersedes the SM-10 audio, so I would not hear RD alerts, turn directions or music if on the phone, but I'm OK with that. That setup works quite well, but there is no ability to add a 2-way B2B radio in that particular configuration, if that is important to you.

(Corrections made as I had model numbers wrong)

Greg - I took Sooze and I wireless earlier this year.

Like tcfjr, Sooze and I have SMH-10 headsets. We do the intercom thing through these.

I also added a SM10 BT dongle.

Dongle dongle dongle... I like saying, "dongle."

Anyway, the SM10 transmits XM (in stereo - it's A2DP) outta the Zumo along with turn-by-turn directions. I have my phone paired - as a phone - to my headset and the SM10 as a 'media' interface to our headsets.

The biggest PITA is getting all the volumes balanced. The SM10 has a volume boost feature which works well to listen to XM, but I haven't gotten my phone volume worked out yet. That's a low priority for me 'cause I don't necessarily want to talk on the phone while I'm riding anyway.

One thing aboot the SM10 - they say battery life is 8 hours. They MEAN 8 hours, too. Get to 8 hours and 1 second and that sucker has a dead battery. I got a power cord from RocketMoto and have it powered outta my Fuzeblock and it lives under the seat. For now. I may move it up to the glove box thingamabob if I get motivated.